Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Punishment should Michael Vick get IF convicted?
Death Penalty. 12 25.53%
30 years. 3 6.38%
20 years. 5 10.64%
10 years. 8 17.02%
5 years. 6 12.77%
3 years. 4 8.51%
1 year. 1 2.13%
Probation. 5 10.64%
Nothing, he will be found innocent/not guilty. 2 4.26%
No punishment, even though he is guilty. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,860 times

Advertisements

To those who do not know, this guy is an NFL-All Star player who has been caught (and from the 16-page indictment against him, they seen to have a ton of evidence on this guy) torturing, killing, and fighting Pit Bulls to death.

Here is a piece of news on this guy:

Michael Vick's Co-Defendant: Vick Almost Entirely Funded Dogfighting Operation

Monday , July 30, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. —
One of Michael Vick's co-defendants pleaded guilty Monday to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy he says was financed almost entirely by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

As part of a plea agreement, Tony Taylor pledged to fully cooperate with the government in its prosecution of Vick and two other men accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as "Bad Newz Kennels" on Vick's property in rural Surry County.

"The 'Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick," a summary of facts supporting the plea agreement and signed by Taylor states.

Taylor, 34, of Hampton, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities, and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

The gruesome details outlined in the July 17 indictment have fueled public protests against Vick and prompted the suspension of some of his lucrative endorsement deals. Also, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp.

The summary of facts signed by Taylor supports the indictment's claims that the dogfighting ring executed underperforming dogs by drowning, hanging and other brutal means. Taylor admitted shooting one dog and electrocuting another when they did not perform well in test fights in the summer of 2002.

Vick, 27, attended several dogfights in Virginia and other states with his partners, according to the statement. Prosecutors claim the fights offered purses as high as $26,000.

He faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines likely will call for less. The range will be determined by the court's probation office, but the judge can depart from that range if he finds aggravating or mitigating circumstances.

Among the grisly findings: Losing dogs either died in the pit or were electrocuted, drowned, hanged or shot. The indictment said purses climbed as high as $20,000 for fights.

FOXNews.com - Michael Vick's Co-Defendant: Vick Almost Entirely Funded Dogfighting Operation - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291389,00.html - broken link)

Please vote: what punishment should Michael Vick get if convicted of the brutal crimes alleged against him???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
Anyone who abuses men, women, children, or animals needs to be thrown into jail for a very long time, so they can't continue to abuse.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,741 times
I try not to judge people before they have a fair trial. Let the court process play out and let the jury decide guilt or innocence.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,860 times
I agree, abusers of animals NEVER stop there! They abuse people and kids and etc.

Now, did anyone notice the BIG "IF" on the question??

I TOTALLY believe in presumption of innocence, but if he is found guilty, a minimum of hard 10 years would be good for this guy.

I have seen some videos on TV and if the jury sees the electrocution and torture of dogs who do not do well on dogfights.... boy this guy is in deep, deep trouble.

As a side note: Pit Bull fighting and Dog fighting in general is trailer trash/ghetto folk stuff. It is also part of the Hip-Hop "culture of death".

Rooster fighting on the other hand is a Mexican thing and although many roosters get hurt in these fights, there is no outrage, because unlike dogs, which people own and cherish, nobody seems to care for roosters. And I am not even a Peta type, but I care about the roosters.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:26 PM

85 posts, read 628,090 times
If they send him to prison he'll probably get stabbed to death by the PETA prisoners. You know they've got people on the inside.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Everybody talks about Vick. But obviously many people had an interest in dog-fighting. What kind of people would watch dogs fighting each other as a source of entertainment.

But, back to the OP. Vick is famous and a star quarterback, he is needed by the team. The team has loads of money and influence. The team can hire top notch lawyers. Professional sports teams don't give a hoot about the character of their players, as long as they perform well in the games. So I'll predict that he will get off very, very lightly. I'll bet he'll be in uniform on the field when the NFL season starts. Anyone want to bet against that?
That's the way things function in our country.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
It will all depend on just how strong the case is against Vick. The government already has someone turning on him, and they are pursuing Vick like he's the ringleader. So they are setting up a strong case against him. Federal judges like to stick to the sentencing guidelines so if Vick gets convicted the prosecutor will ask for prison time and very likely get it. Probably a year or two. And there's no parole on federal crimes. And the Feds will not care who he is or whether or not he's a NFL QB. They'll go after him with everything they have. In fact, they like to go after high profile criminals.

I think Vick's going to jail.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Everybody talks about Vick. But obviously many people had an interest in dog-fighting. What kind of people would watch dogs fighting each other as a source of entertainment.

But, back to the OP. Vick is famous and a star quarterback, he is needed by the team. The team has loads of money and influence. The team can hire top notch lawyers. Professional sports teams don't give a hoot about the character of their players, as long as they perform well in the games. So I'll predict that he will get off very, very lightly. I'll bet he'll be in uniform on the field when the NFL season starts. Anyone want to bet against that?
That's the way things function in our country.
I think I'll bet the ranch here Bob. Michael Vick will not be in uniform for the beginning of the 2007-8 season, and I would probably bet against him being on the field the entire season. There's a number of things that could happen, and only one that would put Vick in uniform for Game 1. He could be found guilty, and as previously stated, federal crimes are much more difficult to get out of than posession misdemeanor charges; he could be released by the Atlanta Falcons, or suspended by the NFL; Aurthur Blank has already suggested to Vick himself to take a year off. On the flip-side, I suppose maybe Michael Vick could say "F you everyone, I'm the Falcons starting QB!" Though at which point, Aurthur Blank would probably release him as well.

Personally, I feel that with the co-defendant pleading guilty will tell the Atlanta Falcons not to waste money on this guy, like you suggested they would do. That being said, I think it's only a matter of time before the Falcons release him. I know what's being said about the financial mess the Falcons could be in releasing Vick before the season, but at this point, if the Falcons had any brains at all (which I think they do) they would see Vick as a liability now, and not the asset he used to be.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
Add in the fact that the Virginia attorney general has already said MV will be facing state charges as well and it doesn't look good for Michael.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
Here's to hoping he gets all he deserves! The good thing out of all this is that the public has been made seriously aware of the dirty subculture of dog fighting. You would be surprised, and sickened, at those who support and uphold it, saying "oh the dogs love it, is what they live for" ad nauseum. So if MVs sole reason for existence was to expose this, am glad for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies