Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM

104 posts, read 138,600 times

Advertisements

Now granted I don't know the detail of American politics but in reading some of your posts on other threads, they seem to reek hatred! You seem to hate , almost personally, who ever the 'other side' is. When we have an election I vote for one side or the other. I listen to their points of view and try to be reasonably thoughtful in who I vote for. I think most of the 85% who turn out to vote would do the same and there would be a small percentage who vote 'because their dad voted this way' . Even if the party I vote for doesn't win, and I may not like the way they want to go, I always assume it's a difference of opinion and it's their honest attempt to do the right thing not an attempt to 'screw' the population .
US elections seem money centred and very vitriolic. Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,981,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
Now granted I don't know the detail of American politics but in reading some of your posts on other threads, they seem to reek hatred! You seem to hate , almost personally, who ever the 'other side' is. When we have an election I vote for one side or the other. I listen to their points of view and try to be reasonably thoughtful in who I vote for. I think most of the 85% who turn out to vote would do the same and there would be a small percentage who vote 'because their dad voted this way' . Even if the party I vote for doesn't win, and I may not like the way they want to go, I always assume it's a difference of opinion and it's their honest attempt to do the right thing not an attempt to 'screw' the population .

Too bad we all can't be like everyone who tries to give us advice. It's always "we do it this way" meaning that we should follow suit. Everyone else always has the better way to do things.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM

45,837 posts, read 27,483,470 times
Quote:
Pretty much.

I do think people in power like us divided in that if the people collectively agree, then we have the power and they don't.

If the people are divided and fighting amongst each other, then we cancel each other out and the politicians have the power.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,803,677 times
Hi Ciderman,

Our politics are a huge disappointment to me. Since it is a two party system, it is always a zero sum game. If you win, I lose, and truly good ideas are hard to come by, so most of the effort goes to trashing the other side disingenuously and blaming them for EVERYTHING. It leads to very woolly thinking, self-delusion, and general nastiness, in my opinion. With our talk radio demagogues spewing out vitriol every day all day, people get addicted to the cheap high of righteous rage. It is far easier than doing the hard work of studying issues and reaching imperfect compromises.

It seems like the lowest type people rise to power in many situations, whereas real public servants just don't want to subject their families to the nastiness of it all. Worse yet, we seem to be trapped in a perpetual battle for power, rather than collaborating as a united republic. Not to overplay the last note though. Despite all the meanness, we seem to have fairly low levels of political violence.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 PM

104 posts, read 138,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Too bad we all can't be like everyone who tries to give us advice. It's always "we do it this way" meaning that we should follow suit. Everyone else always has the better way to do things.
I'm not trying to give you advice Scotty. I'm trying to understand.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,247,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Pretty much.

I do think people in power like us divided in that if the people collectively agree, then we have the power and they don't.

If the people are divided and fighting amongst each other, then we cancel each other out and the politicians have the power.
This. ^^^^^

I've said this several times, only I think it's more than just "the politicians". I think it goes even higher than that, to the unseen powers behind the public thrones.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM

161 posts, read 212,233 times
Quote:
Yes, especially true and visible with the Republicans.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,306,363 times
Quote:
to do the right thing not an attempt to 'screw' the population .
US elections seem money centered and very vitriolic. Am I right?
One group is lazy and wants other people's money for themselves; others want to keep most of what they earn and to have the government reduce in size and handouts.

There is no middle-ground IMO, and if there were to be it should be toward reducing government.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,306,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post
Yes, especially true and visible with the Republicans.
You have the most caustic President of our lifetime regarding Obama.
Race bating, class warfare and so forth.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,033,843 times
This forum does NOT represent American politics, just very opinionated discussions. 99% of the blowhard armchair whiners wouldn't dare talk to one another like this person to person...Obvious venting if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies