Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,461,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why, you must remember the video of those union thugs protesting at some bank exec's home - right on his lawn, front porch, while his kid was in the house?
I don't remember that, but I disagree with that happening.

Perhaps the protest laws are different in that state, if so, then its none of our business unless we live in that state.

Aren't you a states rights person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,463,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why, you must remember the video of those union thugs protesting at some bank exec's home - right on his lawn, front porch, while his kid was in the house?

That bank exec better have called the cops, ASAP.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 AM

13,723 posts, read 9,064,912 times
The crazy flat-head conservatives will say it is ok, unless you happen to be a reporter who moves in next door to the home of your beloved quitter-of-an-Alaskan-governor, then you go balistic.

Jeez, some of these replies.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,223,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is it okay to protest at people's homes? Does the homeowner or their neighbors have any recourse or does it depend upon what state you are in?

I would say how would you feel if it were your house??

Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,202,725 times
Logically:

As far as rights go:
If they're on private property, they're trespassing.
If they're on public property, then do have a right to assembly - as long as they follow the law (noise, etc).

Personally, I wouldn't protest outside somebody's house because I wouldn't want others to do the same to me.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 PM

59,516 posts, read 27,655,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Technically, you have the right to free speech. It is extremely tacky though.
In many jurisdictions a permit is required to 'block" public access, sidwalks, roads etc. In some jurisdictions you have to keep moving, ie, no standing in one spot.

I do believe protesting at peoples private homes should not be allowed.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is it okay to protest at people's homes? Does the homeowner or their neighbors have any recourse or does it depend upon what state you are in?
If no permit I think that qualifies as stalking. No, I do not condone the union thugary of following people home and camping out infront of their homes. We saw it before with ACORN. Seems those community organizers prefer stalking and thuggary.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM

39,946 posts, read 26,660,303 times
Is it RIGHT-NO!

Is it LEGAL-probably

It seems like a really good reason to have a sprinler system.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,497,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If no permit I think that qualifies as stalking. No, I do not condone the union thugary of following people home and camping out infront of their homes. We saw it before with ACORN. Seems those community organizers prefer stalking and thuggary.
Depends upon which state as far as it qualifying as stalking...do you think the very act of protesting at people's homes is union thugary?

Several years back the home of the police chief of Portland (Oregon) was the site of several nights of protesting. Seems the locals didn't like his backing his officers on something or another. They were extremely rowdy, yelling at his wife, screaming at him, etc. I don't believe they belonged to any union, but they sure were acting like thugs.

I agree that while it may be legal, it is certainly not right. There has to be somewhere that a person feels safe, a place that is their haven. Especially in this day and age, it's too dangerous for people to have their private lives invaded like that.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Depends upon which state as far as it qualifying as stalking...do you think the very act of protesting at people's homes is union thugary?

Several years back the home of the police chief of Portland (Oregon) was the site of several nights of protesting. Seems the locals didn't like his backing his officers on something or another. They were extremely rowdy, yelling at his wife, screaming at him, etc. I don't believe they belonged to any union, but they sure were acting like thugs.

I agree that while it may be legal, it is certainly not right. There has to be somewhere that a person feels safe, a place that is their haven. Especially in this day and age, it's too dangerous for people to have their private lives invaded like that.

I was speaking specifially to the politcal events going on now. But no, I don't think it is right, ever. A person's home is his/her castle and many states have laws allowing for the physical defense thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies