Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I have no interest in hijacking the thread to debate health care politics. Personally, I responded to a poster and leave it at that. Health care comparisons are certainly a hot point in the whole societal comparisons and debate but of course not the only thing.

Mention of university system is useful. Except for the fact, in my opinion, that we have an unprecedented number of young employable citizens now entering the job market with thousands of dollars of debt, regardless of whether they went to Harvard or Colorado State. I hope nobody tries to personally debate me on this issue because it is not my personal opinion or gripe but really just a basic truth. When you have scores of new graduates all across the country armed with a new degree and lots of debt and then facing extreme competition, sometimes for jobs that will not even really permit them to pay off their debt and also take care of basic monthly needs- its a problem.

Europe certainly does have a great transport system, for the most part, I agree. Some regions have a dominant car culture, just like parts of the US, but clearly many regions have been working for decades with creating very user friendly and well integrated subways, streetcar systems and bus systems.
Wow, I hear you on the student loan debt. We are mid 40s, and I just paid my wife's off this year. I still owe about $7k in mine. I did not really borrow that much, but I will agree, it did pose a substantial burden in early to midcareer at our modest salaries, and with mortgage, child care, etc. My solution. Never buy a new car. I have been driving for 30 years, and I never have. You are right that graduating deep in debt in a tough economy is a new and increasingly important issue. Nor sure how other countries compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Wow, I hear you on the student loan debt. We are mid 40s, and I just paid my wife's off this year. I still owe about $7k in mine. I did not really borrow that much, but I will agree, it did pose a substantial burden in early to midcareer at our modest salaries, and with mortgage, child care, etc. My solution. Never buy a new car. I have been driving for 30 years, and I never have. You are right that graduating deep in debt in a tough economy is a new and increasingly important issue. Nor sure how other countries compare.
Well, I am big on public transportation and spent my entire 20's using it in various US cities, so I have not experienced the car question until recently, when it became absolutely essential. But good tips.

I don't know how other countries compare either. I realize it is not really fair to compare the US university system, which attracts students from all over the globe, for good reason, to other systems such as the largely tuition free University programs in Scandinavia or, to some degree, Germany. These systems are slowly being reformed themselves, and with the differences in population and tax systems, its simply not fair to compare them I suppose. There are excellent university systems in America, but it is also important to remember the whole higher education system is an economic engine that profits on all the student debt. I just feel there must come a reform eventually, though I have no idea what.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Good points...I can counter a few....

Canada is telling us not to do it...
Avoid health reform, Canadian MD warns Americans | Posted | National Post

Is Canada telling us not to go for health care reform, or is that just one Canadian doctor's opinion?

From the article you linked to...

Quote:
The medical profession as a whole in Canada has been calling for changes to make the system here more effective and affordable, but a recent Canadian Medical Association report made it clear the group is still committed to the basics, at least, of public health care.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, since all the conservatives were ask the question, how about all you liberals out there....

As you can see I used the same example as before....just changed a few words around....

Have at it....or give your best example....I'm sure their will be smart ass answers of course....but that seems to be par for the course....
Liberalism in action:

Soviet Union

China under Chairman Mao

Cuba

North Korea

NAZI Germany

A good example of liberalism is the country Oceana as described in the book 1984 by George Orwell

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
All one really needs to do is read the "Legal Immigration" forum to get an idea of this. Remember when everyone wanted to come to the US? Not so much anymore.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Liberalism in action:

Soviet Union

China under Chairman Mao

Cuba

North Korea

NAZI Germany

A good example of liberalism is the country Oceana as described in the book 1984 by George Orwell
Double yawn.

I hope for your sake that you are being sarcastic. If you truly believe this is liberalism in action then certainly, the education system is failing some of its citizens in disastrous ways.

Many citizens of these countries would likely read just pure stupidity, and offense, into your haphazard laughing at them as "liberalism" examples.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm surprised it went almost three pages before some ignorant right wing post.
While ignorant right wing posts are perhaps best left ignored and unreplied to, I also feel there are moments where they need to be dealt with head on. Its a new form of "special needs education"- dealing with ignorant right wing posters who truly need a mental helmet, imo. They just keep bashing and bashing but their faculties don't ever seem to get so disturbed that they just stop.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Liberalism in action:

Soviet Union

China under Chairman Mao

Cuba

North Korea

NAZI Germany

Hehehe... Double points for creativity and scholarship on that one....

But hey, did you forget Pol pot and the Kmer Rouge? Don't want them to be left out......

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 01-30-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,558 times
Quote:
Liberalism in action:

Soviet Union

China under Chairman Mao

Cuba

North Korea

NAZI Germany

Define liberalism and then point out the similarities between it and your examples above.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm surprised it went almost three pages before some ignorant right wing post.
And then Americans wonder why they've become the laughingstock by the rest of the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies