Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times

Advertisements

SILVER SPRING, Md., Aug. 27 — For a moment, the Ethiopian-born activist seemed to melt into the crowd, blending into the sea of black professors, health experts and community leaders considering how to educate blacks about the dangers of prostate cancer. But when he piped up to suggest focusing some attention on African immigrants, the dividing lines were promptly and pointedly drawn.
The focus of the campaign, the activist, Abdulaziz Kamus, was told, would be strictly on African-Americans.
''I said, 'But I am African and I am an American citizen; am I not African-American?''' said Mr. Kamus, who is an advocate for African immigrants here, recalling his sense of bewilderment. ''They said 'No, no, no, not you.'''

'African-American' Becomes a Term for Debate - NYTimes.com

What do you think about it ? Sorry for the old article, but African immigrants and Haitian immigrants population boomed, so I guess it's good to know more about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Anecdote does not equal data.
Some does not equal all.

Nothing to see here.
Another inflammatory racist thread.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
I know an "African-American" who isn't black.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 AM

446 posts, read 649,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, I've always wondered that, also. If a white kid is born in, say, Johannesburg, or perhaps Cape Town, and his family moves to the US, is that kid and the family as a whole still considered "African-American"?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
Because when it all comes down to it we are the same damn folks. We just come from different countries or states and different heritage. I think its stupid to start separating black americans from black immigrants. Of course there is a cultural and skin complexion difference but it doesn't change the fact that an immigrant from Africa is just as black as a born black american.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Shameful.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Some does not equal all.

Nothing to see here.

A hippie : LOL

Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Me too.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Some does not equal all.

Nothing to see here.
I wouldn't say that chiel. I've seen Jamaican immigrants treated like dirt by native African Americans born here on more than one occasion for the crime of having a positive attitude. At some point in time the realization that a struggle my people had 200yrs ago isn't requiring therapy. I can spit on the ground about the polish joke you might tell, or be annoyed by rude vendors with drunk irish tshirts. I can lament the old days about the potato famine. Did it directly happen to me? No.

African Americans native born in this country go on and on and on about slavery that happened in this country how long ago and ignore that it's happening in Africa/ Middle East/ Asia still? The attitude is why should I care? That's why I've just got to say I can't help but say they're FOS. What's really killing them is being passed by for promotions by black newcomers. Not only don't they seek out and create racism, their lack of chip on the shoulder makes onward and upward much easier than the self imposed handicap cultivated in 'the black community'.

If black isn't a relevant issue at all why is every thread mentioning black called racist?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Many American blacks are flat out jealous that most African black immigrants to the U.S.A. can and do get good jobs as a result of being better educated and more intelligent than most American blacks.

On the other hand, these same American blacks hate the African black immigrants to the U.S.A. because most of the immigrants actually can speak English properly and their men rarely abandon their own children.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-13-2011 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies