Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Somehow the progressive left, think it is a right for benefits when you are employed.

When the majority of labor in the USA, have no other benefits but a job and a weekly paycheck, you can see the animosity, for those with no benefits, paying for lucrative benefits for public employees, at a high cost to them.

The Progressives want to be equal and fair, right... Or do they?
Private and public sector jobs, have created a class warfare for someone doing the exact job. Public sector are making more for the same job in the private sector. Then add benefits and it is a big gap in pay.

The going rates for that job in that region of the USA should be equal, right?

So, Someone digging ditches in the private sector and someone digging a ditch in the public sector. Pay should be equal. now deduct the benefits and calculate the actual paycheck of the public employee. The same benefits the private employee must pay from his paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Majority of labor in the USA have no benefits besides a paying job.

That's the way the GOP wants to keep it. No benefits for the middle class, but plenty of benefits for the super rich.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Somehow the progressive left, think it is a right for benefits when you are employed.

When the majority of labor in the USA, have no other benefits but a job and a weekly paycheck, you can see the animosity, for those with no benefits, paying for lucrative benefits for public employees, at a high cost to them.

Private and public sector jobs, have created a class warfare for someone doing the exact job. Public sector are making more for the same job in the private sector. Then add benefits and it is a big gap in pay.

So, Someone digging ditches in the private sector and someone digging a ditch in the public sector. Pay should be equal. now deduct the benefits and calculate the actual paycheck of the public employee. The same benefits the private employee must pay from his paycheck.
Can you provide some figures of public employees making more than the equivalent private employee, before benefits? Public teacher salary vs. private school teacher salary in the same locality, for instance? Or public garbage collector vs. employee of a private refuse company?

Progressives advocate better pay for workers regardless of employer - to "raise all boats" instead of increasing the gap between the worker and the wealthy. Conservatives' arguments are in essence, "private employees have a sucky deal, but rather than get them a better deal like public employees, let's make public employees get a sucky deal, too." Meanwhile the top income brackets get more and more.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Majority of labor in the USA have no benefits besides a paying job.
Link?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
All labor in the U.S. benefits from the labor laws that unions fought hard to get in place. Their most recent victory was the Family Leave Act of 1993.

If you believe in equal pay between private and public sector similar jobs then why is it that you want the private sector jobs to race to meet at the bottom regarding benefits and pay rate? Seems to me you should be fighting to get the private sector jobs to rise up to meet the public sectors pay rates and benefits if you think they have it so much better.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Link?
I was thinking the same exact thing.Where is the Link that proves his statement????? Almost everyone I know get benefits,then again most of hem are professionals, like teachers. Maybe they are refering to Walmart workers that are not allowed to work more than 39 hours so that Walmart does not have to include benefits.
I love it when righties make wild arse statements but do not bother to provide proof of their statements. They seem to believe that if they say it then it must be true, after all that is how they get their information from their propaganda ministers and they do not require facts to back up what they are fed so why should anyone else.
Casper

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
All labor in the U.S. benefits from the labor laws that unions fought hard to get in place. Their most recent victory was the Family Leave Act of 1993.

If you believe in equal pay between private and public sector similar jobs then why is it that you want the private sector jobs to race to meet at the bottom regarding benefits and pay rate? Seems to me you should be fighting to get the private sector jobs to rise up to meet the public sectors pay rates and benefits if you think they have it so much better.
The problem with your question is you forget they do not want everyone getting better benefits they want everyone to get less. Since after all you must remember that the cost of those benefits could be much better used in the pockets of their handlers, the Rich and Big Business. Hopefully that will give you a clearer picture of where the righties are coming from
Casper

Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
What are you talking about? Private sector almost always makes more than public sector. That is why, traditionally, public sector had more benefits. To remain competitive with the private sector in attracting qualified help.

I work in local public government. I only make around $35,000 per year and there is minimal benefits. I have insurance that is deducted from my paycheck same as any private sector jobs I've had. The rate and quality of the insurance is comparable as well.

The only extra benefit I get over someone in the private sector is paid holidays off. There are about 13 a year. A paid day off is nice, but frankly, I'd rather have a higher salary and work most of those days.

So if you can let me know where these high paying, high benefit public sector jobs are I would appreciate it so I can send them my resume.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

That is why we need stronger private sector unions. If anything this isn't class warfare but rather the wealthy trying to pit workers against each other.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
You need some proof to back up your claims. I don't believe them. From everything I've read, in *most* cases, public sector employees have always made less than the private sector. The one thing they *get* to make up for less pay is mostly job security and, in some cases, more vacation time, more paid holidays, and access to more forms of health insurance (most governments are bigger than private companies so the insurance options are more varied).

But, for argument's sake, let's just say that in TODAY's economy, where many private employees have been laid off, or their wages have been reduced, or their work hours have been reduced, or they have furlough days, they are NOW making the same or less than their public counterpart. Let's say that they still have their same "less annual leave" package and their same "one choice for health insurance." Yes, in these cases they are doing worse than the public employees. That's because they TOOK A GAMBLE. Why didn't the ditch digger join the public service in 1990 when he could have? Because a private company offered him MORE money back then. And probably lots of overtime. Because the economy was booming.

WHERE WERE YOU THEN, OP...when that same ditch digger was making $10.00 per hour and the public employee was making $7.00 per hour? Why weren't you concered about the public employee then? Why didn't you feel bad for him then? I'll tell you? Because it was workin' for you then, wasn't it? It was going your way.

Now that the private employees' winning streak has run out, they want to go back to the Vegas table and complain to the house that someone else is doing okay and, wah, wah, it's not fair?

And as far as "taxpayers" footing the bill, well public employees are taxpayers too. Also, these governments (local and federal) have squandered these people's benefits and pensions with their crooked friends on Wall Street. The public employees did NOTHING to drain this system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies