Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Sometimes it is like going to a fight and having a hockey game break out, shocking I know. (chuckling)

I get this feeling that on one hand, people genuinely want to see an actual democracy emerge, but on the other hand, there is apprehension that if a democracy were to emerge, it might not be entirely cooperative to our interests. People just aren't sure what to make of the situation just yet as the lines drawn and the players aren't even that well understood here, so people are being forced to really think about the subject. Which I think is a great thing.
I wish the Egyptian people all the think they can muster. I hope they are smart enough to fight off the exploitive American Government interest in Egypt. Who can we help overthrow next?
example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKTCchgWlKQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I wish the Egyptian people all the think they can muster. I hope they are smart enough to fight off the exploitive American Government interest in Egypt. Who can we help overthrow next?
example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKTCchgWlKQ
To think that everyone on that staged mocked and ridiculed him for such statements is truly sad. A person many not agree with Ron Paul's positions across the board, I would hope no one would so sycophant, but how prophetic his positions are concerning foreign policy. Great clip.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
To think that everyone on that staged mocked and ridiculed him for such statements is truly sad. A person many not agree with Ron Paul's positions across the board, I would hope no one would so sycophant, but how prophetic his positions are concerning foreign policy. Great clip.
Yea Mittens and Giuliani were the worst about it, and as it turned out, the least informed on this issue. Go figure. During he debates the audience cheered his statemnts probably more than the rest combined.

He wrote a great book I'm reading, A Foreign Policy of Freedom 'Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship'.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Things have taken an interesting turn:

"The political forces aligned against President Hosni Mubarak seemed to strengthen on Monday, when the Army said for the first time that it would not fire on the protesters who have convulsed Egypt for the last week. The announcement was followed shortly by the government’s first offer to talk to the protest leaders.
The Army’s announcement — delivered on state TV with no elaboration by its official spokesman — declared that “freedom of expression through peaceful means is guaranteed to everybody,” and promised to recognize the “legitimate demands” of the protesters. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/wo...t.html?_r=1&hp

Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Innovation at it's finest...I applaud the guys at google, twitter, et al for doing this.
The Internet cannot be killed by government.
They have no internet at all..now rumors of mobile phone crackdown to squash further communication among the people.

Live blog Feb 1 - Egypt protests | Al Jazeera Blogs
"Over the weekend we came up with the idea of a speak-to-tweet service—the ability for anyone to tweet using just a voice connection.

We worked with a small team of engineers from Twitter, Google and SayNow, a company we acquired last week, to make this idea a reality. It’s already live and anyone can tweet by simply leaving a voicemail on one of these international phone numbers (+16504194196 or +390662207294 or +97316199855) and the service will instantly tweet the message using the hashtag #egypt. No Internet connection is required"

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I did a search before posting this thinking there would be a hoard of Egypt threads. I have been listening to the radio for a couple of days and that seems to be all the news is talking about.

Anyway.

I am really shocked at the US involvement in this situation. Obviously we have a great deal at stake (oil), so we do NOT want chaos to ensue which might disrupt oil production or transport.

However, I can see how this situation is going to be a real boon for terrorist recruitment. I mean, the whole problem stems (as nearly as I can tell) with Egypt's growing acceptance of Western lifestyles. Traditional Muslim philosophy is going to be going "tsk tsk" and shaking its finger at Egypt saying...I told you so. I see a HUGE increase in car bombings soon. As extremists fight the influx of western life that appears to making inroads.

Your thoughts, oh fellow CDers????

20yrsinBranson
This has nothing to do with "freedom for Egypt".....This is radical muslims causing problems.
If you think it looks bad now........WAIT and see in a few months when the radicals are in charge.....Hmm Iran all over again.

If I am christian and in Egypt.......RUN NOW!

Oh and the best part of all this is the left winged media....Calling these people "freedom fighter/People looking for a better life......bla bla bla".............but when it comes to "our" peaceful TEA party demonstrations.....The left calls us radicals/nuts and every other discusting name.....

The left is sickening by the way.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
This has nothing to do with "freedom for Egypt".....This is radical muslims causing problems.
If you think it looks bad now........WAIT and see in a few months when the radicals are in charge.....Hmm Iran all over again.

If I am christian and in Egypt.......RUN NOW!
So I gather you are in favor of the US financially supporting dictators ?
You could care less about the people of a nation as long as the US gets what it wants ?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So I gather you are in favor of the US financially supporting dictators ?
You could care less about the people of a nation as long as the US gets what it wants ?
WOW you got all that from what I wrote?
Thats pretty amazing.

Your dumb reply doesnt warrant an answer....Next time write about something I said.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
WOW you got all that from what I wrote?
Thats pretty amazing.

Your dumb reply doesnt warrant an answer....Next time write about something I said.
Actually he did write in response to what you posted.

You went off on some rant about how the protesters in Egypt are all a bunch of radical Muslims and don't want freedom. Which is a pretty goofy thing to say, because even if they were radicals, aren't they wanting the freedom to do their evil booga booga Muslim stuff that they are not free to do now? So they obviously want some kind of freedom, by your own admission.

Now if you don't support these "radical Muslims", then who do you support, the US tax payer funded dictator, Mubarak who has a 30 year history of oppressing his people? Do you support someone other than this?

Just calling someones post dumb while whining about liberal this liberal that isn't really a reply, especially when someone simply asked you a question. Besides, HappyTexan is hardly a liberal and as someone who was read their posts for several years now, they seem pretty moderate to me.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Actually he did write in response to what you posted.
Quote:

You went off on some rant about how the protesters in Egypt are all a bunch of radical Muslims and don't want freedom. Which is a pretty goofy thing to say, because even if they were radicals, aren't they wanting the freedom to do their evil booga booga Muslim stuff that they are not free to do now? So they obviously want some kind of freedom, by your own admission.

Now if you don't support these "radical Muslims", then who do you support, the US tax payer funded dictator, Mubarak who has a 30 year history of oppressing his people? Do you support someone other than this?

So you support radical Muslims? OK
"Devil you know is better then the one you dont"

Just calling someones post dumb while whining about liberal this liberal that isn't really a reply, especially when someone simply asked you a question. Besides, HappyTexan is hardly a liberal and as someone who was read their posts for several years now, they seem pretty moderate to me..
It was dumb because he was "assuming" something that wasnt said...
next......
and me "whining"....hmm ok, if you say so but what I said about left wing media is true....It is what it is....Left-wing nut media has for yrs always thought that way.
People who burn down cities "here" and "Over-seas" are oppressed/looking for better life but when Cons. actually peacefully march and protest they are called nuts/loons and other disgusting names.
So please stop the Horse sh*t.

As for HappyTexan being moderate....hmmm and whats that to do with the price of apples?

I can disagree with liberals/moderates and Cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies