Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

Do you not realize that higher gas prices is NOT causing people to conserve - its causing them to cut back on other things? Because people are spending so much for gas, they aren't shopping in the malls, eating in the restaurants, etc. Like it or not, we have a consumer economy and most people live in suburbs. One can argue about the sustainability of such an economy, but its not going to change overnight. If gas prices hold at these levels, we are less than a year away from severe economic crisis. Watch the retail sector fall like dominoes and then we will be talking 30%+ unemployment. Does that sound good to you liberal elitists? How about starving people? When the retail sector goes, the entire financial system will soon follow. You think the housing problem is bad today? Our manufacturing is gone. Without the retail and financial sector, our economy fails.

Quit living in an idealistic world where you can just pour water on America and make it Europe! It doesn't work that way. The only way we will progress from our current oil economy to a more sustainable one is gradually as new technology becomes more feasible. Trying to force Americans to change by causing an economic collapse of the current system will spell the end of America, NOT the beginning of a brighter future of renewable energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Trying to force Americans to change by causing an economic collapse of the current system will spell the end of America, NOT the beginning of a brighter future of renewable energy.
That's the agenda. To knock the only world superpower down a notch. It has been for quite some time now.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Do you not realize that higher gas prices is NOT causing people to conserve - its causing them to cut back on other things? Because people are spending so much for gas, they aren't shopping in the malls, eating in the restaurants, etc. Like it or not, we have a consumer economy and most people live in suburbs. One can argue about the sustainability of such an economy, but its not going to change overnight. If gas prices hold at these levels, we are less than a year away from severe economic crisis. Watch the retail sector fall like dominoes and then we will be talking 30%+ unemployment. Does that sound good to you liberal elitists? How about starving people? When the retail sector goes, the entire financial system will soon follow. You think the housing problem is bad today? Our manufacturing is gone. Without the retail and financial sector, our economy fails.

Quit living in an idealistic world where you can just pour water on America and make it Europe! It doesn't work that way. The only way we will progress from our current oil economy to a more sustainable one is gradually as new technology becomes more feasible. Trying to force Americans to change by causing an economic collapse of the current system will spell the end of America, NOT the beginning of a brighter future of renewable energy.
Where are you getting your information?

Everything I have read indicates people ARE driving less, even buying less gas at a time. I'm one of them.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
People are conserving but there is only so much they can conserve. People still need to go to work, get food, etc..

After a family reaches the maximum of what they can feasably conserve, then they will start cutting into other things.

It is a trickle down effect as people stop purchasing consumer items, those facories start slowing down, lay offs occur and yet more is added to the wheel.

This in turns affects everything like financial markets, etc..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Where are you getting your information?

Everything I have read indicates people ARE driving less, even buying less gas at a time. I'm one of them.
Sure, demand is down, but people are cutting other luxuries a lot heavier than they are cutting their fuel consumption. For instance, people are still not willing to give up their McMansion 50 miles from their jobs. Even if they wanted to, they probably couldn't sell them in this housing market. Many have cut until they are unable to cut anymore, and some are even having to give up health insurance in order to afford gas, and thats just at $4/gallon. If we start talking $8/gallon gas like some liberal elitists say they want, this country wouldn't be able to function, PERIOD. And don't bring a Europe comparison into this because comparing the US and Europe is like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:

You're very misguided if you're blaming "liberal elitists" for wanting to "destroy the country" based on the fact that retail spending is down. You go on to accuse this mythical group of trying to force something on everyone else. Since when does this evil group make the decisions? What website describes their celebration of the destruction of America's economy? You are calling the wrong people your enemies and that is more dangerous to the country, in my opinion.

But I understand your concern. In viewing the road ahead, the bumps look pretty big. Our economy has been a house of cards for quite some time and the efforts of our government have only managed to stave off the inevitable. Blame all you want, our whole economic system is based on the wrong values. It is doomed to fail. What good is a country for which 2/3rds of its economy is based on consumer spending? Where's the intrinsic value in that?

Believe it or not, I am contributing to the decline of this unfair and imbalanced system. I have almost everything I need and I don't need to keep buying new this and new that. I don't need a big screen TV or a new car or new clothes. Why put pressure on me and everyone else to spend when we currently have a NEGATIVE savings rate? Let everyone stop spending, let the the chips fall where they MUST and get this crap over with.

From the ashes and ruins may we unite to create a better system, one that hasn't been done before, one that places real value where it belongs, attaches meaning to our labors, and guarantees the basics for everyone. Or is that too elitist for you?

Old 07-19-2008, 04:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
mhouse, nice and clear analysis.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:

None of this is even nearly correct. People have cut their driving:
Feds: Americans Driving Less : NPR
People are using public transit more:
Green Car Congress: US Mass Transit Ridership Increasing
People are shunning SUVs and buying cars:
SUV Sales Down Sharply

All this is good for America. Not bad. And even at $4 we have it pretty good. It is much higher in Europe and even Canada. They would love to have $4! And their economies are not collapsing and they don't have 30% unemployment. And they have cleaner air too!
What is a "liberal elitist" anyway? I am a LIBERAL for the most part and I am not "elite". Pretty far from it.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
None of this is even nearly correct. People have cut their driving:
Feds: Americans Driving Less : NPR
People are using public transit more:
Green Car Congress: US Mass Transit Ridership Increasing
People are shunning SUVs and buying cars:
SUV Sales Down Sharply

All this is good for America. Not bad. And even at $4 we have it pretty good. It is much higher in Europe and even Canada. They would love to have $4! And their economies are not collapsing and they don't have 30% unemployment. And they have cleaner air too!
What is a "liberal elitist" anyway? I am a LIBERAL for the most part and I am not "elite". Pretty far from it.
Where are you getting 30% unemployment rates from?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Where are you getting 30% unemployment rates from?
The original post states that 30% unemployment will happen from high gas prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies