Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is China's Hideous Fur Farming Practices a Good Reason to Boycott China?
Yes, I will go out of my way now to avoid Chinese products 9 23.68%
No, I love wearing fur, and I don't care about animal suffering 3 7.89%
Yes, but I was already going out of my way to avoid Chinese products 21 55.26%
No, I don't wear fur, but their fur farms are their business 6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM

277 posts, read 166,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I see. No outcry about all the multitude of human rights violations but when it comes to an animal, associating with China is finally dispicable.

I cannot imagine why we have ever had anything to do with China to begin with.
Did you know that it is possible for someone to care about a multitude of things at the same time? We're not tunnel-visioned, at least I'm not. You're not the first person to brush aside the treatment of animals & cry that no one seems to care about humans on this forum. But here's what is interesting: not just on this forum but on others as well, I've seen a multitude of people moan about why we give money to charities for catastrophes that have happened in say Haiti, Pakistan, Thailand after the tsunami & also here as well in terms of helping victims of Hurricane Katrina & also homeless people, "Why help them, they should help themselves". The hypocrisy is ridiculous.
Wearing fur is about as low as you can get. Those animals suffer for a luxury item, it's not needed. Especially in cities like Chicago where I see women wearing fur constantly. How anyone could treatment animals like that is simply beyond me & I certainly would never associate with a person who cannot see the inhumanity in their actions.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I've seen a few of those videos from China. The thing that bothers me most is their attitude while skinning a screaming animal. They look like they get a thrill out of it.

Total sociopaths.

The sad part is that we AMERICANS keep them afloat. Shame on us.
Yes, Americans are among the people who support the fur industry, and hopefully a widespread knowledge of fur industry practices may convince at least a few of them to put their vanity aside in sympathy for the animals.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Yes, Americans are among the people who support the fur industry, and hopefully a widespread knowledge of fur industry practices may convince at least a few of them to put their vanity aside in sympathy for the animals.
and how do you feel about leather???

or any other natural substance that we humans use???

Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
You're being too broad here. China isn't all of the "fur industry." The oil industry kills more animals and destroys more habitat than the fur industry. Fur is better for the environment than the synthetics used to replace it. Most American and Canadian fur is obtained humanely.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and how do you feel about leather???

or any other natural substance that we humans use???
Obviously, these are 2 different categories altogether.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're being too broad here. China isn't all of the "fur industry." The oil industry kills more animals and destroys more habitat than the fur industry. Fur is better for the environment than the synthetics used to replace it. Most American and Canadian fur is obtained humanely.

'Fur is better for the environment than the synthetics used to replace it' - yeah, it is 'better' when it is still on the animal.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
'Fur is better for the environment than the synthetics used to replace it' - yeah, it is 'better' when it is still on the animal.
So, you have no problem with oil soaked wildlife and destroying wildlife habitat, as long as some overpopulated animals aren't used for clothing? Do you support drilling in ANWR and offshore drilling, so we can all use unnatural, non-biodegradable synthetic materials?

Furbearers like minks, foxes, and so forth, have short lives and typically die much more painfully than those taken by trapping or those killed with CO gas in fur farms, such as starving, being eaten alive, or dying of diseases such as rabies (particularly widespread and a problem with raccoons, foxes, skunks...). When overpopulated, animals tend to get mange, starve, etc. The coyotes here, for example, are so overpopulated that one without mange is far less common than those with it.

Let me guess, you also oppose eating meat and keeping pets?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
The article is from PETA, a radical animal "rights" group of domestic terrorists and thus lacks all credibility. Most likely its still true since China has a terrible record of human rights (i.e. REAL rights. Ones that actually exist).
Look, I like cute furry animals as much as the next person but they don't have rights. We (humans) were given dominion over all the creatures of the Earth. They exist here for our use, be that as food, clothing, or whatever. There are a lot more pressing issues to be concerned about in the world than this.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So, you have no problem with oil soaked wildlife and destroying wildlife habitat, as long as some overpopulated animals aren't used for clothing? Do you support drilling in ANWR and offshore drilling, so we can all use unnatural, non-biodegradable synthetic materials?

Furbearers like minks, foxes, and so forth, have short lives and typically die much more painfully than those taken by trapping or those killed with CO gas in fur farms, such as starving, being eaten alive, or dying of diseases such as rabies (particularly widespread and a problem with raccoons, foxes, skunks...). When overpopulated, animals tend to get mange, starve, etc. The coyotes here, for example, are so overpopulated that one without mange is far less common than those with it.

Let me guess, you also oppose eating meat and keeping pets?
I have no love for the big oil interests, and what they have done to the Gulf region is typical of the rape of the earth by corporate interests, as well as the mass murder by slow poisening of the Gulf region residents.
But that is a different issue.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The article is from PETA, a radical animal "rights" group of domestic terrorists and thus lacks all credibility. Most likely its still true since China has a terrible record of human rights (i.e. REAL rights. Ones that actually exist).
Look, I like cute furry animals as much as the next person but they don't have rights. We (humans) were given dominion over all the creatures of the Earth. They exist here for our use, be that as food, clothing, or whatever. There are a lot more pressing issues to be concerned about in the world than this.
True, we were given 'dominion' but that does not extend to the right to exercise torture, unless such powers are granted by other prinicipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies