Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM

148 posts, read 571,756 times

Advertisements

I know 2mares cuz you are such a perfect person and we are all idiots. You should run the country.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Evergreen, did you ever tell us what happened that caused you to get a $500 ticket?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM

55 posts, read 79,157 times
I'm seeing cops become more and more aggressive. I really feel bad for the people getting harassed by these scum bags.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
If you break a stupid law, you're technically still a criminal. It's their job to enforce laws, even stupid ones.
As well, tickets are a huge source of revenue for cities. Speeding tickets alone account for something like 2.5 billion dollars worth of revenue each year in the US. So, basically, you have the choice of your city cutting services, police issuing more tickets, or the city raising taxes.
Actually, the speeding tickets don't pay for municipal services--they pay for more cops with expensive cars and toys to hand out more speeding tickets. And there is something incredibly wrong with a government that passes laws solely for the purpose of making money (note that someone going extremely slow on a main road is MUCH more likely to cause an accident, but won't get a ticket).

I couldn't agree more with the OP. Especially since the police are so exclusively focused on traffic control (which certainly doesn't have to be done by incredibly over-compensated cops) they they could care less if you are a victim of a REAL crime. I have had my car stolen, and more than one house broken into. Not once did the police lift a finger to investigate or bring charges, even though when my car was stolen they told me which Providence gang stole it, and even though when my house was broken into I gave them the name of the delinquent that did it, along with a witness. They wouldn't even visit the delinquent to tell him they knew who he was, let alone take fingerprints after he spent the day at our house when we were at work.

We have allowed government to grow so arrogant that they no longer understand that they serve us--they think we serve them. And since we pay them incredibly well even with this attitude, we DO serve them.

Americans today are like an idiotic homeowner who hires an expensive guard dog to protect his house, but the guard dog bites HIM everyday and lets burglars take everything they want.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You know what hooligan, I was turning to go into a shopping mall, and didn't realize my blinker had cut off because I was watching on coming traffic. Like I said if you want to get technical it was a traffic infraction, but all that for no blinker?

And going back to the OP's mention about the fees, I had just had my appendix taken out and was hit with all those bills, and then I get nailed for $160 for no turn signal? Then another $60 for online traffic school? There may be a reason why some people are pissed about the fees charged. He could have given a warning, he could have used his time and effort to police a more serious matter.
Usually the cop isn't the one that sets the cost of the ticket. Take it up with the people that did, if the cost is what is eating you.

And anyway, if you have no money, what were you doing at the mall?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But then there wouldnt be anyone to blame or piisss and moan about when that speeder runs you off the road, or that drunk driver smashed into your car, or someone breaks into your house, or the drug dealers next door threaten you, or the neighbors are making too much noise..............
Missed the point of the OP, that cops spend all their time giving out tickets when that is NOT a threat to other citizens, while ignoring the crimes that DO impact us all.

I've already posted my experiences that the police could care less when someone breaks into your house or steals your car. Of course, we did once have neighbors who rented their house to a bunch of kids in a heavy-metal band; teens who played all night long with the windows open during the work week. Of course, we were similarly disappointed in the police not doing anything useful--the cops did come 2 hours after our call, and told the partiers to quiet down (this was at 4 a.m. in the middle of the week), but by the time the patrol car was half a mile down the road the music was blaring again. Another call to the police for a follow-up was ignored. We did get broken bottles dumped in our horses' pasture to warn us about calling again, but again the police couldn't do anything about that either.

And BTW, speeders don't run people off the road. If someone runs you off the road, they'll in all likelihood never get stopped by the police, unless of course they're speeding by a speed trap. Drunk drivers do get slammed, but only because they are even more lucrative than the average speeder. And it's the civil lawsuits that have the most impact there, anyway; you can rack up a DUI and still keep your license in most places.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Usually the cop isn't the one that sets the cost of the ticket. Take it up with the people that did, if the cost is what is eating you.
The excessive cost of the ticket is due to government greed. And are there really people out there that think our government "representatives" could give a flying hoot what the people want?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 AM

55 posts, read 79,157 times
The police are bad news

Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.
You said it. Don't blame the Police for doing what they get paid to do. Obey the law.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen7276 View Post
Instead they are becoming more aggressive at giving everyone stupid petty tickets over nothing. These tickets are in excess of hundreds of dollars and really hurt the people that aren't doing well right now. People that are struggling right now can't afford to pay a 500 dollar ticket. Does anyone else have a problem with these punk cops doing this to us?
If you break the law and get caught, you get a ticket.

If you don't like the law, contact your local representatives and complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies