Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It contains assertions of fact, without data to back up those facts.

And that's fine for an op-ed piece, which is what this insubtantial puff of hot air really is.

I've got degrees all over my wall, been to college and grad school twice each. The idea that professors are liberal indoctrinators is what right wing loonies always say when their views are shown to not mesh with reality.

It's nonsense. The VERY few biased professors I have encountered have been conservative as often as liberal.

In fact, the conservative ones were a bit more shrill.
You talk about no data to back up what is said and then I bet you would say the same thing while reading an Ann Coulter anti-left book although it be full of footnotes and other sources. Remember that that kind of writing is the best kind and surely was when I was writing historical papers in college and later while I was renewing teaching certificates. I loved writing those things and putting in all the necessary documentation.

Have you ever read Glen Beck's Common Sense? That is a pretty well documented book but nothing that left leaners would want to read.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What accusations did I throw and what deflections???? I will visit ANY thread I wish, even if it does bother you, not your discussion board. Who hit back I felt nothing so far? You post an Opinion Piece by a right-wing writer from a right-wing site and expect everyone to take it as gospel or prove their accusations to be false when they themselves do not provide the evidence to back up their own claim to begin with, now that is Ludicrous thinking at its finest.
Casper
More left leaning deflection type failing to call the lies the writer told. You haven't said word one about what he wrote but have called him names of sorts and howled about the opinion piece with nothing against it other than attacking the messenger a very left handed form of dealing with something you couldn't handle without some deflection of some kind.

Was the man wrong in any of what he said or not?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I'm not afraid of "communists"..........is someone "channeling" McCarthy? lol
I have wondered all day just how old you must be. You must be pretty young and fairly far left since you don't understand that the far left is made up of mostly old communists and modern progressives. I see them as the same people but I studied communism in the late 1940s and through the 50s. Hell I even broke the laws of nations in the late 50s intercepting radio messages of military people from Communist nations, like Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Russia, Hungary, and the rest of the Iron Countries. Proud of my service, I surely am. How about you?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
My nephew is a senior now. Still a conservative. I don't think you understand that there are people with different political views on college campuses, it's not strictly cookie cutter liberal.
People can be impressionable no matter what age group they are in. For instance, there are plenty of older people as we see that have been impressed by political agenda set forth by Beck & others like him. They believe what he says because they WANT to believe it, regardless if it's true, stretching the truth or completely false.
You just reminded me that I was very impressed with the knowledge of Middle Eastern history and present that his own reading and his staff had prepared for today on Glen Beck's show. I a one of those people you are bad mouthing for being a follow of Beck's. I wish you would avail yourself of what he said and then come back and tell me just how far wrong he was about so much of what he said. I will gladly tell you where you can see his whole show any day you want to, but will have to do so through DM since I have been ordered not to tell that out here in the open.

Really I would like to see someone prove all his lies that they continually talk about. I see him attacked daily and never see anything about what he said other than it was all lies. I don't know about you, but I know many here who get all their info about the man from Media Matters. Daily Kos, Think Progress or HuffPo. Three of these are either financed largely by Spooky Dude Soros or were formed by him with the express purpose of destroying Beck and Fox.

How about you view his show today and then tell me all the falsehoods and just plain lies he told?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
And why do you think Dems want to fund college for everyone?
Why do you think Obama just nationalized the student loan industry?
Well, you and I know the answer to your second question but many of the people here don't really believe we are right.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When AC went to St. Olaf, her performance degenerated into a shouting match. Note I said "match". She did her part. And I"m sure she laughed all the way to the bank. She's much older and wiser than these college students. She gets them riled up; it makes them look bad.

I read the article.

I have called out plenty of people for posting Op-Ed as fact. You are free to check my posting history.

Op-Eds often, but not always, contain facts. Op-Eds always express an opinion.
Was Coulter hired to speak in a PC manner or because those who hired her knew that she would speak from the right? The way they allow heckling in colleges these days really gets me. In my day, early 50s, we weren't allowed to behave like that. We had to take it or else not attend the next attempt.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
We have info at our disposal 24 hours a day. How can anyone keep info from another?
Someone has kept much of the real history of Communism in Europe from the early days from you. There it sits but unless you can get it from a progressive source you don't let it bother you.

I don't know how anyone keeps so much of the early progressive history from so many today for the very reasons you list but they sure do manage to do it.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
People like Glenn Beck or Ann Coulter simply don't possess that certain level of intellect that is expected of public speakers by universities. After all a university is not Fox news
Why don't you watch Beck on the internet this week and then tell me how far out his talk really was? Today he was right in the middle of things about the Middle East today and historically and seldom did anything close to anti-progressive words escape him. He will be talking about the same topic all week and if you need help I will be glad to give it to you on a DM.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 AM

764 posts, read 597,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left are the most closed-minded people on this planet. It is sickening how so many young people like to be lied to, misled and filled with nothing but progressive propaganda. You would think they would wake up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
In the arena of ideas, the Liberals KNOW they cannot win because their ideas fly in the face of common sense.

Therefore they must stifle free speech and only allow one side of a given argument be heard.
The rights reason for actual laws or policies usually amount to "ITS TRADITION ITS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT" and "GOD SAID SO!". You think that's common sense?

Oh, and Communism has never existed. The Soviet Union was a dictatorship under the guise of a Communist State. Communism is stateless, classless society. It's a nice idea, in a way, but it never has actually existed, and it really just can't work...

Last edited by Lithium; 02-01-2011 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This seems like the way that all liberal professors at Left State U think. (What else do they have there?)

When the writer of this gem asked a liberal colleague if some conservative speakers shouldn't be hired the reply was "What do you want, Glenn Beck? That sounds to me like this man feared anything that far right but he would be very happy to have Jeremiah Wright speak to students.

Also, the author points out that those liberal profs seem to have the attitude that they have finally won the battle and since the students were listening to their conservative parents for 18 years it was now time for liberals to influence them for 4 years. I guess they don't count those first 10 or so years as kind of politically nothing for those kids.

Left State University - Mike Adams - Townhall Conservative
If the professors in college start to teach leftist politics or any politics in classes, seems to me students should record it, put it on You Tube and lawsuits should be made against Colleges regarding these people till they shut up and just teach the courses and not their ideologies IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies