Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Similarly, Barry Jabbar Sykes, 37, who has a degree in mathematics from Morehouse College, a historically black college in Atlanta, now uses Barry J. Sykes in his continuing search for an information technology position, even though he has gone by Jabbar his whole life.

“Barry sounds like I could be from Ireland,” he said.

That race remains a serious obstacle in the job market for African-Americans, even those with degrees from respected colleges, may seem to some people a jarring contrast to decades of progress by blacks, culminating in President Obama’s election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html
Is there anything these men are doing wrong? I find this interesting because since Obama got elected many have acted as if having a Black man getting elected president would translate into more job opportunities for Black men in other professions. Maybe it's not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is there anything these men are doing wrong? I find this interesting because since Obama got elected many have acted as if having a Black man getting elected president would translate into more job opportunities for Black men in other professions. Maybe it's not that simple.
Bologna.
It's dog eat dog out there for everyone, black men are not a special class.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Bologna.
Why do these Black men feel the need to alter their names and make an effort to come off as non threatening? Is the need for these adjustments just in their heads?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM

866 posts, read 1,561,148 times
To me, it seems like he's having trouble just like many other recent graduates finding a job. He seems to have decided that his name is the problem without any real evidence supporting that view.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Tim Wise covered this problem in his books.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM

335 posts, read 375,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
To me, it seems like he's having trouble just like many other recent graduates finding a job. He seems to have decided that his name is the problem without any real evidence supporting that view.

I know a man in his early fifties, great shape, but his hair is completely white/grey.

He has historically had much better success obtaining employment when he dyes his hair.

Things are tough all over.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Bologna.
Exactly. Why attempt to start a controversy? Why pull out the old race card?
It's a tough economy for everyone not just blacks.
Are you saying they should get hired because they are black?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:

This real enough for you?

http://www.princeton.edu/~pager/annals_sequencingdisadvantage.pdf

White male convicts are almost exactly as likely to find a job as black men with no record and the same qualifications otherwise. Why do you suppose that is?

And my own Dad had to go a step further and switch his middle name for his first name. Consequentially, he had more success getting hired

Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Well there have been some studies on this.

Quote:
Studies of resumes have found that people with black-sounding names are less likely to get callbacks.

Top 20 'Whitest' and 'Blackest' Names - ABC News

Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
I can't believe the OP actually asked the question what has changed for black college graduates.
Maybe if they would have asked what has changed for college graduates. But even still have they not seen what is happening to our economy and the jobless rates?

It's tough all over. Or as my favorite bald-headed devil from New Orleans once stated: It's the economy stupid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies