Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The push by Republican governors around the country to severely restrict or end collective bargaining rights for public employees is losing a battle with the public--according to a Gallup/USA today poll, 61% of Americans oppose taking away some of the collective bargaining rights of public workers. One would expect heavy opposition from Democrats, but according to the poll, 41% of Republicans and 62% of independents also oppose these measures.

The radical far right end of the Republican party has gone too far this time--they're losing nearly half of their own voters on this one, plus they've managed to do the nearly impossible--fire up middle and working class voters to fight back.

Scaling Back State Programs Is Least of Three Fiscal Evils
I don't need a poll to tell me how bad public sector unions are, all I need to do is remember the $500 billion that the CA taxpayers owe to the pensions of their public sector union employees. Even FDR, who was no staunch conservative, stated how incompatible unions were for government employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,091 times
COmpleted during the day, not clear if skewed toward folks who were staying home - possibly non workers. In any event, taking away something fomr someone is tough regardless, even in the countries best interest, so I am not suprised. Hard choics are tough.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
I don't know any people that say yes to that . LMAO . Oh , yes the welfare for lifers are D's . My bad .
I'm not a liberal--sorry. I think unions got a little too strong in recent years, but completely throwing them out is massive over reach, and a big majority of people agree. The unions agreed to the concessions that the governor wanted--this has moved beyond budget issues into ideology.

As far as the poll--if you want to tear it apart, fine, but it's pretty hard to do to a Gallup poll (unlike the push poll Rasmussen released earlier that was denounced by the New York times, among others).

After all, if you don't agree with the message--attack the messenger

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
That is hilarious!

Totally opposite of what was shouted Nov. 2nd, 2010.
Must be propaganda, as the majority spoke... Hell they screamed.
Doing what they campaigned on, is not a Progressive trait. I can see the confusion on the liberals part.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
Quote:
I'm not a liberal--sorry. I think unions got a little too strong in recent years, but completely throwing them out is massive over reach, and a big majority of people agree. The unions agreed to the concessions that the governor wanted--this has moved beyond budget issues into ideology.

As far as the poll--if you want to tear it apart, fine, but it's pretty hard to do to a Gallup poll (unlike the push poll Rasmussen released earlier that was denounced by the New York times, among others).

After all, if you don't agree with the message--attack the messenger
attack you ? whatever .

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't need a poll to tell me how bad public sector unions are, all I need to do is remember the $500 billion that the CA taxpayers owe to the pensions of their public sector union employees. Even FDR, who was no staunch conservative, stated how incompatible unions were for government employees.
You have a right to your beliefs, but the problem is that the public isn't with you. The far right end of the republican party is treating the elections last fall as a mandate for their entire agenda--I've got news for you. You won by pulling in swing voters who want to get the economy straightened out--they weren't supporting social agendas like this. Your folks can push whatever they want, but don't be surprised if the door hits your backside just as fast as you walked through it during the next round of elections. The R's made this mistake with Newt when they won big in 94, and they got stomped on in 96.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
The push by Republican governors around the country to severely restrict or end collective bargaining rights for public employees is losing a battle with the public--according to a Gallup/USA today poll, 61% of Americans oppose taking away some of the collective bargaining rights of public workers. One would expect heavy opposition from Democrats, but according to the poll, 41% of Republicans and 62% of independents also oppose these measures.

The radical far right end of the Republican party has gone too far this time--they're losing nearly half of their own voters on this one, plus they've managed to do the nearly impossible--fire up middle and working class voters to fight back.

Scaling Back State Programs Is Least of Three Fiscal Evils
What possible difference would this make to the Koch Brothers?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
attack you ? whatever .
The poll...not me.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
COmpleted during the day, not clear if skewed toward folks who were staying home - possibly non workers. In any event, taking away something fomr someone is tough regardless, even in the countries best interest, so I am not suprised. Hard choics are tough.
Or retirees, who tend to vote much more conservatively than other demographic groups.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I don't trust polls, even ones whose results I agree with. I've been on the receiving end of a political push poll. They read from a prepared script to help influence the person to the decision the payer wants to hear. They read a long drawn out statement written in such a way as to influence the person's choice for the poll question. When they print the results, they only print the questions. They don't print the script with these long statements prior to the question. They also don't say the geograpical location of the people polled and what percentage in that geographical location. They don't say how many of those polled were thrown out to help skew the results in favor of the people paying for the poll. I still find it silly to think that a poll of roughly a thousand people will represent the millions of people in the counry. This is not a news story. This is someone in the press trying to make news to fit their personal agenda instead of reporting the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies