Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

They spent 3 days stomping and cheering for conservative ideas. They yelled and cried when Beck came on stage as if he were Jesus coming back. They screamed for Gingrich. Then they took a poll and voted for 2 of the most liberal candidates they could choose.
WIN: They voted for RON PAUL- yes the guy that opposed Bush's war in Iraq that conservatives want to keep going forever. The guy that opposes going after illegals that the conservatives say they hate so much and the guy that actually thinks it is OK to legalize marijuana. He is also soft on crime, against the death penalty for any crime and his stand on abortion is mixed at best!
PLACE: 2nd place to Mitten Romney- you know the former Mass Gov that waffles all over the road on abortion (he voted for it before he voted against it), instituted "Obamacare" in his own state and was not considered anywhere near "conservative" when was running that state.
SHOW: Sarah Palin.
Do you see the problem here?
AFP: US conservatives prefer Paul to Palin: poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They spent 3 days stomping and cheering for conservative ideas. They yelled and cried when Beck came on stage as if he were Jesus coming back. They screamed for Gingrich. Then they took a poll and voted for 2 of the most liberal candidates they could choose.
WIN: They voted for RON PAUL- yes the guy that opposed Bush's war in Iraq that conservatives want to keep going forever. The guy that opposes going after illegals that the conservatives say they hate so much and the guy that actually thinks it is OK to legalize marijuana. He is also soft on crime, against the death penalty for any crime and his stand on abortion is mixed at best!
PLACE: 2nd place to Mitten Romney- you know the former Mass Gov that waffles all over the road on abortion (he voted for it before he voted against it), instituted "Obamacare" in his own state and was not considered anywhere near "conservative" when was running that state.

I wasn't aware Paul was a liberal.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
he's not.. He's a GOP member who campains and believes in libertarian and Constitutionalist beliefs... Not even close to liberal...

OP just wishful thinking again...

Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Ron Paul isn't mixed on abortion..he's pro-life.
He also opposes illegal immigration and voted for the fence. He wants to get rid of the "anchor-baby" loophole and believes illegals are draining our entitlement system and wants to close up those legal loopholes that allow it.

Here KevK are his stand on various issues.

BTW..he voted AGAINST the Patriot Act. He's not afraid to break from the party.
He is a true representative of "the people".

Political positions of Ron Paul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
The problem with your thesis is that Ron Paul is libertarian. He is about as far from liberal as can be found.

Palin isn't conservative either. Everytime she talks, or places a vote, it's for MORE government. Not less.

And conservatives were against the Iraq war. People like Pat Buchanon were opposed to it before it ever started. It's not even debatable that conservatives were against Iraq. Just look at what conservative wrote before the war and you can see that. It was the liberal wing of the republican party that was for it.

Look at history anyway. Liberals have been the ones with the aggressive foreign policy. WW1- Wilson, WW2- Roosevelt, Korea- Truman, Vietnam- Kennedy/Johnson, Bosnia/Kosovo- Clinton. Even republican wars in Iraq and Panama were done by the Bushes. The most liberal of republican presidents.

Sorry, your entire premise is inaccurate and based on stereotypes. Congrats though. You managed to stereotype Democrats and Republicans. Not may people can do that.

Once again Ron Paul is Libertarian. And since when did libs want to legalize marijuana? I never heard the Clintons or Obama or Biden say that.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
I would say of the people in Congress right now that I can think of Ron Paul would be the most conservative. Duncan from Knoxville would be a close second.

I'm using conservative as a person who wants to stick to the constitution.

So, if Paul wants to legalize marijuana it's not because he wants a bunch of hippies in San Fran to get high. It's because the Feds have no right to regulate drugs and/or alcohol. If we followed the constitution it would be left to the States and cities.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
He is very liberal. He makes anti war protesters look moderate. Conservatives are supposed to be pro war. I guess that is why so many booed when the vote results were announced.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
He is very liberal. He makes anti war protesters look moderate. Conservatives are supposed to be pro war. I guess that is why so many booed when the vote results were announced.
Well Ron Paul is not Conservative..maybe that's what's got you confused.
He's a Libertarian in the Republican party.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Quote:

Wait so because he is anti-war that automatically makes him a liberal? I am a conservative that is against war does that make me a liberal?

That is ridiculous.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Paul opposes the war for very different reasons than liberals. But according to your standards, if you oppose the war, you are a liberal, if you support the war, you are a conservative? How do you determine this standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies