Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, Historiandude seems to think the Bible says the Earth is flat.

Are you also going to claim the Bible states the Earth is flat?
Yes. And the 6 day incident with 'god' taking a day off on the 7th day. Why did you type that stuff I quoted, in? The Bible (or Koran, or Talmud, etc...) is a collection of fairy stories.

Now, let's go back to the topic - evolution.

Tell me about the alternative. Please. I beg you on my knees.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
so you are saying all the elements were always there for the big bang. Is that not the same argument for god as the creator, god was always there
Which god?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,079 times
I wonder why these threads pop up as if most Americans don't accept the theory of evolution. What are there...10 or 12 people that don't?

Even major Christian churches accept it...they say it's compatible with their beliefs.

Until you can disprove their theory, no need for all this frothing at the mouth over it.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I wonder why these threads pop up as if most Americans don't accept the theory of evolution. What are there...10 or 12 people that don't?

Even major Christian churches accept it...they say it's compatible with their beliefs.

Until you can disprove their theory, no need for all this frothing at the mouth over it.

The thing is these fools don't even understand what they are arguing against.

Give me the alternative to the theory of evolution.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
God is why, evolution is how.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
God is why, evolution is how.
Give me an evidence of God.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Give me an evidence of God.
My trust that you`ll overcome your drinking and bitterness.

You take care.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My trust that you`ll overcome your drinking and bitterness.

You take care.
You should not sign off this easy.

I just asked you for evidence of god.

Come on.

Anyway, what about the evolution?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Well... there you go. Good for you!!! Calvinist hasn't been able to make that brilliant conceptual connection even though the topic has been discussed perhaps a score times with him. You run rings around him intellectually.

And you are very, very, very close. But not quite there.

Theists have already conceded the possibility of an eternal uncreated thing, in their case "God." Therefore, no theist can argue against the concept of an eternal universe without contradicting themselves. If God can be eternal then why can't the universe? This brings the two arguments (as you yourself point out) to parity. But I cannot allow that to last for long, because the arguments are not actually equal. One has actual evidence in its favor, while one does not.

1. There are two proposals in front of you for the "thing" that preexisted the Big Bang. One of them (the universe) actually has evidence in its favor. We need but look around us to experience first hand that, yes, a universe actually does exist.

We have no comparable evidence for a "God."

QED: There is infinitely more evidence in favor of an eternal uncreated universe than there is for an eternal uncreated God.

2. The laws of conservation and causality tell us that every effect must have a cause. These laws are empirically derived. In all of human history, no one has ever witnessed a violation of them... at least not in any testable venue.

The universe consists of entities, 100% of which obey the laws of conservation and causality. There does not exist a single thing in the universe that does not have a cause, exists for a term, and then ceases to exist. Even in an eternal universe, everything it contains is ephemeral and perfectly follows those laws.

An eternal God violates those laws by definition, since it is an effect that has no cause. An eternal universe does not, since it is not really a thing at all. It is just the category in which we include all things.

QED: According to the laws of conservation and causality, an eternal and uncreated universe is possible. An eternal and uncreated God is not.
Accepting that the fact of There does not exist a single thing in the universe that does not have a cause, exists for a term, and then ceases to exist. Even in an eternal universe, everything it contains is ephemeral and perfectly follows those laws.

that can no more prove what caused the big bang then a creationist can prove it. The question then goes to what caused the big bang. Do you believe it was caused by elements which always existed accidental coming to gether and blowing up somehow causing planets suns and lava pools, or do you believe that there was a creator which caused it.
Somewhere from the lava pool life was magically created which if did happen surely we could recreate it. So is the father/mother of all life on earth an amoeba accidental formed in a lava pool,or was their a creator.
When we can scientifically prove by smashing elements together we can create an organism with life then i can buy this story a bit more than a creator

Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Which god?
I use the term as the creator not as a discussion of what religion believes in what god. I believe that to be separate from this discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies