Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's horrible to use this lovely young girl's disappearance to pull the "race" card.

Agreed.. ...what a disgusting thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
You wanna know how many children that go missing that never gets coverage? Quite a bit.

She's gotten good coverage in my area. If the clues are correct, this girl is as good as dead.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
78 google news results for phylicia barnes.

compare that to a natalie holloway who had the whole country riveted.

i believe the media and people in general dont care because 1. she isn't the blonde hair, blue eyed beauty 2. a missing person in baltimore is a daily occurrance 3. they assume because of location and other reasons that its her own fault for what happened to her.

a natalie holloway who goes off in some country partying is not at fault at all, but phylicia barnes is because she is from an environment that would induce deviant behavior, that she brought it on herself.

im telling you, people assume barnes is in her position because of something she did, compared to a holloway, who put herself in that position, we all know she went overseas. but we need 24/7 coverage of holloway, and dont give it to others.

i really dont think race is involved much at all. holloway was just the pretty girl nobody could touch.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Nearly 800,000 children under the age of 18 are reported missing each year in the United States, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

When asked if race played a part in how hard law enforcement worked at finding these kids the Vice President, External Affairs, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children said:

Mr. HERB JONES: I think once law enforcement in particular receives information about a child being missing, and particularly young children, there's an immediate response to it. And they will respond no matter what color, because a innocent child is out there some place unknown and probably in harm's way.
There is a concern about, when we receive calls or when law enforcement receives calls, from 13 years and up that they tend to think that that child is a runaway. This could be correct, but in instances when it has not been correct, then the worst case scenario develops. So we try to encourage law enforcement to take all of these calls very seriously.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Very Sad, but today's reality. For every week in the U.S. a child, baby, or teen, is kidnapped, and these days the outcome not so good. I have seen this story on Jane, and Nancy's shows. Our children today, are not safe anymore, to even play in their own yard, and this is sad, and a not so goodd part of our society. Does not look good for the poor girl, but how i wish with every breath of me, that this girl is found.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
78 google news results for phylicia barnes.

compare that to a natalie holloway who had the whole country riveted.

i believe the media and people in general dont care because 1. she isn't the blonde hair, blue eyed beauty 2. a missing person in baltimore is a daily occurrance 3. they assume because of location and other reasons that its her own fault for what happened to her.

a natalie holloway who goes off in some country partying is not at fault at all, but phylicia barnes is because she is from an environment that would induce deviant behavior, that she brought it on herself.

im telling you, people assume barnes is in her position because of something she did, compared to a holloway, who put herself in that position, we all know she went overseas. but we need 24/7 coverage of holloway, and dont give it to others.

i really dont think race is involved much at all. holloway was just the pretty girl nobody could touch.

WRONG!

The circumstances of a kid's disappearance makes all the difference in the world.

Holloway was a girl going with a bunch of other kids on a Graduation vacation who disappeared while there was supposed to be adult supervision and on foreign soil where it looked like there was favouritism involved due to the accused kid's Father's status.

That makes for a big story just as the girl abducted at knife point from her own bedroom.

A girl who seems to have run away by her own volition doesn't have any of those sensational aspects

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
i just dont get why natalie holloway was such a big deal.

again, it was proven she brought what happened on herself by flying over there. im not saying she deserved to die. im saying, through her lack of decision making, she let what happened to her, happened to her. why am I supposed to care about that?

I care more about someone completely innoncent like barnes, who probably is dead, but has received little attention.

what about holloway makes her more newsworthy then barnes outside of the fact that holloway looked real good.

this is identity newscoverage, simple as that.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It has gotten a lot of coverage in the Baltimore/Washington/MD/NoVa area. The difference may be because of those young women that were listed all were considered kidnapped. The take here is that she is a runaway.

This girl is from the greater Charlotte area.....runaway is not the way it is being told here. The consensus here is that someone took her, she told someone (maybe her step sister) that she was going to get something to eat and hasn't been seen since.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
One thing that is being shared with the public today is that the mother of Phylicia Barnes is moving to Atlanta to be with family. I understand needing to be around family but it doesn't make sense to me why she would leave the home that this young girl knew right now. I mean, "what if" the missing girl found her way there?

It just doesn't make sense....

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's horrible to use this lovely young girl's disappearance to pull the "race" card.

I disagree. I am white, conservative and southern. and even i can see that the news covers blond haired blue eyed girls way more than anything else.

This case is just as tragic as any the media has spent untold hours on and while I have seen a blurb on foxnews, and others have seen some small mention on other stations, it isnt the same level of coverage.

not the race card here. It is fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies