Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
What would happen is the Chinese would get title to most of America's parks and real estate as payment.
Which is a lot like buying rural mountain property with no right of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
U.S. Too Big to Fail.

As they said in Oklahoma during the S&L Crisis; if you owe the bank $1,000, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank $10,000,000 you own the bank. If China were a bank, we'd own it too.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Don't get too smug over that. China still has a surplus, a big surplus of cash to spend.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And no this does not surprise me in any way, surprise any of you!

I'm surprised BB admitted it.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm surprised BB admitted it.
Could be he's trying to send a message to Congress to stop spending ?
They haven't listened to him for 2 years now.

And it's not a secret about China's debt holdings; just not very publicized about the agency bonds. If those Congressmen/women don't read their own laws they probably don't read anyone else's reports.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
I heard a great quote once:

"If you owe the bank a few thousand, they own you. If you owe the bank a few million you own them."

Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Ownership and possession are two very different things. We did not post our country as collateral so they do not own us in any way. If by some error they try and take possession they will learn that we are a well armed nation with a very big Military. Hell, I do not approve of foreign ownership of ANY of our natural resources. They can buy our minerals but not own the mines.

I never approved of Reagan's shift from a balanced budget supported by a progressive income tax to a huge debt supported by nothing. Our uppermost class is more than rich enough to pay for maintaining the country they own. It is past time they did. I also did not approve of ANY of our escapades in the Middle East or the political support of a Feudal Kingdom called Saudi Arabia.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can that be..that is because China holds a big, really big position in mortgage bonds. That figure is not plastered on the MSM as much as their Treasury position. The Fed has surpassed China with Treasury holdings.

And now you know why the government is so keen on getting the home bubble going again and why they are so keen to help homeowners keep those mortgage payments coming.

China probably owns 50% if not more of American homes I'll wager.
From your link:

".. China watchers such as Scissors, who says Chinese holdings of Treasury and agency debt – that issued by the mortgage investors Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac – likely range between $2 trillion and $2.5 trillion."
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
What would happen is the Chinese would get title to most of America's parks and real estate as payment.
And it's evident in places like Australia and Vancouver, where Chinese money has overheated these property markets to the point that they are ready to burst at the seams any moment. I've been tot he Vancouver forum before and the locals there say the Vancouver property market is really up and unaffordable to do buying (I assume speculative) from HK/Chinese money. Australia is the same way right now. Lot of Chinese investors speculating on Australian real estate, pushing property prices far up what normal people on normal incomes can afford.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Oops, it's actually double what you thought it was...

Our dollar, China's $2 trillion problem - Street Sweep: Fortune's Wall Street Blog

How can that be? I thought the overwhelming amount of our debt is owed to ourselves? LOL
Are you really referring to our President as Uncle Ben?? You don't see that whatever so called message you are trying to get across is colored by the reality that you are a racist?? AND you don't even have any shame about it...

Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are you really referring to our President as Uncle Ben?? You don't see that whatever so called message you are trying to get across is colored by the reality that you are a racist?? AND you don't even have any shame about it...

Your so tied up in racist values, you blew right past Ben Bernanke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies