Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
BOY!!! Do I know this feeling!! I knew Ronald Reagan was a skunk when he fired the flight controllers that were on a legal strike! It only got worse from there.
He had some balls!

Now that airport is named after him!

What an icon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Default Keep Sending Up The Ole Cabbage Left ... Har .... Harr !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
What, you nitwits aren't blaming Bush anymore? To cover up the atrocities this administration is committing to the economy you're now blaming Reagan? You folks just throw any hint of rationality out the window when it comes to covering for Obama.
Dockside !!! ... Good onya !!!

Blimey ! ... These bloody muppets are indeed not the full quid !

There is no comparrison between President Reagan & the current WH inhabitant ... President Reagan would be head and shoulders above HO in all areas !!!

The toss-pots on the left absolutely take the bisquit ... What ?

Cheerio ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I think Reagan had an aura of authority and genuine charm. I think he believed what he was selling too. Which was the problem. He started the ridiculous, brain-dead assault on the basic structure of our government and the environmental and other protection built up over the previous 20 years. Charm is no substitute for intelligence, and the president should have a heaping helping. He lowered the bar, paving the way for Bush II, and possibly Palin. I did not find Bush I nearly so charming or statesmanlike, but I did think he was a sensible fellow.

So, I do agree with the general thesis of the article that Reagan started us down the path of unreflective conservatism, where government was bad, deregulation and trashing the environment were good, and feeling good was better than actually being good.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Reagan brought the world to the brink of nuclear war in his ceaseless expansion of US Empire. It was sheer luck for all of us that the leader in the Kremlin back then was not a hard-liner but a great champion of justice and world peace.

It is ridiculous how some people think Reagan ended the cold war, when in fact he had absolutely nothing to do with it. If anyone deserves credit for putting an end to the war its Gorbachev, but certainly not good-ol' warmonger Reagan.
Whenever I see a political post that makes my eyes pop out in disbelief, I think "I'll bet its that guy in Denmark". Half the time, I am right.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Yeah. Conservatism is responsible for all the problems we have today. I mean they started Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid which have all left this country with over $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities.

Talk about unreflective and those same morons just started another entitlement. But they didn't do that for the people, they did it for the votes.

You folks are silly.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yeah. Conservatism is responsible for all the problems we have today. I mean they started Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid which have all left this country with over $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities.

Talk about unreflective and those same morons just started another entitlement. But they didn't do that for the people, they did it for the votes.

You folks are silly.
Good points about the lack of foresight in the Great Society programs. They are not affordable, at least under current tax levels. Perhaps there was wooly thinking there. Or perhapds simply the inability to foresee the demographic implications of the baby boom and bust. This said, I am inclined to agree, because we are seeing insane pension setups in many states, suggesting caving to unions was more convenient than thinking of the future.

This point does not negate Reagan's negative contributions to blind self confidence and devil may care defense spending and environmental negligence. And I did not say all conservatives were unreflective. I would not say that about Nixon, nor Eisenhower, Bush I, Ford, Roosevelt, to name but a few. Lincoln was probably the most reflective President ever. Whether he was consertive is debatable though.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:

You folks are silly.
You want to trash me, fine. No need to bring anyone else into this.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Yes we know, it's been a little over a week since the last Reagan thread where all the same folks that will post in here repeat the same nonsense till someone steps in with facts. At that point they'll disappear and pop back up in the next Reagan-basher.

Well said........

Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You want to trash me, fine. No need to bring anyone else into this.
No. I'm talking about all of the others too. They appear at every Reagan thread ready to bash and run. They make statements based on opinions and when the facts come out they're already on the next Reagan thread rinsing and repeating.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Supply side economics. Voodoo economics. That was the big thing, how bad the damage that is what you are arguing about. But supply side economics was his and his alone.Reagan through out fiscal responsibility. The debt bubble for the last 30 years required bipartisan support to get it done. Who has benefited from the debt bubble? The top 0.1%? I think that those are the ones behind the debt bubble. But Reagan kicked it off.
supply side economics, is his and his alone.and it works. the debt bobble is cause solely by congress not a president unless the president happens to agree with them, such in the case of Obama! in the last two years agreed with congress and barrowd over TRILLION DOLLARS.No president and congress ever borrowd so much money ever!!talk about debt bubble! lets put the blame where it belongs and stop blaming past administions.nobody made a democratic control congress and a democrat, president Obama borrowd so much money, all republican voted agianst borrowing so much money. but they did it anyway.I dont believe Reagan kick off a debt bubble but if he did,he did so on a mule. Obama strap on a couple of rocket to that mule and send it out of this world!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies