Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Seems it has become in vogue the last few years to hate U.S. citizens. Seems like a fairly broad stroke IMO. If we in the U.S. stated we didn't like people from xxx country we would be demonized. I take it pretty much with a grain of salt. It's easy to dislike people you don't know. The people I interact with from other countries seem to like me!
You mean like when we went after the French You know .... Freedom Fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,141,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Strel,
Hope it does decrease as it is not nice to take a vacation and not be comfortable on how people welcome you. I remember a few months ago while vacationing in the Greek Islands this American girl couldn’t start her rental bike. I approached her to give her a hand. As I was taking a look at her bike we talked about how nice the island was and then came the question “So, where are you from?” she tried to avoid answering but I don’t blame her.

Good tips for Americans from your link:
Avoid American fast-food restaurants and chains.
Keep discussions of politics to private places, not rowdy bars.
Take a rain check on wearing clothes featuring American flags or sports team logos.

I never felt like I had to hide the fact I was American (as if I could, despite doing our best to dress like Europeans, everyone could tell anyway!). But I didn't walk around Florence with red white and blue sweatpants on either.

A lot of Americans don't realize how chauvinistic they can come across...and you know the type.

Quote:
Keep your passport out of sight.
Keep cameras, video equipment and maps tucked away.

Soften your speech; Americans typically overshadow their hosts in the volume department.

This is something that is hard to grasp for me. Are we really that loud, just in normal conversation?

I'm not talking about the obnoxious, drunk student, but just normal people in normal conversation. I honestly tried to notice whether Americans were louder when I was in Europe, but didn't really notice a difference.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Really? I would have said (proudly) that I am from the United States of America and if anyone didn't like it that's their problem.
Then you are part of the problem.

This is exactly the kind of chauvinism that makes people think all Americans are obnoxious.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
"Cajones" meaning the will to pick on nations 1/100th of their size with no ability to strike back militarily?
When America faced down the USSR in Eastern Europe for decades, serving as last line of defense for Western Europe while Western Europe built up its social infrastructure without getting steamrolled by the Soviets, it was certainly facing a nation that could "strike back" militarily.

Research: proxy wars. Fighting "little nations" was often a contest between the US and the Soviets.

When fear of American military reprisal is one of the only things keeping China from invading and reclaiming Taiwan, it is certainly facing a power with the ability to "strike back" at any time.

When South Korea's economy depends on American military presence to keep capital and business interests confident in the stability of that nation, the American military is certainly in a situation where it's facing an enemy nation that can "strike back."

And when Euro forces have to "hitch" rides on American military equipment to get around, it's a problem. Europeans (and I love Europeans, just not their misplaced arrogance) do take the American defense umbrella for granted. Be it for even simple things like military-secured shipping lanes for European and American goods, or the securing of "resources" that Europeans enjoy whilst criticizing America for seeking.

Of course, I would love to see the United States remove itself from policing the world. Spend the money here. We've got enough armed citizenry to ensure we'll never be taken in a land invasion, and lord knows our own infrastructure and social development works could use an influx of capital currently spent propping up peoples who have no love for Americans.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM

[quote=Mr. Joshua;17969767]
Quote:

Like what?
Seriously? Do you not watch the news?
How about our supporting totalitarian regimes over there, or providing cover for Israel whenever they feel like misbehaving?

You really don't know?

Quote:
Are you saying that this is one of the main reasons that people in foreign nations hate us? Because we dash through their city squares and across their Mediterranean beaches shouting USA-USA-USA!!!
Given that I have actually seen that happen, yes, it is a factor. Rather I chose it as an example of American chauvinism, which some posters in this thread have already exhibited.

Quote:
Are you saying that Europeans do not want us to visit their nations because we do not bother to learn their many languages which change every 200 hundred miles?
No, I wrote what I wrote, and it wasn't the above at all.
It is important when visiting a foreign country to make an attempt to speak the language. This is basic diplomacy and politeness, nothing more.

Phrasebooks are cheap, and can make a huge difference in how you are perceived by your host.

Quote:
If I go for a tour of several European nations which language would you suggest I spend 5 years learning before I go? Belgian, Italian, Greek, Albanian, French, Spanish, German?
I suggest you grow up first.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Then you are part of the problem.

This is exactly the kind of chauvinism that makes people think all Americans are obnoxious.
Yeah ... lets all pretend we are not Americans.

I never hide my nationality. But it is a question of how you come over. Your body language says a lot even before you start speaking.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM

38,033 posts, read 22,209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You mean like when we went after the French You know .... Freedom Fries.
That was good natured satire, after they showed us disrespect.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
No, its not. Everything was perfectly fine before Bush and Cheney started to act like arrogant pricks. But I see you are not willing to -for one second- think about the possibility that your behaviour has something to do with the perception we have of you. And that IS the reason people dislike (not hate) Americans. Jesus, its not like we don't have similar living standards (some countries even higher). No ghettos here, free universities etc.
Yeah sure, its all Bush's fault, the world love America until January 2001..... and then......

Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Yeah ... lets all pretend we are not Americans.

I never hide my nationality. But it is a question of how you come over. Your body language says a lot even before you start speaking.

I refuse to put a maple leaf on my camera bag because some other Americans don't know how to act like civilized people.

Instead, I'd rather make a positive impression of Americans.

Looking at some of the other posts in this thread, it's not hard to see why some think us obnoxious...

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's what happens when you have the mindset that you are somehow better than anybody just because you are an American.

Also Americans are notorious for traveling to other countries and not respecting the culture, history and language of other people. After all why would you travel to another country where English is not the native language and get indignant that people there do not speak English.
You can build those straw men at the drop of a hat, can't you. Ever thought about doing it professionally? Where did onih mention anything that you are ranting about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies