Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM

723 posts, read 634,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
I'd rather not, thanks!
If you refuse to educate yourself about something, you should also refrain from commenting either way on it. That is a *choice* you could make. And a wise one at that, as it will save you quite a bit of embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
for whatever reason? Do you not see a problem with it? There are a few likely "reasons" why
1. They were gay all along: In this case, they decided to get married anyway despite "knowing" that they were gay. That really shows a lot about their character. Standing before God and man declaring their love for their wife, all the while knowing that they were gay!
2. They were in love: This is a likely scenario. But, something happened during the marriage, and the husband turned gay. Or, he said that he was gay to get out of the marriage. Either way, this person was definitely a heterosexual who married a woman, and something changed internally for him.
3. he was confused: This never happens with homosexuals.
1. People who make arguments just like this one and, well, all the rest of your arguments, are the ones who create the stigma that influences people to do that. Being gay is not the problem; the problem is others' reaction to it.
2. Actually, that is far less likely than #1. You might try asking some people who have been in that situation. You might, actually, try doing even the most basic amount of research if you are going to comment on these things.
3. That's very possible actually, but still less likely than #1.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I never said you do have to believe in Him. I can't make you believe in Him anyway. But I can give my $.02 about morality. The fact that mine is based off of an unchanging source and your's is fluid, changing all the time would seem to me to mean that mine is superior. .
You may want to read into the history of religion a bit before claiming the Bible an 'unchanging source'. The words themselves have been changed through translation, the interpretations are subject to the ages and even the method of interpretation (metaphor vs. literalism) has changed within the last 150 years. Not to mention, there are very few things that are permitted and encouraged in the Bible (polygamy, slavery, ownership of women, etc) that are acceptable today.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Your facts are not at all true and/or proven. There have been many studies that show that homosexuals have more mental,& emotional problems than others. Also, there is no consensus that homosexuality is not a choice.
Actually, there is quite a bit of consensus. I encourage you to research this if before commenting.

Quote:
How do you explain bisexuality? How do you explain gays that marry (an opposite sex partner) and then turn gay later?
Bisexuality is simply another normal variant of sexuality. I encourage you to research this if before commenting.

Quote:
I'm sure that there are some gays who feel that they were born gay. BUT... that doesn't exempt them from choosing how they live. Did Tiger Woods stop playing golf just because he was black? Did Larry Bird choose to be a basketball player?
Really? You actually said that? Really?

Quote:
There are kids who are born with all sorts of problems, and many of them never recover from it. BUT... all adults have a choice in how they act. If you want to be gay thats fine. But don't use the lame excuse that you were born that way to get sympathy.
and, yes we should all be held accountable under the law. No exceptions, no special treatment.
Being gay isn't a problem unless it's turned into a problem by others. In this case, it is by discrimination. No one is arguing for special treatment, only equal treatment. The same laws would still apply to everyone. For example, if gay marriage is legalized, everyone would be able to marry someone of the same sex. You may argue, "but why would want to?", but I would say, "why would I want to marry someone of the opposite sex? I'm gay."

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
You may want to read into the history of religion a bit before claiming the Bible an 'unchanging source'. The words themselves have been changed through translation, the interpretations are subject to the ages and even the method of interpretation (metaphor vs. literalism) has changed within the last 150 years. Not to mention, there are very few things that are permitted and encouraged in the Bible (polygamy, slavery, ownership of women, etc) that are acceptable today.
Not that this has anything to do with the subject but in my experience the things that are being interpreted are mostly the less important things like was Jesus born in December or another month because the animals were out and the animals wouldn't have been out in December BUT things that were direct quotes from Jesus or God don't really leave much room for interpretation.

I mean you can finagle it all you want to but Thou Shalt Not Kill pretty much means don't kill anybody regardless of what translation or version you're reading.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Not that this has anything to do with the subject but in my experience the things that are being interpreted are mostly the less important things like was Jesus born in December or another month because the animals were out and the animals wouldn't have been out in December BUT things that were direct quotes from Jesus or God don't really leave much room for interpretation.

I mean you can finagle it all you want to but Thou Shalt Not Kill pretty much means don't kill anybody regardless of what translation or version you're reading.
Good points. But much of the Bible consists of stories that are meant to be interpreted. And after all the translations it has gone through, even some of the direct quotes are subject to mis-translation. There are so many versions even of the English language Bible that it is best taken metaphorically. It's the nature of the (very figurative) beast. And it still doesn't explain the slavery, incest, rape that is found throughout the Bible and the fact that those things have not remained in our culture and have, fortunately, been very fluid.

Regarding the animals being out in December, this was in the Middle East, so I'm not sure how they would have been affected? Unless there is something I'm missing about raising livestock, which is entirely possible. It's also important to remember there are fewer than 10 mentions of homosexuality in any sense in the Bible at all, and certainly not as we know it today, with real, functioning relationships.

But yes, back to the subject. Super Bowl commercials. Funny stuff. Too bad they won't air.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Both of them were hysterical, but not for a Super Bowl audience, maybe Bravo or LOGO. I thought the second one was a little too graphic for kids. Maybe all the angry religious freaks will boycott Doritos! LOL! Btw, there are plenty of gay men and women that watch football.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Maybe its true that we don't have 100% control of how we act. But, does being gay give somebody more or less control? To say that they (gays) are born that way, they can't help how they act, etc. That is a cop-out! Everyone is responsible for how they act. If you have a personal (i.e. hormonal/chemical imbalance) problem then you should seek help. Just because you are attracted to the same sex does not mean that you have to "act" gay!
Sexuality is one of those things, like skin color, that is not determined by our consciousness. Look, your opinion is rooted in nothing. Basically your argument is like telling a red head that even though they are naturally a red head, they should not be a red head. Sure, they can "pretend" but there are consequences.

You don't know science and you don't know psychology. Don't judge others when you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Just demonstrating the shallowness of your argument. But to answer your second question, sex outside of marriage is condemned by God. Yes. And I don't really care whether or not you buy into it. It's been around for 6000 years. You going to tell me your secular humanism is somehow superior to that? No thanks. I want something that is stable and doesn't change.
There is no logical or scientific defense for your apparent prejudices, so you have to resort to being an officially appointed spokesperson for something called "God."

Calvinist, I reject your views. I don't tell you how to live your life or who to worship - it's a free country after all - but your smug self righteous pontificating inspires in me only the most profound contempt.

Why is religion always used to justify hatred and prejudice and bigotry????

Don't get me wrong - you are entitled to your views, but I'm entitled to mine. The fact is, Christianity has a very appalling historical record when it comes to oppressing and persecuting other people.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not forcing the behavior on you.
It's a roundabout way to force acceptance by society.
Do it enough times and it becomes a non-issue.

Betcha this time next year you won't blink an eyelash at commercials with gay actors.
Saturation breeds acceptance.
Great post Its not like it hasn't happened with other issues in this country, I guess a lot of other issues have just been forgotten.
Force acceptance by society, the gay people are the least of our worries, let them be.
Some may not relate to force acceptance until it happens to affect them.
It doesn't bother me, its STEELER time"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies