Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times

Advertisements

AP News : The Orange County Register
Death Toll put at 365 as strikes continue in Egypt, with this many confirmed fatalities it would be extremely NAIVE to believe that many more Rapes and Assaults haven't already happened and will continue to happen.

Hopefully News Media Corporations and Journalists excercise better judgement and stay out of harms way as similar protests are now happening in several different Countries in the Muslim World at the moment and a few of them have high anti-Amerucan sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post

What on earth was all this outburst about? We don't need to know what happened to make a judgement on it? I never speculated on what actually happened. If she was beaten it's one thing, if she was raped it's another, if she was groped it's yet another. I just need to know it, before judging anything. I always do. You projected some really disturbing pictures though... where did those come from?
Outburst? You project too much.

And why would you ask me what my post was all about, when I very clearly QUOTED the relevant parts of your post to which I was replying? Not to mention that you seem dumbfounded by the disturbing pictures I painted, when it was you who declared, "If she was not in fact raped, that would very actually diminish the horror of the attack. By a lot." So now you're surprised that sexual acts that aren't rape are disturbing, when your prior position was that anything short of actual rape would "very actually diminish the horror of the attack. By a lot."

So which is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

You have quite an imagination. We don't know what happened, but you insist it must be the worst.
I insist? Where on earth did I do that? Since when are examples of sexual acts that are both horrifying and not rape, somehow equivalent to "insisting. . . the worst happened"? What an odd reading of my reply.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
AP News : The Orange County Register
Death Toll put at 365 as strikes continue in Egypt, with this many confirmed fatalities it would be extremely NAIVE to believe that many more Rapes and Assaults haven't already happened and will continue to happen.

Hopefully News Media Corporations and Journalists excercise better judgement and stay out of harms way as similar protests are now happening in several different Countries in the Muslim World at the moment and a few of them have high anti-Amerucan sentiment.
OK, addressing this and other posts which think journalists should not be where events are happening.

That is their JOB!

If they weren't there would any of you whine and cry about the lack of coverage? You bet your butt you would!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
In related news (pardon the pun):

• Muslim Inbreeding: Impacts on intelligence, sanity, health and society | EuropeNews

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, addressing this and other posts which think journalists should not be where events are happening.

That is their JOB!

If they weren't there would any of you whine and cry about the lack of coverage? You bet your butt you would!
No s*** It seems You have issues with anyone that disagrees with You?!?!

Thanks Capt. Obvious your powers of reasoning are overwhelming NOT?!?! YES ?!?! YOU!?!?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

That is their JOB!

Yes, that is their job but journalists are not in some sort of protective bubble (just ask Lisa Ling's sister). If they are covering a story they have to be aware that they can just as easily become a part of the story.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, that is their job but journalists are not in some sort of protective bubble (just ask Lisa Ling's sister). If they are covering a story they have to be aware that they can just as easily become a part of the story.
It's one thing to be caught in the cross-fire, or even detained, but how could one anticipate a barbaric sexual assault as part of your job?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

If they are covering a story they have to be aware that they can just as easily become a part of the story.
Of course they are aware of that. What does that have to do with anything?

A short list of reporters who have "become part of the story":

British journalist kidnapped by Basra gunmen - Times Online
British journalist kidnapped close to Somalia's pirate haven | Mail Online
Terry Anderson, chief Middle East correspondent for the Associated Press kidnaped in West Beirut
Two ABC journalists injured in Iraq - The Boston Globe
TV Journalist Wounded in Iraq Returns to the War
Sources: U.S. journalist Daniel Pearl is dead - CNN

And in case you haven't figured out the pattern, these were all men.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I haven't said anything about simple or severe, I just said that the reports said she was not raped. I don't see why you would get upset about it.
"Ex-GMTV reporter Lara Logan leaves hospital six days after Cairo mob sex-attack - and vows to be back at work within weeks"

Read more: Lara Logan assault: Former GMTV reporter suffers sex attack covering Egypt uprising | Mail Online

After watching the video below, I am certain as to why she was so compelled to go back (her compassion for the Egyptian people and her wanting to report that).

But, CBS should be culpable - no matter how compassionate or determined a journalist has become.
Some higher up should have said absolutely NOT, to her returning so soon IMO. Story or no story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGri...mbedded#at=133

Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's one thing to be caught in the cross-fire, or even detained, but how could one anticipate a barbaric sexual assault as part of your job?
She was in the MIDDLE EAST! I am sure that she didn't imagine that she would be attacked but she must have realized that as a woman (and non-Muslim foreigner) she was in a situation that the women in the Egyptian culture would not place themselves.

A woman spit at me (and I received unwanted male attention) in Morocco because my arms were bare. I never did it again. I wasn't respecting their culture. I am really surprised that so many are "shocked" by the treatment of a woman in an Arab country. Many Muslim men view non-Muslim women as "infidels" and they are not treated with respect. Many Muslim men also view western women as "loose" (ie nothing better than a prostitute).

Again, CBS never should have placed her on that assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies