Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The current "Free Trade" arrangements provide huge profits to the financiers that make the agreements to the cost of the American economy and workers. As these financiers effectively control the government through political contributions and after the fact bribes, I do not have any hope that the necessary change from false "Free Trade" to an actual Fair Trade, based on leveling by using countervailing tariffs, will ever be made. The simple fact that our corporate class has extorted, through monopoly control of prices, enough money to exclude the rest of the population from and effective representation.

Sadly, you are correct, but why don't Americans stand up for themselves intead of accepting this "let them eat cake" envioronment?

We have the best government money can buy. WE do not own it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Why don't you ask Bill Clinton who signed Nafta and the rest of the Democrats who vote every chance they get to increase the cost of doing business here.
Someone had to support their lifestyle. Isn't that why we pay taxes and work for cheap wages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
The premise was that the foreigner does the same job (thus of the same quality) as the American. Or are you saying that foreigners can't ever do the same jobs as Americans?
I have had work done by both and know many who have used foriegn laborers in the skilled trades and often the work sucked. My nephew had a house built and he said there wasnt a straight wall in the house, all done by foreign labor, and their were other things. It was not a cheap house either. I am picky about these things and I don't care who does the work, as long as they do it well. I have had problems with both foreign and domestic. I was referring to your statement though that didn't make much sense to me.

Also, you often get what you pay for. eta: I have gone the cheap sometimes and lived to regret it.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
IMHO - Bill Clinton and his wife are among the best manipulating liars we ever elected. They never had the interests of most Americans in mind but were driven to buy their way, using our prosperity, into the very top levels of politics and finance. They led our party into the hands of the international financiers. I, as a liberal and a Democrat, despise them.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
As I implied, I do not like paying twice for having something done. Do it right and do it once. As the old saying goes, "The cheapskate pays the most."

Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
We are right back in another Clinton era.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
We are right back in another Clinton era.
We should be so lucky to have the type of economic and wage growth under Clinton compared to the castastrophy of the George W. Bush years.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
We should be so lucky to have the type of economic and wage growth under Clinton compared to the castastrophy of the George W. Bush years.
Yeah, I wish, I sure miss Bubba, those were the days.
Casper

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Because technically there is no "the" economy. Every human's wealth is his personal economy and from that point of view paying less for the same amount is economically good. When you can chose between hiring a plumber for $10 per hour or $40 per hour who does the same job it's not a difficult choice to pay the cheaper one, be he a foreigner or not.

Companies that outsource jobs have can keep more wealth at their disposal to spend at their own leisure instead of someone else's for some abstract notion of solidarity.
Nothing wrong with the notion of solidarity. Don't know why you'd think there is.

Besides, it aint like that $40 dollar an hour plumber sticks that money under his mattress. He SPENDS it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nothing wrong with the notion of solidarity. Don't know why you'd think there is.

Besides, it aint like that $40 dollar an hour plumber sticks that money under his mattress. He SPENDS it.
Hey I'm not stopping you. It's your choice and your loss. Just don't cry for daddy government to help you when your spending spree has impoverished you

Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
The only real benefit to the consumer is slightly lower costs on goods, but the main reason for going overseas is to maximize corporate fat cat profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies