Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times

Advertisements

Sorry that happened to you. Minorities put up with that on a regular basis. A flagrently racist incident(that doesn't involve violence) every now and then isn't that bad imo. It's worse when it's frequent and more subtle because it's harder to confront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 AM

639 posts, read 1,290,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Why would a White person who is racist against Black people live in a Black neighborhood, especially if they are afraid of Blacks.

I couldn't tell you why, but they exist.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:44 AM

639 posts, read 1,290,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm sorry but that's crazy. No one was suggesting that she be rude, loud, obnoxious or anything else. If she'd walked up and in a normal tone of voice, with that same smile, and said "Hi, I'd like to check these out please" it is highly doubtful that she'd be accused of being racist unless she walked up there and burnt a cross on the desk.

Stuff like this happens to me all the time with people of every race but I can't recall one time where I immediatley thought "They did that to me because I'm black" Usually the first thing on my mind (and out of my mouth) is "If you don't wanna do your job then quit" because in most cases it's the fact that they don't want to be there, not that they don't want to help you because you're white.

But since no one really knows why she ignored the silent smiling OP but helped the people who asked questions it'll just be another unsolved mystery.
" You can't look for racism anyway cause some people will just hate you not because of the color of your skin but for other reasons that can't be explained... That's life."
-Me

"Stuff like this happens to me all the time with people of every race but I can't recall one time where I immediatley thought "They did that to me because I'm black"
-You

I like people that do that kind of stuff because than I know in the future to ignore them and if they won't let me ignore them I treat them like dirt. If you don't like me, I don't like you and I will treat you like crap, simple as that.
-Me

"Usually the first thing on my mind (and out of my mouth) is "If you don't wanna do your job then quit""
-You

Yes it's crazy, so crazy that you agree with most of the points ive made.

As for being accused of a racist. Ive been accused of being a racist for telling ppl I think Eminem is a good rapper, but most of the time it will happen if you get into a confrontation with someone an than they will look for anything you say and try to twist it into something racist to win support or if no ones around when the confrontation happens they will run back to the neighborhood an start a rumor that you called them a gorilla or an N-Word or tell people that your family is in the KKK or your an undercover cop if they don't like you. The example above has happened to me. These 2 kids I knew tried to jump for reasons I don't know an I beat them up really bad, so they went back to the neighborhood an told everyone that my uncles are in the KKK jumped an beat them up and that I'm an undercover cop.
Just because it's never happened to you doesn't mean it's never happened.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Why would a White person who is racist against Black people live in a Black neighborhood, especially if they are afraid of Blacks.

Either because of economic reasons (cheapest rents), self punishment or something insidious.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Nice to know that rude and, occasionally racist, behavior is not limited to whites. The clerks I deal with never seem to be anything but polite and take my money with a smile. Sometimes forced but a smile none the less.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
A little background: I am a white female who was raised in the Midwest. I was raised, both at home and at school and at church, to believe that all races are equal, we should treat everyone the way we want to be treated, etc. I live my life that way, I agree with Martin Luther King that we should judge folks by the strength of character rather than by the color of their skin, etc.

I moved back to DC last Fall. I live in a predominantly black neighborhood of professionals, have great neighbors, etc. No racial issues at all..that is why, what happened to me today (at the library, then yet!!) rocked me to the core.
OP, which library? I live in DC.
OP, why didn't you post this into the DC forum?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I would treat it as an isolated incident, don't let one bad apple spoil the basket.
IMO, acknowledging it only fed the fire. For a racist, it isn't fun unless you can (in her case, passively) show it.
I think that sums it up. Things like that have happened to me, but they are few and far between. Most people get along fine, more or less.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM

39,872 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
A little background: I am a white female who was raised in the Midwest. I was raised, both at home and at school and at church, to believe that all races are equal, we should treat everyone the way we want to be treated, etc. I live my life that way, I agree with Martin Luther King that we should judge folks by the strength of character rather than by the color of their skin, etc.

I moved back to DC last Fall. I live in a predominantly black neighborhood of professionals, have great neighbors, etc. No racial issues at all..that is why, what happened to me today (at the library, then yet!!) rocked me to the core.

I went to the library a few blocks from my home, found 4 books I wanted to borrow and went to the desk. This library serves what is primarily (90% or so, approximately) black neighborhood. There were no other patrons at the check out desk, there was a young (30 year old?) librarian/library clerk at the desk. She was checking in books, etc. I stood in front of her, politely and silently, while she finished what she was doing. She looked directly at me, I smiled at her, but she then calmly went back to being busy on the computer. Since I did not want to be pushy, I waited, assuming she was finishing something important...but

Two separate black patrons walked up to her and asked her questions...like where certain materials might be found, where is the bathroom, etc. She very cordially and in a friendly manner chatted with them. After the second one left, I said, "If you could, I would like to check these 4 books out, please". She looked at me and said nothing for a few seconds, and then said (reluctantly), "yes, I didnt see you" Actually yes she did, she looked directly into my eyes and then she helped two other patrons.

By now I was feeling pretty upset. I said, "I didnt think this kind of thing still went on in this day and age" and she smiled and said, "well, I am not sure what you refer to". I said, "I think you know what I mean" and she smiled and said, "yes". She silently checked my materials out and slid them over to me.

Silly me, I thanked her and walked away..she never said another word.
I am almost positive it was a racial snub but would be curious as to your reactions.
That library is funded by the public, through your tax dollars. That woman, and all other employees, work for you. Report her to management at the library. Even if you ignore the racial aspect, it was pi$$ poor service. The woman needs to look elseware employement, and get over her entitlement attitude associated with public sector employment.

Had this been in the private sector, I'd find a manager to talk to, tell them about the issue, and let them know I wouldn't do business with the establishment again.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Yes it's crazy, so crazy that you agree with most of the points ive made.

As for being accused of a racist. Ive been accused of being a racist for telling ppl I think Eminem is a good rapper, but most of the time it will happen if you get into a confrontation with someone an than they will look for anything you say and try to twist it into something racist to win support or if no ones around when the confrontation happens they will run back to the neighborhood an start a rumor that you called them a gorilla or an N-Word or tell people that your family is in the KKK or your an undercover cop if they don't like you. The example above has happened to me. These 2 kids I knew tried to jump for reasons I don't know an I beat them up really bad, so they went back to the neighborhood an told everyone that my uncles are in the KKK jumped an beat them up and that I'm an undercover cop.
Just because it's never happened to you doesn't mean it's never happened.
The crazy part was the very beginning about how white people who live in black neighborhoods are secretly afraid of black people. Then move! That's what's crazy! Who in their right mind would live in an area where there afraid of 90% of the people because of the color of their skin? No one in their right mind would, which is why your comment is crazy.

If you wanna go racist examples for racist example I'm sure we can go back and forth all day but like I said when people treat me badly my first thought is not "OH MY GOODNESS! I'M BEING RACIALLY ATTACKED RIGHT NOW!"

Just because others feel that way doesn't mean everyone does.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Good for you don't know you but proud of you, for not making such a big deal about this situation, otheres might have. You handled yourself with such class, too bad some of you will not rub off on the person who treated you without respect. Even today in 2011 ignorance spews hatred, and racism still going on, so sad to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies