Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Let's see something other than anecdotal fairy tales that proves that educated people "tend to lack common sense." I put this one right up there with "street smarts": a phrase that dumb people use to feel good about themselves.
You completely lost me when you opted to add the section in bold type. What an indefensibly arrogant statement to make.

Comments like this are a prime example of why many people dislike those who claim they are educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LML
Reading these boards I often get the feeling that a lot of folks were students who performed very poorly and never forgave their teachers for all those Ds that they received.
Hey, LML. Check this out. This might shed some light for ya.

Dunning

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
You completely lost me when you opted to add the section in bold type. What an indefensibly arrogant statement to make.

Comments like this are a prime example of why many people dislike those who claim they are educated.
I don't care if the uneducated like me or not. In fact, I'd rather that they hate me. It keeps the simple minded or "street smart" at bay.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
I don't care if the uneducated like me or not. In fact, I'd rather that they hate me. It keeps the simple minded or "street smart" at bay.
Proof that claimed education in no way equals intelligence. Enjoy your unfounded arrogance.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originall posted by Roysoldboy
I am both highly educated and very conserative. I also go with Beck on about everything he says. When was the last time you saw his show so we could disagree?
I don't think following one person on almost everything he/she says (conservative or liberal) is a good decision for an educated person to make. Good for you for being highly educated. However, I truly, honestly, do not understand why a person with as much education as you do puts so much stock in Glenn Beck. I'm not meaning to be offensive, but I just don't understand it.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There isn't.
I've heard a member say that college degrees don't mean nothing, that Einstein only has a 4th grade education. What the hell is that?

Quote:
T A good quality education, you know, something that doesn't involve liberal social engineering but instead concentrates on maths, science, reading, and English?
What the hell did Einstein study, multicultural studies?

Quote:
You come off as a hyper-partisan liberal who sees the world purely in black and white, no shades of grey which there is a lot of concerning your post
Because I value education. I don't knock people who never went to college, but I don't knock people have intellectual pursuits, whether it means being a bookworm or having a degree. Your post is quite telling.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Most likely because the only experience many have with a college is when they serve the freshman their lunch.

It's easier to disdain and hate those they are jealous of.
That's a bit condescending don't you think? I am completely against the teacher's union and the leftist, apostate world of academia. Now, guess my education level.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am both highly educated and very conserative. I also go with Beck on about everything he says.
Oxymoron.

My uncle who is a Reagan loving Republican, ex marine, cop, pro gun advocate, says that Glenn Beck is a scam artist who suckers gullible fools. He also said that Palin is an idiot.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Proof that claimed education in no way equals intelligence. Enjoy your unfounded arrogance.
Look in the mirror my friend. It takes a lot of arrogance to call someone unintelligent and arrogant.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Looks like the far left bellied up to the Hater-aid bar tonight for draws of pretention with haughtiness chasers. If liberal arts colleges were offering doctorates in arrogant elitism, intolerance, and bombastism I'd think we have some candidates in the previous postings.
add yourself in there for it too honey.

Oh and yep, that's right, I can't NOT touch this: it's "bobasticism"

Quote:
Don't sell yourself short. You would make a fine candidate yourself.
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What I see mostly are people who mistake educated with intelligent.
True that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Sure I have but as a college educated guy I always appreciate learning something from someone who most people would consider "uneducated". My grandfather couldn't read or write to save his life but he made some of the most beautiful wood furniture I've ever seen. He could read numbers on a tape measure and that's about it. I spend many years in college earning my degree and to this day I use things that he taught me about life as often as I use things I learned in college. I can appreciate both common sense and formal education, liberals tend to put way too much emphasis on formal education because they tend to lack common sense.
Brilliantly put.
You are one of the few even-minded folks around here. Don't ever lose that please!

Quote:
Let's see something other than anecdotal fairy tales that proves that educated people "tend to lack common sense." I put this one right up there with "street smarts": a phrase that dumb people use to feel good about themselves.

ACK! it's the old "street smarts" vs. "book smarts" argument again...I remember that one from high school too

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
The hate from the left is strong this evening.
Along with plenty of hate from the right as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Because I value education. I don't knock people who never went to college, but I don't knock people have intellectual pursuits, whether it means being a bookworm or having a degree. Your post is quite telling.
I just have to bold this and point to it. This is the way we all should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am completely against the teacher's union and the leftist, apostate world of academia.

Would someone here please show me a highly paid teacher from a public school system in the country. Really, please do. Does ANYONE KNOW one?
(or is it all the talk of these mythical creatures that somehow has just plain made them real in your minds?)

I think you'd have an easier time proving to me that UNICORNS truly exist.

Show me any public school system and I'll show you completely BLOATED administrative salaries, while the teachers and students suffer.

I'd like to follow this up with a reposting of a note from Facebook that another friend wrote:

Are you sick of highly paid teachers?
Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300
per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special
education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an
hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.
Wait a minute -- there's
something wrong here! There sure is!
The average teacher's salary
(nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days
= $277.77/per day/30
students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Make a teacher smile; repost this to show appreciation for all educators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies