Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — The United States closed its embassy in Tripoli on Friday and imposed unilateral sanctions against Libya, including the freezing of billions in government assets, as the Obama administration made its most aggressive move against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi since his security forces opened fire on protesters.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/wo...macy.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
WASHINGTON — The United States closed its embassy in Tripoli on Friday and imposed unilateral sanctions against Libya, including the freezing of billions in government assets, as the Obama administration made its most aggressive move against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi since his security forces opened fire on protesters.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/wo...macy.html?_r=1
'With Colonel Qaddafi killing more of his people every day in a desperate bid to remain in power, it was not clear that these actions would do much to mitigate the worsening crisis. Sanctions, for instance, take time to put in place, and every other option comes with its own set of complications. Colonel Qaddafi, increasingly erratic, has seemed to shrug off outside pressure, becoming even more bizarre — with charges that protesters are on drugs — in the face of the world’s scorn. And unlike with Egypt and Bahrain, close American allies that also erupted into crisis, the United States has few contacts deep inside the Libyan government, and little personal sway with its leadership. '

What about the people of Libya? The delegate to the UN Security Council wept openly and pleaded for 'the world' to respond. I'm certain I don't have enough international political background to fully comprehend the implications but it sounds like many innocent people will die.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
What about the people of Libya? The delegate to the UN Security Council wept openly and pleaded for 'the world' to respond. I'm certain I don't have enough international political background to fully comprehend the implications but it sounds like many innocent people will die.
That is one of the problems with cutting off all contact. No leverage with anyone anywhere. Basically leaves two options: Invade or not.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That is one of the problems with cutting off all contact. No leverage with anyone anywhere. Basically leaves two options: Invade or not.
By the time you put an invasion force together the whole thing will be over ... one way or another. The Brits just put special forces in to pull foreigners out if the desert oil camps and that took days to plan.

In the meantime what happens to all the foreigners stuck in Tripoli and elsewhere. Gaddafi isn't stupid. If he even dreams that an invasion is on the way then they become hostages.

So you have to do the best you can in a very difficult situation.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
By the time you put an invasion force together the whole thing will be over ... one way or another. The Brits just put special forces in to pull foreigners out if the desert oil camps and that took days to plan.

In the meantime what happens to all the foreigners stuck in Tripoli and elsewhere. Gaddafi isn't stupid. If he even dreams that an invasion is on the way then they become hostages.

So you have to do the best you can in a very difficult situation.
The pictures of the airport crammed with foreign workers camping out trying to get out reminds me of the shots of the border of Serbia and Croatia with people desperate to leave anyway they could. The government forces are watching. Considering his record, he's got hostages for governments in many places who could are nicely collected already.

I hope he is forced to go before it turns worse. With at least half the country, even major cities, under rebel control, I don't think the people are going to give in. Its being compared to Romania and Kadafy's fate possibly closer to that of the Romanian dictator than the Egyptian one. The payback for his supporters will also be nasty as well.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
This evil villian does not know when to go, come hell or high water, this idiot, will not heive the message, his people want him out. He will not go peacefully, you can tell by what he is saying. To bad he thinks this highly of his evil self. This Dicator, hopefully his number is over.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
This is one case where I will take a hard line. Khaddafi is mentally unbalanced. He is living in a fantasy world. His army is deserting en masse. He only has personal security and mercinaries from Chad to prop up his regeme. We have two Marine quick response batallions off the coast right now. I feel we should immediately take decisive military action to secure tripoli and drag Khaddafi back in chains to stand trial in front of the United Nations for crimes against his people. If we do this we will show the world and the libyian people that the US will not stand by and watch a ruthless dictator commit murder on his own people. The Libyans will forever be grateful for the US insuring their freedom and we will send a message to the rest of the Arab world that we will not stand by while they slaughter their people in defense of despotic regemes. That's what I think. I know, I know, "Another US military incursion in the Middle east" but IMO, this one's a no brainer. We could be in and out like "grease through a goose" in geo political terms.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 PM

555 posts, read 877,350 times
We have a right to go get him because he gave the order for the Lockerbie bombing. Just tell his military that a salvo of cruise missiles will be coming shortly in they don't turn him over.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Look at all the little fascist empire builders.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Look at all the little fascist empire builders.
Your partisan blinders prohibit you from seeing the big picture. You only focus on partisan digs and not on the problem at hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies