Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well said.
And let's face it you don't usually correlate the terms union and education.
That so many teachers even belong to a union is kind of a sad commentary on their professionalism.
That is a very strong part of why I got out of the NEA after they admitted to being a union so they wouldn't lose members to the NFT that admitted to being a union from the onset. I couldn't stand the fact that my education, lots of it, would be used by the NEA to further their interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Reading these boards I often get the feeling that a lot of folks were students who performed very poorly and never forgave their teachers for all those Ds that they received.

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Couldn't agree more. It's likely the hand in hand tie in with low IQ people and them strongly supporting the right. They for some reason are proud of having little education and think those that worked hard to get a quality education are somehow bad. Though ignorance is what loons like Beck and Limbaugh thrive on. If their viewers got more intelligent, they would no longer follow them

You wrote this steaming pile of illeteracy...

It's likely the hand in hand tie in with low IQ people and them strongly supporting the right. They for some reason are proud of having little education and think those that worked hard to get a quality education are somehow bad.

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Most likely because the only experience many have with a college is when they serve the freshman their lunch.

It's easier to disdain and hate those they are jealous of.
That is a good summation.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, think about this.

1. The "Fox News" conservatives (including Beck and Sean) constantly tell their viewers that they alone have the truth. All other information sources are lies. (which is great marketing, by the way)
2. They tell their followers that the educated are somehow not true red blooded Americans. We're snobs. We're not a part of American life. We listen to NPR and live in enclaves like Boston, San Francisco and New York. We supposedly look down on people from...say...Missouri and have no understanding of what the average person's life is like.
3. Not only that, but the educated "elites" are dangerous because they try to take peoples' children and indoctrinate them in educated--no, liberal--values.

I think part of it comes from Reagan, who was largely self made as an actor, then a politician and president from middle America. He wasn't an academic and, according to conservatives, he was fantastic. So that kills the need for an academic to be president. That might explain why Sean Hannity said that Barack Obama--the son of a single mother who went to ivy league schools-- "never achieved anything in his entire life".

Of course, this isn't all conservatives. There are educated conservatives out there...somewhere...but they're not the loudest voices in the movement.
I am both highly educated and very conserative. I also go with Beck on about everything he says. When was the last time you saw his show so we could disagree?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM

277 posts, read 166,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Whether it be teachers, Universities, 4 year degrees, or college educated people, there seems to be a lot of animosity towards learning by many members on here.

Then again, when you consider that these same people consider Glenn Beck a professor....
I don't understand it as well. is it to keep the masses uneducated so they can brainwash them? Is it because one of the things that you learn in college is to take what you've learned & apply it to yourself? When I was in high school, I pretty much just went w/the flow of what my dad thought. Then, i went to college & realized, hey, that's not what I believe at all! It made for a great eye-opener for sure. I guess that's what the right is afraid of, the ability to not go w/the pack. I honestly don't know but it's pretty hilarious....or sad.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM

277 posts, read 166,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am both highly educated and very conserative. I also go with Beck on about everything he says. When was the last time you saw his show so we could disagree?
Wow, that was pretty funny. I was scrolling up so I saw what you posted first & reading that, I knew immediately who it was that posted it even before seeing your name.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Backspace
Sure I have but as a college educated guy I always appreciate learning something from someone who most people would consider "uneducated". My grandfather couldn't read or write to save his life but he made some of the most beautiful wood furniture I've ever seen. He could read numbers on a tape measure and that's about it. I spend many years in college earning my degree and to this day I use things that he taught me about life as often as I use things I learned in college. I can appreciate both common sense and formal education,liberals tend to put way too much emphasis on formal education because they tend to lack common sense.
I think you make a fair point. I know some very bright people who don't have a college degree, but they love book learning. My granddad--a factory worker from Chicago--was one, and he was very intelligent. Yet he had a lot of common sense--also a good qualty. Personally, I think many conservatives way over-emphasize common sense.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM

898 posts, read 827,922 times
The hate from the left is strong this evening.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am all for education and against most of the current institutions. A real learning atmosphere has nothing to do with power dynamics, boring lectures, filling up heads with useless "facts." Teachers should be learning facilitators . . .

There are too many inept teachers on power trips wasting valuable time when students could actually be learning on their own with some mentorship . . .
Why bother with a teacher when computer could do so much better jobs of facilitating? As an old teacher I really would like to know that.

I ask that question because back in the Dark Ages of the 1980s I came upon a great CD to use in a computer for kids to learn about government from. It told them why they were wrong, when they were, and those kids, high school age hated it because all they wanted to know was if they were right or wrong and not wasting all that time on why they were wrong.

I am saying that teachers who use lecture methods aren't all wrong. I did that because it worked for kids who really wanted to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies