Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Radical anti-secessionist chief justice of the supreme court Salmon Chase quite clearly said secession was not treason...
Chase said nor wrote any such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The founding fathers committed treason when they abandoned the articles of confederation. They were also slave owners and slave traders.

Yes the Founding Fathers were in rebellion against the British Crown and they were British citizens until they went into rebellion. If they had fallen into British custady they would have gotten capital punishment maybe in the Tower of London. After the British Crown decided to end the conflict they ceased to be British subjects and the King basically pardoned them.
If President Washington had wanted and could have reached the UK he would have been welcome and a State visit would have been in order.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis."

Ole Marse Forrest gave Auntie Lewis a kiss on the cheek and we's suppos'in to put dis right der wit de Mancipation Proclamation.

Oh, someone pass a bucket so I can throw up!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution secession is not rebellion. We cannot convict him of treason." -Chief Justice Chase

Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Nathan Bedford Forrest's views were considered par for the 1860's. But one must realize Forrest was a Confederate General before that, and a well respected one too.

But what the OP failed to realize, Forrest was the Wizard who decided to disband the first KKK because he felt it got too violent (the first Klan was originally supposed to be a fraternal order), but post-Civil War bitterness changed that.
Amazing how magnanimous folks are when it comes to these historical bigots and murderers.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Even if he did one person's opinion does not constitute a fact.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Thomas Jefferson in his First Inaugural Address said, "If there be any among us who would wish to dissolve this Union, or to change its republican form, let them stand undisturbed as monuments of the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left to combat it." Fifteen years later, after the New England Federalists attempted to secede, Jefferson said, "If any state in the Union will declare that it prefers separation ... to a continuance in the union .... I have no hesitation in saying, 'Let us separate.'"

Secession was, is, and always will be legal. We applauded the Eastern European nations when they left their Union.

Look, I hate slavery, I think it was an evil terrible thing. But when it was legal, I can't look down at folks who fought for a constitutional right to leave the union if they wanted to. I know thats hard to understand in todays world, but it is a legal right. And if someone wants to have Bedford Forrest on their license plate because he represents that ideology, I don't have a problem with it. But its not for me. We honor slave owners as the founders of our nation, yet other slave owners we see as evil.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I was using that as a form of satire. I don't think that actually committed treason, just as I don't think it was treason to secede from the Union.
I consider myself to be an artisan in the fine art of sarcasm, pray tell what "form" of sarcasm would that be?

As for the treason issue, without a shred of doubt that the confederates had committed treason.

Section 3

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The only reasons that they were not tried for treason was because Chase determined that Congress in the third clause of the 14th Amendment had stripped the former confederates of their citizenship thus legislatively punishing them for having waged war against the United States and having been punished by that clause, any trial for treason would unconstitutionally expose them to double jeopardy (not as some erroneous post had suggest earlier that it was because Chief Justice Chase found secession to be legal which is ridiculous since he came to no such reasoning in White v Texas).

Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
So the OP creates a thread with a misleading (incorrect) title and doesn't come back? How does this troll have so much rep? How many times has he done this? Is he the "official" C-D troll?

I thought trolling was against the TOS?

News, John1960 doesn't like Mississippi.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
"If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution secession is not rebellion. We cannot convict him of treason." -Chief Justice Chase
Care to work on that citation? Date, where published, or spoken, a link perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies