Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Whether it be teachers, Universities, 4 year degrees, or college educated people, there seems to be a lot of animosity towards learning by many members on here.

Then again, when you consider that these same people consider Glenn Beck a professor....
It's the mental anguish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Whether it be teachers, Universities, 4 year degrees, or college educated people, there seems to be a lot of animosity towards learning by many members on here.

Then again, when you consider that these same people consider Glenn Beck a professor....
I think you are ver much mistaken. The only animosity I see in these forums is towards the unions grasp on education that causes us to be 37 th in achievement in the world.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Default Why so much animosity on this board towards education

The unvarnished truth is that for some folks, their ignorance is their most prized possession. They'll follow those who confirm their prejudices and oppose anyone who tries to inform them. They're told that teachers suck, schools flop, and college professors are dumb. All simplistic one-liners that confirm their prejudice against education.

A sampling of the "heroes"...

Limbaugh: dropout

Hannity: dropout

Beck: dropout

And now, Scott Walker: dropout

I think it's very revealing that Gov Walker has targeted teachers immediately after taking office. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the GOP is successful in its nationwide push to break unions, that the entire public schools system is their next target.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Yes lets attack the unions, cry out for them to make sacrifices- where is the outcry for the CEOs to make sacrifices from their record earnings?
Public unions are funded by its citizenry. The tax payers whose property tax rates increase every year. We don't have a choice.

The CEO's are paid by the company's shareholders. Privately.

We don't have a choice but to continue being held captive by the public unions.

We can decide whether to buy a certain product from a corporation or not.

Record earnings by individuals means record tax revenue, which fund public employees.

Where do you think the money comes from?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I can only speak from experience.

When my father's company closed, he NEVER collected unemployment.

He started his own business by borrowing some cash and getting to work.

He has a 9th grade education.

When my highly educated cousin's company closed, he immediately went on unemployment and sat around sending resume's for two years, waiting for a job in his field.

The reason, he had no other skills and could not think on his feet.

Give me common sense and street smarts any day.

Having both is preferable.

BTW...i would guarantee that my father would destroy you in a Jeopardy competition!
Over the course of my lifetime I have known a few men like your father. Chief among those is my brother. He too only has a 9th grade education, but he got a job as a meat cutter at a grocery store. He quickly made meat market manager, then regional manager and now makes more money than I do. I applaud your father's gumption just as I am proud of my brother.

I agree that I may have pushed the post in question a little too far, but my intent was not to denigrate men like your father, but simply to combat this silly idea that educated people lack common sense.

BTW, I love Jeopardy and I'll bet that I could give your father a run for his money.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Please tell me about the schools you visited where you observed this.

Oh...

You didn't. You were told this and simply repeated it.
Why is free speech only allowed on college campuses when it is free speech from the left?

We see case after case where conservative speakers are unwelcome or shouted down on many college campuses.

Fact.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why is free speech only allowed on college campuses when it is free speech from the left?

We see case after case where conservative speakers are unwelcome or shouted down on many college campuses.

Fact.
There's an old saying attributed to Winston Churchill that may shed some light on this question: "If you're not a liberal at 20 you have no heart. If you're not a conservative at 40 you have no brain."

So, college kids are young and full of heart, but lack the wisdom that only time and experience can bestow. Also, I suspect that at even later ages 60's-80's that an amalgamation may take place wherein one acknowledges the merits of both ideologies.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:33 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
This board is infested with neo-con zombies who don't have a clue what real conservatism is. They have been coached (read brainwashed) by undereducated pied pipers like Beck and Limbaugh to distrust anyone in academia. In their "Bizarro World" the more educated you are the dumber you are. Trying to figure them out will only give you a headache.

Now some douchebag will post a reply calling me a liberal because that's all there is in their little black and white world. You either think exactly like they do or you're a liberal.

Wow! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
undereducated pied pipers like Beck and Limbaugh to distrust anyone in academia. In their "Bizarro World" the more educated you are the dumber you are.
i've met people who possess more than 1 college degree and they're as useful as a bump on a log or a bicycle to a fish

they are stupid to the ways of the everyday world. many are socially awkward- to me that's interchangeable with "not smart socially" or "socially stupid"

don't pretend like you don't know a few of those yourself

Last edited by grimace8; 02-23-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
what a vile thing to say. no jealousy here, trust me. folks who linger in academia generally can't cut it in the real world so they plan out their careers to stay put like cement in their little 'gated community' (academia) then they wonder why they're out of touch and why behind the curve and why others laugh at them behind their backs!
Many professors would panic at the thought of having to leave their ivory towers and have to get out and work in the real world.

Those of us who actually know professors know that about them - often they stayed on campus because they never could cut it outside it. They often live in an unreal world - they can turn the teaching over to the assistants and get tenure, and all they'll ever be expected to do is write some paper now and then.

Not all professors are great instructors. Some are terrible but tenure protects them. Same for teachers - some are truly great and inspire their students but many are below mediocre. Unlike others who work for a living, they cannot be fired for incompetency - and our students' rankings internationally show it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies