Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

That shock running up your leg?

Tax payers fund these folks?

Get a grip.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cross posting is against the TOS. One of your RW buddies said so.

FDR was not God. Just because he said something, that doesn't make it so.
uhm its not 'crossposting..when there is cross threading....btw I am not RW (or LW)..I am a constitutionalist

and your correct FDR is not god

but the point is accurate.. a PUBLIC EMPLOYEE union should NOT have the RIGHT to strike or hold the taxpayer hostage

we INVEST money in training teachers/cops/park workers/ DOL/ DOH/ DOE(nergy)/ DOE(ducation) etc.. they are there for a REASON, to help the PUBLIC, their pay/bennie should be decided by the PUBLIC (taxpayers) or by the local/state congress(or assenbly or WHATEVER the legislatory level is called in that peticular state)... not by some crooked union bosses DEMANDING tey get 15% raises, when the inflation rate is 2% (or less) and EVERYONE else (especcially the TAXPAYER that is paying their salaries) is getting reductions in pay

there is a BIG difference between a union at GE, and a union at 'East Meadow school district'

again this is WHY..private unions sure...public unions NO

Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM

103 posts, read 67,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That shock running up your leg?

Tax payers fund these folks?

Get a grip.

another one that "doesn't get it"

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
another one that "doesn't get it"
What was there to "get"?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm its not 'crossposting..when there is cross threading....btw I am not RW (or LW)..I am a constitutionalist

and your correct FDR is not god

but the point is accurate.. a PUBLIC EMPLOYEE union should NOT have the RIGHT to strike or hold the taxpayer hostage

we INVEST money in training teachers/cops/park workers/ DOL/ DOH/ DOE(nergy)/ DOE(ducation) etc.. they are there for a REASON, to help the PUBLIC, their pay/bennie should be decided by the PUBLIC (taxpayers) or by the local/state congress(or assenbly or WHATEVER the legislatory level is called in that peticular state)... not by some crooked union bosses DEMANDING tey get 15% raises, when the inflation rate is 2% (or less) and EVERYONE else (especcially the TAXPAYER that is paying their salaries) is getting reductions in pay

there is a BIG difference between a union at GE, and a union at 'East Meadow school district'

again this is WHY..private unions sure...public unions NO
You keep saying, in bold and caps, that public employees should not be able to unionize, but you have never explained why, except to say that FDR opposed it.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
This would better in the Gossip forum. But they are in a private sector union, they were talking about public sector unions.

Plus in order to be on TV you are forced to join the union.
Union is a union. I have never been a member of a union, but I know they are private businesses, and the GOP is using the government muscle to attack these businesses. What's up with that, and who do they target next?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I believe ANY union should have the right to STRIKE their employers. Without the power to withhold their work the bargaining is one sided with the power in the hands of the employer. As local, state and federal governments are the employers and already have too much power over the citizens the employees need the right to strike to balance the bargaining. Anti strike laws and clauses are discriminatory and unfair.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe ANY union should have the right to STRIKE their employers. Without the power to withhold their work the bargaining is one sided with the power in the hands of the employer. As local, state and federal governments are the employers and already have too much power over the citizens the employees need the right to strike to balance the bargaining. Anti strike laws and clauses are discriminatory and unfair.
Where I live the police and fire department don't have the right to strike but instead since the 70s have had the right to use outside arbitrators instead to work out disputes in contracts. That's been a win-win for everyone because it keeps the police on the job when the two sides can't agree. However, our newest elected official wants to take the use of arbitrators away from the police and firefighters union. That's just plain stupid in my opinion.

What kinds of people are going to be attracted to public service jobs if society is not willing to pay them a decent wage and benefits? I'll tell you. We'll end up with workers like they have in third world countries where you don't get anything done in state and country offices unless you slip the clerk a little bribe. You'll end up with eruption at every level in police departments with no one within the force caring. You'll end up with short-staffed and poorly trained fire departments because no one will be willing to put their lives on the line at day labor wages.

It doesn't shock me that Hannity, Rush and O'Reilly have had the benefit of union representation while still bad-mouthing unions. They are just mouth-pieces for rich guys and you can't trust anything that comes out of their mouths to be a true representation of THEY themselves actually think.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
even FDR knew the difference....
Do you think FDR was always right? Or, just when he makes for a convenient escape?

Never mind the citizen's united decision that y'all so vehemently support...

"If the First Amendment has any force, it prohibits Congress from fining or jailing citizens, or associations of citizens, for simply engaging in political speech."
- Justice Kennedy

Perhaps we should ask the same Supreme Court judges about the validity of public unions?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
actually there is nothing wrong with PRIVATE sector unions...but the iISSUE AT HAND is the raping of the taxpayer by the PUBLIC sector unions that should be abolished

PUBLIC unions should not have barganing power...private unions sure..but not PUBLIC unions

the unions make it MADITORY to be a member of the union whether the worker want to be a member or not
the union makes it maditory to pay dues, even if you dont want to be a union member..you want the job, you will be union or you can go find something else

that is union crime

there should not be anytype of barganing for PUBLIC unions...private unions sure..but not publc unions

becaue PUBLIC unions are not supposed to have barganing...period

National Labor Relations Act ("Wagner Act"),Congress enacted the landmark Act in 1935 - the Magna Carta of the American labor movement. It excluded federal, state and local employees. It created the National Labor Relations Board to enforce the rights of labor.

even FDR said so

"""Meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the government. All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ...

"Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of government employees. Upon employees in the federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people ... This obligation is paramount ... A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent ... to prevent or obstruct ... Government ... Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government ... is unthinkable and intolerable."""...FDR 1937

and you want to know WHY it is a problem to have 'collective barganing' in the PUBLIC SECTOR............The problem is there is no REAL "collective bargaining." ......Public sector unions are a client of a Democratic bureaucracy that wants their vote. The taxpayer - the "employer" - isn't a player in the bargaining process......

this is why the liberals and the unions are protesting

“Without the mandatory dues from public employee unions, the democrat party is toast. Once this ball is rolling and taxpayers realize how the scam of public unions work, this wave will be unstoppable. Wi. dems better keep running.”
Needing some new material I see. Update your copy/paste files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies