Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Sorry, private school; right to work and all. I hope it hurts enrollment though. She seems very professional.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/791245979001
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
Anyone who puts (negative) stickers all over a car like that is nuts . Good for Arizona , thank goodness she is not from a state that has to keep her .

Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Anyone who puts (negative) stickers all over a car like that is nuts . Good for Arizona , thank goodness she is not from a state that has to keep her .
Before making judgment, I would like to see how her students liked her and some sort of metric on their performance. If they were high, I hope the school suffers as a result. If they sucked and if they complained about her spouting biased rhetoric during class, then I hope the school prospers.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Why should ANY employer have any say in what your political, social or religious ideas happen to be? They hired you to do a job and should NEVER have any more right than the government to control your thoughts or their expression. This is a very illustrative example of the social and economic control the Right Wing thinks is proper. Freedom of Speech applies only to them and their fellow travelers. Everyone is free to say or display what they want on the street or in the parking lot.

IMHO Employers can only control an employee in the workplace. Not in the parking lot. I mean how do you feel about an employer firing a worker because the worker has a deer rifle in his pickup truck? Not so nice when this kind of discrimination is used on you

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
The problem is that by trying to send so many messages via the side of her car, she actually sends the wrong message to everyone who sees the car.

BTW, typically when a beloved teacher is fired unjustly, there are a heck of a lot more supporters than are apparent in the clip.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Well, there were an excessive amount of stickers.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 AM

42 posts, read 35,700 times
maybe she should go into stripping instead lol

Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default The Answer is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should ANY employer have any say in what your political, social or religious ideas happen to be? They hired you to do a job and should NEVER have any more right than the government to control your thoughts or their expression. This is a very illustrative example of the social and economic control the Right Wing thinks is proper. Freedom of Speech applies only to them and their fellow travelers. Everyone is free to say or display what they want on the street or in the parking lot.

IMHO Employers can only control an employee in the workplace. Not in the parking lot. I mean how do you feel about an employer firing a worker because the worker has a deer rifle in his pickup truck? Not so nice when this kind of discrimination is used on you
A teacher imparts to their students, their way of seeing or interpreting things.

Translation - some of the personal beliefs of the teacher WILL make their way to the students.

So, if this isn't what the school wants, and the employment of the teacher was an "At will" employment, AND, the terms of employment and expectation of personal conduct laid out between the parties, then the firing of the teacher for violation of that would be correct.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Unless the school has rules that expressly forbid her from putting stickers on her car she is going to get a nice settlement out of court. From what I can tell the school violated the teachers’ right to freedom of speech, something we should all be against.
Casper

Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Are you really attempting to draw a parallel between a deer rifle in the back of a pickup and political bumper stickers?

Here, I'll help you Greg. What I think you meant to say was: How would we feel if the teacher's car was literally covered with bumper stickers that said things like: They Can Have My gun When They Pry It Out Of My Cold Dead Fingers!, or Jesus Saves!, or America, Love it or leave it!, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies