Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
It's not independent of racism. The law of 150 is an umbrella rule. Racism just happens to be one of the ism's that falls under it.
Until you can start showing me those "races" that consist of only 150 people, your contention here is palpable absurd.

In communities of 1000 people, there will be stereotypes even if they are 100% ethnically identical.

In a group of 50 people, evenly split (more or less) between Asians, Africans and Europeans, there will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
If you're an American Indian, you could certainly make a strong argument that multiculturalism was a bad idea!

If you're not, and therefore a part of the multicultural immigrant groups, its probably been pretty good for you.
You forgot American Indians fought alongside Whites, & Blacks during the revolutionary war.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Until you can start showing me those "races" that consist of only 150 people, your contention here is palpable absurd.

In communities of 1000 people, there will be stereotypes even if they are 100% ethnically identical.

In a group of 50 people, evenly split (more or less) between Asians, Africans and Europeans, there will not.
LOL at you thinking it will be symetrically equal based on the the number of people

Your understanding is so bassackwards that I don't even know where to start if I wanted to explain this to you...

Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You forgot American Indians fought alongside Whites, & Blacks during the revolutionary war.
...........and just about all the indian wars that followed not to mention the war between states when most of the indian tribes in oklahoma sided with the south.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Quote:
LOL at you thinking it will be symetrically equal based on the the number of people
I don't think you know what "symmetrically equal" means. So I can't assuage your laughter, because I don't know what you're really trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett
Your understanding is so bassackwards that I don't even know where to start if I wanted to explain this to you...
If it was really "bassackwards" then you should know exactly where to start. You have after all diagnosed the problem with great specificity.

The point remains that your study does not support the position that racism is hard wired. It is merely a discussion of the general inability of the human brain to account for more than about 150 individuals (of any race) at a time.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
On which side?

Most of them fought on the side of the British. About 14K of them....willingly.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It worked in the US in the past because new immigrants had the desire to integrate into society. The majority of immigrants shared common European heritage and were more similar than dissimilar. Even Asian immigrants integrated well since they shared a common work ethic and desire to succeed.

We are now seeing large influxes of immigrants who have no desire to do so, and prefer to remain separate from society. There are major cultural clashes, and I don't see that changing.

This folks is what we call the whitewashing of history.

Asians "integrated well"? Is that what Chinese Exclusion and Japanese Internment were about? The only reason they've "integrated" is because they had to give up their culture and become white. Ironically, most European protestants/puritans/etc. left Europe to avoid this process but perpetrate it on every single group that walks through the American door.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This folks is what we call the whitewashing of history.

Asians "integrated well"? Is that what Chinese Exclusion and Japanese Internment were about? The only reason they've "integrated" is because they had to give up their culture and become white. Ironically, most European protestants/puritans/etc. left Europe to avoid this process but perpetrate it on every single group that walks through the American door.
Dare I add that even when folks "assimilated" it didn't help prevent them being ethnically cleansed from their homes (see Cherokees) or confined to detention camps (see Japanese).

Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
The irony here is that American Indians that fought in the American Revolution were never given full rights of citizens and many Black Americans that were slaves that fought in the war were given the promise of freedom that was in some cases later rescinded.

The treatment of non-White people by the Founding Fathers of this country is really nothing to feel proud of unless you are a racist of the highest order.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
ugh, really? do I really have to spell it out? I thought it was pretty self-evident.

Racism is just one way the brain attempts to "simplify" an environment which is too diverse for the brain to comprehend fully. Too much diversity, and the brain gets overloaded. So it simplifies things by drawing generalizations. One way the brain generalizes is based on race.
I just if you were a person of limited intelligence that would certainly apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies