Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

This is concerning, these people in this community are going to have a fight on their hands.

Mass police, firefighter layoffs begin in Camden | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Why those first?

Why not the bloated City jobs?

I like how Reagan dealt with the air controllers union!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
It simply amazes me how many times they pull this scam and people fall for it.

I don't care which city or state it is, EVERYTIME there's some sort of budget issue, the FIRST think they threaten to do is lay off cops, firefighters and teachers. It's NEVER City Hall office staff, administrators. It's NEVER cutting things which the people don't use. It's always the things people count on.

Why do they do that? To frighten people into paying more taxes! Rather than cut the stuff the city could do without, they cut the most important. And it works! Every time!

Just wait and watch. It won't be long before a bond issue comes up and, after a few weeks without enough cops and firefighter's, the people will approve it.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Hasn't happened in Newark's case yet, after they gutted the police force. Crime has spiked and the NJ national guard I heard might be involved. No bailouts or bond issue to my knowledge.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why those first?

Why not the bloated City jobs?

I like how Reagan dealt with the air controllers union!!!
168 police and 67 firefighters were laid off.

148 others were laid off as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Some drug dealers were wearing tshirts today that had todays date and then the words
"it's our turn now"

I feel for the citizens of that city.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
I bet that Camden's city council members have free cars, gas, insurance, etc.

The 1st layoffs should always be non-essential government workers.

Make the tough cuts....period.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Well considering that Camden is ranked 2nd or 3rd in the state for crime this is not a very good decision but let's face it it is never the over paid counsel members or the zoning board members ohhhhhh no we need them.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
I guess last year's stimulus plan merely delayed the inevitable. I wonder if the stimulus wasn't passed, would states have been better to motivated to make the smaller budget cuts that were needed at the time to prevent huge cuts later?

I know in NY the stimulus cash gave the politicians enough false confidence to increase the state budget by 10% making this year's deficit rise exponentially.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I heard talking today, that if we think 2010 was bad, we are really in for a surprise. As far as many people who will be losing jobs, getting demoted, hours being cut drastically, which has already happened with my daughter. Housing market, they say is going to be so very bad, way too many foreclosures on the market, the lists is unbelievable. And businesses across this Country shutting doors. I really don't care who gets the economy going, at this point a Martian from Mars i would welcome! just wish our elected officals, would work together, and do something to fix this downhill, downswing, economy. I see no difference from months ago as far as the economy showing signs of relief, know more people losing hours and getting demoted after being on their jobs for so many years, sales inspite of what the experts are saying, are not what they should be.
Without a good housing market, things will automatically be down, regular listings forget about it, too many foreclosures, and people just can't make their mortgage, this is sad, and not a sign of a good recovery. The way the experts were talking today, more layoffs our here to stay, and will be from all around this Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies