Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times

Advertisements

what needs to happen in your opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM

103 posts, read 67,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I dont think people would hate it as much if politicians did not sell out.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I'd like to see a run-off election if no candidate gets >50% of the popular vote.

For example, if there are three or more candidates, and none of them get >50% of the popular vote, a run-off election will be held between the two highest vote getters.

This will encourage more people to vote for third party candidates without fear of "throwing their vote away" because they will know that if he/she doesn't win, there is still a good chance that they will be able to vote for their second choice (or against the candidate that they definitely do not want to win).

I've also heard of some places using a system whereby voters can chose more than one candidate and give a ranking as to first, second, third, etc. choice. If their first choice doesn't get >50%, then their second choice is counted.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
I dont think people would hate it as much if politicians did not sell out.
^ this.

It's too much of a US VS THEM situation and it's really catty. Too much smearing campaigns, too much of the politicians personal lives in the media.. and just.. way too much "Here is MY opinion of ____". They focus on aiming to gather votes, and that's it. Nothing truly ever gets done.

So, this is why, IMO, we need a third party. This could be a good thing, or a bad thing. Since this is America, it will turn out to be a 3 way cat fight

Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I thnik lookig atthe parties people pretty much get what they want. The problem is what they want is a pie that they presonally get a share of without contributing to the pie. Its a give me a bigger slice even if it is on the chiense crdit card. It lately has gone even furhter i that it gotten tot eh pont hat we will passon the debt to our grand children.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I don't hate the two party system, I just think it could be made better. I have a few things that I would change to take the power away from the political parties, both Democratic and Republican, and give it back to the people.

1. Turn all primaries for public office into open primaries. The top two vote getters in the primary would face off against each other in the general election. It wouldn't matter if both candidates were from the same party or were independent.

2. Take the redistricting power away from political parties and politicians. Make every district competetive and heterogenious.

3. Take the money out of politics. No private cash can be given to politicians. All federal elections would be used with public money.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
The Two party system as it is set up is like 2 football teams going at each other.

Many of Obama's policies are anything but democratic when his cabinet is full of ex Goldman Sachs boys. He is only democrat by name.

Your going to have people then going with one of teams just because of the label rather than what they stand for.

Do away with the labels and the two party system, and people will actually have to study the potential candidates to see what they are on about.

Oh, and work on Campaign Finance Reform so that those with the money and power, plus media connections don't run the circus to their benefit.

And lobbyists

Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM

425 posts, read 653,489 times
The two-party system isn't the problem with American politics. The problem is that lobbyists can legally pay off legislators while writing bills for them.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 AM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times
A parliamentary democracy like they have in Britain has its merits. I like the idea of not shutting out third parties and forcing the parties to work together to create a coalition government which in theory would have a moderating effect. However, the British system allows elections to be called by the government in power which creates a strong competitive advantage for the incumbent. This is, however, checked by the ability for parliament to issue a vote of no confidence.

I really think the presidential system is outdated. It allows for too much executive power with little to no check. It results in a cult of personality rather than maintaining time-proven policies. The presidential system allows for a high degree of instability because we are voting for individuals, not policies.

Finally, an improved government would have stronger constitutional limits on what it can spend money on and stronger protection of individual liberties than we have today.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Currently, our politicians show their allegiance to their party before they show any interest in the people who elected them. A No Party System is a better replacement. Each candidate runs on their own. Why do they need money? They need money because Americans are comfortable with the idea that the burden of responsibility lies solely with the candidate and that Americans themselves have no responsibility but to watch the charade from the comfort of their living rooms. Their involvement in the process is to throw money at it.

The best replacement system is one where elections are publicly funded. No signs, no advertisements, no banners. Each candidate would have a website and/or printed literature available, all paid by public funds in equal measure to all candidates. No one (citizen, corporation, union, or group) can contribute any money to the system. Candidates would travel around at public expense to speak at public forums and debates that include all candidates, no exclusions. The public would be well-informed of the opportunity to attend these events.

Now, for those who think this isn't enough, isn't it the responsibility of the public to attend such events? Shouldn't the work be done by the electorate to find out where a candidate stands and who they wish to vote for? At some point, the political parties used our sense of hopelessness against us because they currently determine every direction an election goes using the money they extract from the fools amongst us to brainwash the masses into voting for what always ends up being the lesser of two evils. The sooner we abandon the monster of our two-party system, the better off we'll all be.

The media's sole responsibility is to give us access to the process. No opinions, no polls, no nothing unless it's to expose corruption or wrongdoing. But here too Americans like their work done for them. They put their brains on hold and let polls and popular opinion guide their choices. Millions vote because they want to pick the winner like it's a game. How often does it occur to us to pick the BEST person for the job and let these party shenanigans and media manipulations fall on deaf ears? It certainly must not be often because NOTHING has changed in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies