Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM

103 posts, read 67,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
This is not a 'big news story', it's not in the newspapers, not on the internet and is not being broadcast on MSNBC. This was a personal email and plea for assistance from my cousin. Her son attends the school and the class in which this has taken place.

As I said, in the first post...if your interested in replacing the 'morning jokes' with the return of the pledge, feel free to IM me.

Otherwise, this is a matter of whether you think the pledge is a brainwashing technique (someone else's thoughts not mine) or a matter of paying allegiance to your Nation.

Thanks
Im sure FOX will have this on their front page within hours. Nothing riles up the sheep like the big liberal education keeping kids from reciting the pledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
... while we still love our country.
I sure hope so. Just can't understand why we would want to refrain from pledging our allegiance to our great nation. Then again, I'm the idiot who still has a flag out front and stands for the anthem. Oh well...I guess times are changing and I am getting old.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Im sure FOX will have this on their front page within hours. Nothing riles up the sheep like the big liberal education keeping kids from reciting the pledge.
Wanna bet? No one is calling Fox...this parent just thinks it's a little stupid to be telling jokes over pledging allegiance.

However, if you'd like to call MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, I'm sure she would title this Parent "the worst person in the world".

Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I sure hope so. Just can't understand why we would want to refrain from pledging our allegiance to our great nation. Then again, I'm the idiot who still has a flag out front and stands for the anthem. Oh well...I guess times are changing and I am getting old.
It does nothing for the kids. They have just memorized these words and spitting them back verbatim.

Do you think we should force kids to recite the pledge? if not, do you feel that we should also tell them that they do not have to stand during the pledge while others do it?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Wanna bet? No one is calling Fox...this parent just thinks it's a little stupid to be telling jokes over pledging allegiance.

However, if you'd like to call MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, I'm sure she would title this Parent "the worst person in the world".
You dont know if fox will pick up this story, but you must realize that this is the type of story that they love to carry. Especially over at fox nation.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
A lot has changed, 90sman. We are ****GASP**** progressing while we still love our country.
I know. But not all of the "progression" has necessarily been good. The only things that have really improved in the past 40-50 years are racism and women now have more rights than they did in the past. Although negative attitudes still linger towards black people, we are definitely much better than we were in the days of openly encouraged racism of Mississippi and when women couldn't even get a credit card under her own name. We also have better technology and more knowledge about the world.

But the liberation has also had bad parts to it, the divorce rate has skyrocketed so that nearly half of marriage now fail, 1 million+ abortions are being performed yearly in this country, the marriage rate has fallen to the lowest in recorded history, over 40% of all babies are now born out of wedlock, work ethics have fallen, parents have become too relaxed in how they raise their children to point where they try to be "friends" with them. The list goes on and on.

But, all in all, country has worsened in some ways and improved in others.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 PM

256 posts, read 216,371 times
I have nothing against the Pledge of Allegiance myself, but I wonder why it is done in schools. I mean, why not community centers, churches, sporting events, and the like? And is it only public schools that require it, or is it required for private schools also?

Why can't parents teach it to their children and recite it at home every morning?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
It does nothing for the kids. They have just memorized these words and spitting them back verbatim.

Do you think we should force kids to recite the pledge? if not, do you feel that we should also tell them that they do not have to stand during the pledge while others do it?
1. I think your first point is a broad generalization. This issue was brought to the attention of the Parent by three of the students...one of which his Dad is currently serving in Afghanistan, the second who has a brother currently stateside in the USAF, and third (her child) who has umpteen relatives either serving or have served. Somehow they tied in veteran service, with patrioitism, and the pledge. Not bad for a couple of 5th graders. Maybe they had just got done watching the CPAC wrap-up after a game of Wii.

2. I don't think kids should be forced to tell jokes or recite the pledge. I do believe they should show respect for those who choose to following along and pledge with the educator as required by law.

Question for you:

Do you believe it should be Teacher option to follow the policy/law? You know...just picking and choosing through the day?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
I have nothing against the Pledge of Allegiance myself, but I wonder why it is done in schools. I mean, why not community centers, churches, sporting events, and the like? And is it only public schools that require it, or is it required for private schools also?

Why can't parents teach it to their children and recite it at home every morning?
Parents probably could and maybe some do.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You dont know if fox will pick up this story, but you must realize that this is the type of story that they love to carry. Especially over at fox nation.
Why would they? It's apparent the Teacher is not following policy. If in the event the Administrator continues to blow it off--thus condoning the disregard of policy/law...maybe you can give them a shout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies