Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is China's Hideous Fur Farming Practices a Good Reason to Boycott China?
Yes, I will go out of my way now to avoid Chinese products 9 23.68%
No, I love wearing fur, and I don't care about animal suffering 3 7.89%
Yes, but I was already going out of my way to avoid Chinese products 21 55.26%
No, I don't wear fur, but their fur farms are their business 6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,499,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I see. No outcry about all the multitude of human rights violations but when it comes to an animal, associating with China is finally dispicable.

I cannot imagine why we have ever had anything to do with China to begin with.
Money. Making it or saving it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,990,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I see. No outcry about all the multitude of human rights violations but when it comes to an animal, associating with China is finally dispicable.

I cannot imagine why we have ever had anything to do with China to begin with.
You can thank Nixon for that one. He opened up China. before him they thought that China was the whole world.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
I already go out of my way to avoid products made in China. While I do not endorse animal cruelty I find their human rights violations significantly more abhorrent. I have to wonder why the OP doesn't?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
The skinning alive video PETA has passed around for ages is a fraud. No one interested in saving a pelt would skin something alive, it's hard enough to pull off a perfect pelt when an animal is dead. That said, the conditions they raise animals of every kind in are as bad as they treat many humans, and yes we should boycott China, for multiple reasons...

There's nothing wrong with fur. Better than all these petroleum based synthetics. But try to buy American or Canadian fur instead of Chinese...and preferably wild fur over ranched fur...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's nothing wrong with fur.
Sounds like you work for the fur industry

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Sounds like you work for the fur industry
I take it you have nothing wrong with oil soaked wildlife and destroyed habitats to provide synthetic petroleum based products instead of a renewable resource like fur?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,338,126 times
The Chinese fur farming industry is beyond despicable, but so is any fur farm. The Chinese in true Chinese form, have no regard for their people, let alone the plight of helpless animals. We should be boycotting China for a multitude of reasons, this being just one of them. We aren't much better with regards to animal rights in this country.

People who wear fur products make me sick. If people stopped demanding fur, there would be no market for it. I think if someone wants to buy a fur coat, they should be forced to watch a video on how that coat was made from start to finish. JMO.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,846,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
China supplies more than half of the finished fur garments imported for sale in the United States.

Even if a fur garment's label says it was made in a European country, the animals were likely raised and slaughtered elsewhere—possibly on an unregulated Chinese fur farm.

"Before they are skinned alive, animals are pulled from their cages and thrown to the ground; workers bludgeon them with metal rods or slam them on hard surfaces, causing broken bones and convulsions but not always immediate death. Animals watch helplessly as workers make their way down the row.:

A Shocking Look Inside Chinese Fur Farms | PETA.org
If we boycott China your Walmart shelves would be empty.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,557,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
China supplies more than half of the finished fur garments imported for sale in the United States.

Even if a fur garment's label says it was made in a European country, the animals were likely raised and slaughtered elsewhere—possibly on an unregulated Chinese fur farm.

"Before they are skinned alive, animals are pulled from their cages and thrown to the ground; workers bludgeon them with metal rods or slam them on hard surfaces, causing broken bones and convulsions but not always immediate death. Animals watch helplessly as workers make their way down the row.:

A Shocking Look Inside Chinese Fur Farms | PETA.org
Sorry, there wasn't really an appropriate place for my vote. I already avoid Chinese goods, in general, whenever I can. Have for a long time. Must admit that I don't have time to research everything that I buy to make sure that nothing used in its manufacture comes from China. I have a life.

Won't even bother to look at the video. PETA are a bunch of nucking futs who, IMO, have zero credibility.

I wear shearling boots, so I can't say I don't wear fur, and I also wear other animal hides and eat meat, as well as feeding it to my dog. I'm fully prepared for the day when some idiot from PETA comes at me with anything but sugar-and-spice in their intent.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
If you wear fur, you support this practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies