Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

The push by Republican governors around the country to severely restrict or end collective bargaining rights for public employees is losing a battle with the public--according to a Gallup/USA today poll, 61% of Americans oppose taking away some of the collective bargaining rights of public workers. One would expect heavy opposition from Democrats, but according to the poll, 41% of Republicans and 62% of independents also oppose these measures.

The radical far right end of the Republican party has gone too far this time--they're losing nearly half of their own voters on this one, plus they've managed to do the nearly impossible--fire up middle and working class voters to fight back.

Scaling Back State Programs Is Least of Three Fiscal Evils
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The push by Republican governors around the country to severely restrict or end collective bargaining rights for public employees is losing a battle with the public--according to a Gallup/USA today poll, 61% of Americans oppose taking away some of the collective bargaining rights of public workers. One would expect heavy opposition from Democrats, but according to the poll, 41% of Republicans and 62% of independents also oppose these measures.

The radical far right end of the Republican party has gone too far this time--they're losing their own voters on this one, plus they've managed to do the nearly impossible--fire up middle and working class voters to fight back.

Scaling Back State Programs Is Least of Three Fiscal Evils
Thanks for providing this polling information. I was very interested in seeing where the public stood on this issue.

It would be very interesting to see how this plays out on a state by state basis and I'm going to be very interested to see if this bites the Republican Party in the *ss in the 2012 elections particularly in the Midwest. If the Republicans don't do well in Midwestern states there is no way they can win a Presidential election.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Leftist propaganda

Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Leftist propaganda
Yeah...Gallup is leftist...LOL!!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Thanks for providing this polling information. I was very interested in seeing where the public stood on this issue.

It would be very interesting to see how this plays out on a state by state basis and I'm going to be very interested to see if this bites the Republican Party in the *ss in the 2012 elections particularly in the Midwest. If the Republicans don't do well in Midwestern states there is no way they can win a Presidential election.
It's not going to be just the Midwest--there are similar campaigns by newly elected republicans across the country to enact similar legislation (it's a national strategy), although some R's (Indiana and Florida) are telling their general assemblies to back off after what they've seen in Wisconsin because they're beginning to understand they can't win this one with voters.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
I read those polls, and interestingly enough, Democrats favored higher taxes more than republicans, republicans favored cutting spending more than democrats. If based on the answers, there were equal numbers of democrats, republicans, and independents, I think the total results would be different than shown.

Of course anyone can make a poll show what they want.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I read those polls, and interestingly enough, Democrats favored higher taxes more than republicans, republicans favored cutting spending more than democrats. If based on the answers, there were equal numbers of democrats, republicans, and independents, I think the total results would be different than shown.

Of course anyone can make a poll show what they want.
Try rereading the poll and the methodology. If your accusation was correct (that the poll was weighted toward D's) then higher taxes would have been more of a preference, and it wasn't. Have you ever followed polls much? Gallup is pretty much as neutral as it gets--it's one of the most highly respected polling groups out there.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
The radical far right end of the Republican party has gone too far this time--they're losing nearly half of their own voters on this one, plus they've managed to do the nearly impossible--fire up middle and working class voters to fight back.
Don't think so.

Something fishy here;

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/...nxubu7n6yw.gif

Indies and Republicans say unions are MORE harmful, but yet, we have 61% saying they oppose curtailing CB. Doesn't make sense, would love to see the party ID breakdown.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Factbox: Several states mull limits on public unions | Reuters

Public unions have the right to collectively bargain in about 30 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
In some states in the south and west, public employees do not have the right to collectively bargain, and in Virginia and Texas, it is illegal to enter into a formal bargaining relationship with the public sector

I bet many people don't understand what they are being asked . They don't have that in their state .
When I tell people that each states Governor has different powers , they don't believe me. I'm sure the collective bargaining rights of public vs private is lost to the likes of Lady Gaga

Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Try rereading the poll and the methodology. If your accusation was correct (that the poll was weighted toward D's) then higher taxes would have been more of a preference, and it wasn't. Have you ever followed polls much? Gallup is pretty much as neutral as it gets--it's one of the most highly respected polling groups out there.
I don't know any people that say yes to that . LMAO . Oh , yes the welfare for lifers are D's . My bad .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies