Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deturmind View Post
So because you chose a dangerous unhealthy career you feel that you should make more money? You feel you should earn white collar wages.

Those white collar people went to 4 year schools and it cost them over $100K. If you don't want to be poor get an education and don't be a welder.

You are using the unions to make more money than you deserve. Go get your deep diving cert, then you can make $120K. That is a dangerous job and deserves the pay. It is all about choice, nobody forced you to be blue collar welder. The problem with you people is that you want white collar wages with a blue collar job.

I know more about unions than anyone on this site. I have seen first hand how they took profitable companies and almost bankrupted them. I had to fight the electrical workers who demanded I stop using retired phone workers to run my LAN cables. I had a contractor in the builder who went and told the electrical workers union and they paid me a visit.

After he and his pals explained why they were there I told them to hold on I needed to get some forms so they could be an authorized contractor. Instead I called the cops and served them with no trespass papers. They left in handcuffs when they started swearing and threatening me. I refused to press charges but they were arraigned in court for terrorist threats.

So don't f'in tell me I don't know about unions!!!!
So white collar guys are the only people who should earn a good living? Pfffft...What kind of nonsense is that? And who said that all white collar guys went to college, and even if they did, who said that they all dropped 100k on their educations? And why does that even matter?

I can say the same thing you're saying by saying that you don't deserve more money just because you went to college and spend up all of your money on a worthless education. Too bad!

Why does a guy who went to college for 4 years deserve more money than a guy who went to trade school and went through a 4 year apprenticeship.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM

229 posts, read 241,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So white collar guys are the only people who should earn a good living? Pfffft...What kind of nonsense is that? And who said that all white collar guys went to college, and even if they did, who said that they all dropped 100k on their educations? And why does that even matter?

I can say the same thing you're saying by saying that you don't deserve more money just because you went to college and spend up all of your money on a worthless education. Too bad!

Why does a guy who went to college for 4 years deserve more money than a guy who went to trade school and went through a 4 year apprenticeship.?
Ha, I went to a two year county run tech school it cost me less thatn $5K total. Hard work and skill separated me from the others. Now I make $100K, when I started I made $18k. I was blue collar and I worked my way out.

Why should some loser who chose a blue collar job make what I make? Start your own company and I bet you be hiring the Brazilians and the Costa Rican instead of union hacks. Your pathetic and below in the lower class.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,099,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What are your thoughts?

What would happen if 25% of all American jobs were off-shored?

Offshoring: Will 25 percent of U.S. jobs end up overseas? - DailyFinance

How could it be stopped?
1. Tarriffs on imported products.

2. The population accepting that products are going to cost more.

3. Increased taxes on stocks of companies that offshore. (I personally like this one a lot)

4. There is no reason why we shouldn't be making all we consume here in the U.S. We should learn to be self sufficient.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We've got to look how this all began.

The United States wasn't the leading manufacturer in the world before the second world war.

After the war, Europes manufacturing base had been destroyed, which left one real economic power in the world. Russia tried to keep up, but capitalism won out over communist social engineering.

We have been experiencing for decades now the arrival of new manufacturing powers, because a monopoly can only last so long without competition. This is essentially what our country was during the 50's and 60's, the manufacturing monopoly capital of the world.
That would be the long and short of it.

Quote:
Our employees got a bloated sense of self worth, anything less than 12 dollars an hour is unacceptable for many of us to live on in our own mind.
That would also be correct.

Quote:
The population is 300 million people. The worlds population is over 6.5 billion. We aren't even 10% of the worlds population. Companies can't survive long in an economy that shuts out that kind of potential clients. So we enter free trade agreements that seem to hurt at first, but keep our companies able to trade with them for minimal cost that keeps many employed.
The world's population is 6.6 Billion and the US is 4.5%.

What would really happen is foreign multi-national corporations would obtain so much wealth they would simply buy out US corporations and that would be the end of that.

In other words, no matter what you do, eventually you end up in the same boat, which has a huge gaping hole and is sinking.

Quote:
We are entering a stage where our country will be mostly service industry jobs, and then many white collar workers. Until our manufacturing workers start realizing they will have to take less, this trend will continue. Just why do you think companies close up shop in the NE, then move to the SE of the country? No union, less pay is expected, with less benefits, and a younger work force. But even that part of the country can't compete with what amounts to slave labor in China.
There is no slave labor. $0.75/hour might not seem like a lot to you, but to people in other countries those are premium wages.

The lot of you have never been outside of the US and your gagginly grotesque ethnocentric point of view leads you to make boneheaded assumptions about a concept most of you know nothing about.

Just because you pay $900/month to rent an apartment, doesn't mean everyone on the Planet pays $900/month.

I used to pay $50/month for my one-bedroom apartment (and it had a dining room and the vast majority of one-bedroom apartments in the US don't).

I couldn't, and still can't eat at the Four Seasons, because I couldn't afford to pay $125 per person (plus tip) for one meal.

That's why I went to the Moscow in East Berlin, because the service and experience was superior to the Four Seasons and it only cost me $13 -- and that's for two people and the tip (and I gave the Maitre 'd and Wine Captain an extra tip --- y'all know what a maitre d'hotel and a wine captain is, right?).

So one man's slave labor wages are another man's dream wages.

Quote:
Sooner or later the scales will balance out, but it will take some time to do so.
About 5-7 decades. By the end of this century, US wages and standard of living will have declined to meet the rising wages and standards of living in other countries, and that will be the equilibrium point.

Once the equilibrium point is reached, it won't make much difference where you build your factory.

Quote:
How could it be stopped?
You can't stop it.

However, a truly christian nation could have slowed it considerably, and made it less painful for everyone, by not stealing the resources, profits and wealth from other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
I see off shoring of American jobs to foreign countries as an act of treason.
No one is required to give you employment. Your employment or lack of employment is your problem, and yours alone.

I guess tourism would be an act of treason as well, since Americans would be spending money in foreign countries and helping their economy.

Quote:
Every factory that is closed and then re-opened in another country has done grievous economic harm to the community it left here in the US.
That's your fault, because of your short-sightedness. Everything was peachy and your profited handsomely by sticking your head in the sand as your government raped and pillaged other countries for their resources, profits and wealth, and now that your government can't do that unless it goes to war, you're upset.

Quote:
Before long, the whole of the so called service economy we are left with will consist of nothing but selling insurance and preparing taxes for each other.
Unless the government goes to a Flat Tax, and in that case, there'd be no need for tax preparation.

Quote:
I think the "global economy" will be the death of the high standard of living we've enjoyed in the United States.
Without a global economy, you wouldn't have a cell-phone, MP3 Player or a computer, because you wouldn't be able to afford it.

I won't even bother addressing the fact that you have none of the raw materials required to make those things (excepting the heavy and intermediate oils required to make them).

Quote:
The theory I have read is, ANYTHING that can be done overseas cheaper can go. Thats a heckuva lot of jobs!
No one is going to drive to Mexico for massage therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I agree 100% but all this is pure Capitalism. Enabled by computers and other technology. When profit is THE motive, why would a corporation do anything different?
That isn't Capitalism, that is Hedonism. I can understand why you blame Capitalism, because that let's you off the hook for your own hedonistic tendencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The best we can do is invest in the machine (stock market), and vote Democrat of course, but it looks to be too late.
Um, publicly traded corporations (as opposed to private corporations) have a moral, ethical and legal obligation to make profits.

They have no obligation to employ people. In fact, if a publicly traded corporation can make profits without employing anyone, then that is what the publicly traded corporation should do.

So, please, continue investing in the stock market to give the publicly traded corporations the capital they need to purchase sufficient automation to do away with employees completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Offshoring actually has the potential to create jobs in the U.S.
Aha!

There's someone who has at least a bit of a clue.

These people are too dumb to realize that it is off-shoring that allows companies to make profits and keep US plants open and employing Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There are 20 million vacant homes in the U.S. and more every day.
Which only proves there is a glut of housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
4. There is no reason why we shouldn't be making all we consume here in the U.S. We should learn to be self sufficient.
Yes, and that would create a standard of living equal to that of 1910.

Cell-phone and self-sufficient is an oxymoron.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 PM

229 posts, read 241,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I will tell you why ... Because a trade is EASY to learn and master! I did not start out making $100K I started out making $7.50/hr. I have been in my field for over 20 years. I am a master of my trade.

Don't sit there and tell me about somebody that has welded for 20 years is that much better than somebody who has done it for 5.

A blue collar wage is just what it is, blue collar. The market will decide how much you get paid. If there is a shortage then you get paid more. Unions should not be the ones making the decision!!! Period!

So you don't deserve to make $100K unless somebody is willing to pay you that much NOT because the union is shaking the company down.

Last thing, 4 year apprenticeship WOW! You get paid! Union wages! You should have listened to your parents or teachers and stayed in school! It is insulting to think that any of those jobs would pay anywhere near what I make!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It would help if the US was more friendly to businesses.
Being more friendly toward business doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. GE RECEIVED A $3.1 BILLION TAX BENEFIT FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LAST YEAR.

How much more damn business friendly do you have to be than that?

The bottom line is corporations now realize they can get the same work done overseas at significantly cheaper cost than here in the United States. Also the fastest growing economies in the world are now in Asia, South America and Africa.

Businesses invest where there is the greatest return on investment to produce a product or services. Businesses expand their sales and distribution channels in the markets that are expanding the fastest. The reality is the United States is no longer globally competitive in terms of cost of labor.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,073 times
I've been out of touch lately, but whenever I've looked at the want ads in the last 4 years or so, I hardly see any ads for Bookkeepers. Does anyone know if these jobs have been offshored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies