Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

Both situations are really similar. Most of my ancestors were Protestant settlers Northern Ireland who cried uncle after a couple generations and moved on to Southern Appalachia.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
I think it is a really dumb thread. .

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Judging by some of the posters treatment of the subject of white Africans in this forum alone, I would have to say I'd rather be a Irish Protestant in Ireland.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Judging by some of the posters treatment of the subject of white Africans in this forum alone, I would have to say I'd rather be a Irish Protestant in Ireland.
I agree silly thread. So in that vein I will pick Black Irish or White Russian.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,717 times
This is ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
I am a White American Catholic, why would I want to be someone else?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Irish Cream!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
What! i don't get this. I much rather be myself, a proud American of Italian Ancestory.

Ciao Ciao

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,493 times
An Irish Protestant. I already am a Protestant though (United Methodist). I was raised and baptized by my Grandpa as a member of the United Methodist Church. Also my dad's side of the family is from Cuba, Spain, the United Kingdom, Italy, and France. And on my mom's side, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Both situations are really similar. Most of my ancestors were Protestant settlers Northern Ireland who cried uncle after a couple generations and moved on to Southern Appalachia.

What do you all think?
I think White South Africans and people from Northern Ireland have produced some absolutely fantastic golfers. Gary Player, Enrie Els, Retief Goosen, Trevor Immelman and several others have really represented themselves with grace and dignity. Gary Player is particularly notable for the charities he has started to help educated Black South Africans.

I think Rory MacIIlroy is one the best young golfers in the world. Darren Clarke although past is prime is still a very good golfer. Graeme McDowell had an absolutely fantastic season last year. I think Northern Ireland is well situated in terms of developing future golfers. That’s about as much as the two countries have in common.

Now as far as the dynamics of how the Boers and other European settlers moved to South Africa and how the Scotts moved to Ireland I think there are some distinctions worth noting. First, as things currently stand Northern Ireland is not re-unified with the Republic of Ireland. That indicates that the Protestant population of Northern Ireland still has considerable political and sway in Northern Ireland. According information I have about 53% of the population is Protestant and about 43% of it is Catholic. Compare the situation in South Africa where the dividing issue was race and not religion. The overwhelming majority of South Africans are Black South Africans (79.2%) versus about 9.2% White South Africans.

Also you have to look at the economic dynamics. White South Africans make about 4 times on average what a Black South African makes. This is indicative of this historical disparity in social, economic and political power that White South Africans held for well over 100 years. I don't have the exact information but I would gather the economic disparity between Protestant and Catholic Northern Irish is nowhere near as large.

The biggest difference I see in the two situations is that Protestant North Irish still hold a considerable amount of political, social and economic power. The power dynamics in South Africa are changing with White South Africans losing a great deal of political power and finding themselves having to share economic and social power more with Black South Africans. Those White South Africans not willing to share political, social or economic power with Black South Africans and those not willing go through the growing pains as these power shifts take place will find moving to another country a compelling value proposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies