Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If you can't understand that telling someone "to take the bone out of your nose" is a racial slur against the person he is talking to then you are either being deliberately obtuse or your lack a well-rounded education.
OK - I did 3 minutes of research on this.

1. Rush admits the comments back in the early 70's and felt guilty about it.

2. Tucker Carlson in 2004 on CNN:

Hold on. Settle down. Lighten up. It's not a kook radio show. Look, you know the guy's telling jokes. I mean, I must say if there's one issue that divides the parties -- it's not a race issue, that's a pretty tired throwback, I think that stopped working in about 1984 -- Hold on, lemme just say one thing. If there's one issue that divides the parties, it's humor. You have on the one side this kind of relentless, harsh, grim, dour humorlessness, and on the other side, you know, I don't know Rush Limbaugh, whatever you think of him, he's pretty amusing.

So Rush is such a racist that you have to go back to a questionable quote made almost 40 years ago to make your point. I think that says more about you guys than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You sound like Wayland Woman - he chooses to make his point differently than you would.

He's half black, half white correct? He would not call Jesse Jackson "halfrican" because Jackson is 100% black.

I've listened to Rush for a while. He uses terms as these from time to time to get on the nerves of liberals. Plus it gives him attention and is free advertising from those who hate him. But it's based on truth - in this case, the true race of Obama.

Black people call other black people worse names that "Halfrican".
Was it necessary to use such a term for President Obama? Calling him "halfrican-American"? Sounds more like a racial slur than a fact. "halfrican" is a racist comment because it is using RACE to deride President Obama. If Rush really had a problem with the President's policies, then he should have mentioned policies and policies alone rather than to bring up those stupid racial anecdotes.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Limbaugh: If we take away liberals First and Second Amendment rights it would reduce all the hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Dumb*** Quote of the Day : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

If you can't beat them, just suppress their rights till they can't fight back any more.

I remember a couple of decades ago how that was used to eliminate dissent...

Obviously, Limpbag and his dittoheads have a severe phobia of differing points of view. They're only safe and warm inside their own thoughts.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think if we took Limbaugh away it would reduce a lot of hate.

So true.... When I hear of what he says ( I really would never waste my time listening to him) I think of " he who calls name, usually answers the same"

Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Was it necessary to use such a term for President Obama? Calling him "halfrican-American"? Sounds more like a racial slur than a fact. "halfrican" is a racist comment because it is using RACE to deride President Obama. If Rush really had a problem with the President's policies, then he should have mentioned policies and policies alone rather than to bring up those stupid racial anecdotes.
Was it necessary to call Bush Hilter? Couldn't Maher and Olbermann simply disagreed with Bushs's policies rather than make similarities to the man responsible for mass murder?

Obama and the media has you guys so hypersensitive that you can't think straight. Bush understood freedom and took the insults like a man. Obama is thin skinned and can't take the insults (big ears). Plus the racism is a benefit to keep people in his camp who don't think through the issues. So from their perspective, why not keep it up?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
If you can't understand that telling someone "to take the bone out of your nose" is a racial slur against the person he is talking to then you are either being deliberately obtuse or your lack a well-rounded education.
OK - I did 3 minutes of research on this.

1. Rush admits the comments back in the early 70's and felt guilty about it.

2. Tucker Carlson in 2004 on CNN:

Hold on. Settle down. Lighten up. It's not a kook radio show. Look, you know the guy's telling jokes. I mean, I must say if there's one issue that divides the parties -- it's not a race issue, that's a pretty tired throwback, I think that stopped working in about 1984 -- Hold on, lemme just say one thing. If there's one issue that divides the parties, it's humor. You have on the one side this kind of relentless, harsh, grim, dour humorlessness, and on the other side, you know, I don't know Rush Limbaugh, whatever you think of him, he's pretty amusing.

So Rush is such a racist that you have to go back to a questionable quote made almost 40 years ago to make your point. I think that says more about you guys than him.

He called Obama a "magic negro" just a year or two ago so your 40 years ago defense doesn't work here. If you don't understand the historical reference and how that is a racial slur then you might want to spend 3 minutes researching that. Hint: Blacks in white face depicted on toys that bounce up and down on a string among other, things that the term "magic negro" refers to.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
He called Obama a "magic negro" just a year or two ago so your 40 years ago defense doesn't work here. If you don't understand the historical reference and how that is a racial slur then you might want to spend 3 minutes researching that. Hint: Blacks in white face depicted on toys that bounce up and down on a string among other, things that the term "magic negro" refers to.
Nope. That would be the LA Times.

But it's clear that Obama also is running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination — the "Magic Negro."

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia Magical negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

Limbaugh discussed the article, and people attributed the comment to him - but that is not the case.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Was it necessary to call Bush Hilter? Couldn't Maher and Olbermann simply disagreed with Bushs's policies rather than make similarities to the man responsible for mass murder?

Obama and the media has you guys so hypersensitive that you can't think straight. Bush understood freedom and took the insults like a man. Obama is thin skinned and can't take the insults (big ears). Plus the racism is a benefit to keep people in his camp who don't think through the issues. So from their perspective, why not keep it up?
All Presidents get insulted. I think George Washington may have been universally admired, but after that, it was fair game to attack the policies and actions of Presidents. And even to attack their personal histories and idiosyncracies.

And that's a fair use of freedom and the media.

It's especially important when other policies and agendas are being put forward.

But, I've listened to Limbaugh over the years, and been amused by him, and offended by him. I can't say that I've ever learned anything from him, though. He doesn't put forward policies, he doesn't offer solutions. He makes a living putting down liberals and criticizing their policies. He makes a very good living. Some conservatives seem to take Limbaugh very seriously, and I think Limbaugh takes himself not seriously enough. He has a large audience and a devoted fan base. Instead of suggestions like the one that instigated this thread, wouldn't it be nice if he could actually be constructive?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
Nope. That would be the LA Times.

But it's clear that Obama also is running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination — the "Magic Negro."

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia Magical negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

Limbaugh discussed the article, and people attributed the comment to him - but that is not the case.
No one said Limbaugh invented the term, magic negro. Surely you can't deny that he gleefully and repeatedly played the 'magic negro' song on his show, not once but on twelve separate shows. His intent was not just to "discuss an article. He feeds on controversy and if he upsets the black community in the process he gives himself a big gold star on his propaganda chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Bao...eature=related

Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
No one said Limbaugh invented the term, magic negro. Surely you can't deny that he gleefully and repeatedly played the 'magic negro' song on his show, not once but on twelve separate shows. His intent was not just to "discuss an article. He feeds on controversy and if he upsets the black community in the process he gives himself a big gold star on his propaganda chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Bao...eature=related
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3391015.story

Limbaugh was quoting the LA Times. La times coined the phrase do you ever hear about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies