Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM

62 posts, read 263,574 times

Advertisements

I guess Vick is preparing to plead guilty to reduce his sentence.

One thing I'm wondering about people who are very upset about what Vick did to dogs is that how they eat meat without a hint of irony knowing the miserable conditions of cows and pigs throughout their lives.

Both of them, especially pigs are very intelligent animals comparable to dogs.

I understand the emotions people have toward their pet dogs but if you really think rationally about the suffering of animals, there should be no real reason for us to treat dogs specially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Yes, raising beef, poultry or pork is not what it was years ago.
It is an industry now.
Those hog farms in North Carolina are scary.
And reading Fast Food Nation would cure anyone of getting their McDonald's fix.
But most of us carnivores, when seeking our meals, find neatly wrapped packages at the market, not cows on the hoof or clucking chickens.
Dogs, domesticated as they are, are supposed to be companions in our society, not dinner.
Hence the apparent double standard.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
I tend to buy free grazing grass fed beef and free range chicken/egg products from small farms as often as possible and often as I can afford because I do not like the way livestock is treated so inhumanely.

Another thing about fighting pits, they are often beaten on a regular basis to make them mean, and tortured to death or executed as a punishment for losing. While I'm not trying to downplay the misery lifestock is put through, theirs is more of an overcrowding, chemically loaded lifestyle. Pit bulls are savagely beaten and I think many of the people that are extremely outraged feel that any human that could dish out that kind of treatment cold and calloused to a dog would likely do it to a human. Many studies have shown that violent criminals have started with animals and worked their way up to humans.

For that matter, I get equally pissed about the way bulls are treated at rodeos and the running of the bulls. I'm the guy always pulling for the bull to somehow beat the odds and win over the cowards that torment them. Nothing better than seeing one of these bull tormentors take a horn to the gut and get flung 20 feet into the air.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
We dont force cows to bite each other and kill each other untill they die. We dont starve them, and put them in a ring with a weaker animal just so they can get a taste of blood and kill it, hopefully making them more agressive so it can other cows.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
They are forced to maul tear flesh from bone and be mauled and have their flesh torn away for the sake of entertainment. When they're hurt and look to their owner for comfort, the owner responds by electrocution, drowning, and/or slamming them to the ground to kill them.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
I really can't get too outraged about this case. For one thing, I have had to kill other people's poorly-bred pitbulls. Pitbulls bred for fighting like to fight. That's what they do. It's not like these dogs, once in the fighting pit, just sit in the corner and whimper. No, they get in there and tear things up. That is just their nature. I think it would be much more savage to fight, say, unwilling sheepdogs than it would be to fight pitbulls.

But on a more fundamental level, I think that we need to realize that animals are merely a modified sort of chattels. Like it or not, dogfighting is a popular American sport. Dogfighting is simply how many people choose to allocate their recreational time. I'm not saying that it should be condoned merely because it exists (that would be silly), but it's part of our culture, and has been part of human culture for thousands of years. It may be distasteful, but for my part, I don't intervene. I don't call the cops on dogfighters unless they allow their dangerous dogs to wander around uncontrolled.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They are forced to maul tear flesh from bone and be mauled and have their flesh torn away for the sake of entertainment. When they're hurt and look to their owner for comfort, the owner responds by electrocution, drowning, and/or slamming them to the ground to kill them.
I think dog fighting rings and their owners need to be razed to the ground via airstrike from a A-10's 50 cal. Gatling gun.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,182 times
... gatling gun you say?

I think the difference is obviously in the idea that dogs are animals that are far more domesticated than cows. For some reason, and this may be sick, but I think "cow fighting" might actually look quite amusing. They're just so friendly and slow compared to pitbulls, ya know?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't call the cops on dogfighters unless they allow their dangerous dogs to wander around uncontrolled.
I wouldn't call the cops either. I'd just wait til the unhuman piece of dirt responsible for it was walking alone after dark to take action...

Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
I guess Vick is preparing to plead guilty to reduce his sentence.

One thing I'm wondering about people who are very upset about what Vick did to dogs is that how they eat meat without a hint of irony knowing the miserable conditions of cows and pigs throughout their lives.

Both of them, especially pigs are very intelligent animals comparable to dogs.

I understand the emotions people have toward their pet dogs but if you really think rationally about the suffering of animals, there should be no real reason for us to treat dogs specially.
Pigs and cows taste better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies