Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Ok, I looked it up, but what did your comment mean?
I think He/She means He/She will fight back.....an eye for an eye...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
IOW once a week or so some Muslim Extremist group is declaring "jihad" on the United States. 9/11 brought that "jihad" to a quick reality for a lot of Americans and sadly we fought back with a misplaced, half-a$$ed war.

My statement means that if they dare go after our children in such a cowardly fashion that I guarantee that a vast portion of the United States won't be so stupid as to allow us to fight another war with both hands tied behind our back. A move like that and I believe we begin to fight for keeps.

And before you ask "Well then what is Iraq". I'll tell you that it's child's play compared to what a U.S. military out to avenge the death of thousands of Elementary School Children would be....
Against who? They hold no land, have no standing armies, where do you strike? What do you do start dropping atomic bombs on everybody. If you strike almost anybody they achieve their goals. The people who did 911 could not have imagined in their wildest dreams how successful they would be.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Against who? They hold no land, have no standing armies, where do you strike? What do you do start dropping atomic bombs on everybody. If you strike almost anybody they achieve their goals. The people who did 911 could not have imagined in their wildest dreams how successful they would be.
Instead of knowing they're in Pakistan for instance and stopping and asking directions to the nearest terrorist I'd wager we'd pretty much give one warning to get the hell out of our way and then anyone is fair game.

To be honest I'm just barely stopping short of advocating a reciprocal holy war against Islam if the outlined circumstances of widespread attacks on Elementary Schools occurred. Maybe it would light a fire under those benevolent Muslims out there to start a VERY VOCAL condemnation of what these a-holes have been doing and force them to choose sides to make our job easier.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I think He/She means He/She will fight back.....an eye for an eye...
How do you do that? This is a more impossible situation then people want to appreciate. Me personally, I have almost no investments anymore. I sold my house that was next to a port that in my opinion is a target. Let something happen at that port and my million two house I just sold would have been worth nothing. Im am also acquiring property in an area I feel is safe and if need be I to can just go there and be somewhat self sufficient. I don't want to sound like some wacko survivalist, but that is what I am doing and I feel fine about it.

My other house that is also not far from that same port will be sold soon. I don't really have any confidence in the country and especially the American people to deal with anything adverse. This stuff is real, it's not a reality TV show. It sounds tough to say "Let them attack us and they will be sorry". Whet did Gerrge Bush say, "Bring it on", but the truth is the chaos that will follow I don't want to be around, and forget owning stocks the day after. Again, just my opinion. I live in Florida and have seen how people react to the smallest stress during hurricanes.

Turn of their electric for like a few days and they crack up. We are lucky the American people of 1941 weren't what we are today. I am very comfortable not being some chauvinistic fool. I love this country but can't put my head in the sand as to what it has become. I am honestly glad I never had any kids. I hate to think the world they may be living in the not to distant future.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Instead of knowing they're in Pakistan for instance and stopping and asking directions to the nearest terrorist I'd wager we'd pretty much give one warning to get the hell out of our way and then anyone is fair game.

To be honest I'm just barely stopping short of advocating a reciprocal holy war against Islam if the outlined circumstances of widespread attacks on Elementary Schools occurred. Maybe it would light a fire under those benevolent Muslims out there to start a VERY VOCAL condemnation of what these a-holes have been doing and force them to choose sides to make our job easier.
I am sorry to say that is exactly what they want. By the way, how long do you want to fight that war, a thousand years? Thats what it will be.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I am sorry to say that is exactly what they want. By the way, how long do you want to fight that war, a thousand years? Thats what it will be.
And the other idea is what??? Sit on our collective a$$es and hope they don't do it again??? Tell them we're sorry for making them mad and we'll dissolve Israel immediately???

You don't think any concession we give would verify that terrorism begats cooperation???

Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Oh, just read your other post.... So the answer is <in my best Monty Python voice> "RUN AWAY!!!!".

I'm not pretending to be "macho" or saying "bring it on".... I'm simply saying that the anger they saw after 9/11 would be minor compared to something like this.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
IOW once a week or so some Muslim Extremist group is declaring "jihad" on the United States. 9/11 brought that "jihad" to a quick reality for a lot of Americans and sadly we fought back with a misplaced, half-a$$ed war.

My statement means that if they dare go after our children in such a cowardly fashion that I guarantee that a vast portion of the United States won't be so stupid as to allow us to fight another war with both hands tied behind our back. A move like that and I believe we begin to fight for keeps.

And before you ask "Well then what is Iraq". I'll tell you that it's child's play compared to what a U.S. military out to avenge the death of thousands of Elementary School Children would be....
While I agree and sympathize with your sentiment, what about the fact that they are not the equivalent of being attacked by a nation? Do we level Afghanistan or Iran in retaliation? If so, how will that be received in the mid East, or doesn't it matter? How would this impact our actions against the Iranian nuclear development? Would our actions weaken Fatah against Hamas?

Would China see this as an opportunity to put the screws to Taiwan, assuming we are too preoccupied to address their issue? What about North Korea, and worse, Russia? What would be the worldwide impact on energy prices and availability if we destroy oil production facilities?

The devil is always in the details.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
And the other idea is what??? Sit on our collective a$$es and hope they don't do it again??? Tell them we're sorry for making them mad and we'll dissolve Israel immediately???

You don't think any concession we give would verify that terrorism begats cooperation???
There is not always an answer. The only answer here though is to not play the game, at least not the way they want it played. Do you feel if we didn't over react after 911 and saw it for what it was, as an act of a very few people, we would be better off today? The real way we win or at least end it is by eliminating the enemies desire to be our enemy. That does not mean they have to be our friend, just there comes a point where it is in everyones best interest to not fight anymore. Take Saddam for instance. We have no way of knowing now but what if he was still there but our puppet? Would we be better off?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I may have missed it - I admit I only skimmed through the article on this "Killology Research Group" website - but where is the source showing where a terrorist actually threatened this? One of the "Killology experts" says they are planning it, but where does he get this from? If I can pose the question.
Here is one source. Al-Qaeda's Intellectual Legacy: New Radical Islamic Thinking Justifying the Genocide of Infidels - Jonathan D. Halevi Scroll down to: Debating Islamic Retaliation: 4 Million or 10 Million American Deaths?
Not sure where the other site gets their info.
If this is really being planned, what is being done to try and stop it? Good question, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies