Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Mike Huckaby's statement that Obama grew up in Kenya?
Yes, I agree with Huckaby 10 11.24%
No, I do not 79 88.76%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I can't believe how many uninformed people took this stupid poll!! This isn't even controversial! He did grow up in Kenya. He went to a Muslim school there too. I think it's even in his book. OMG a lot of stupid people here!! Unbelievable!!
Poe's law. I cannot tell if this is satire or whether this is an earnest poster making as dumb a post as it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

but my point was that many far-lefties are willing to excuse and overlook Obamas huge gaffe/misspeak, geography, sociology, or civic lapse.
That's entirely untrue. But let's for a moment pretend that it is true. We excuse everything Obama makes mistakes about. Everything. We're one big "excuse machine".

Fair enough?

Now that we agree that we will always excuse President Obama no matter what stupid crap comes out of his mouth, I have 2 questions for you. You ready?

1.) If it can be proven with a preponderance of the evidence, that Mr. Huckabee, in fact, did not "misspeak", but really and truly meant Kenya and not Indonesia, will you accept that as truth?

2.) If you accept that Mr. Huckabee did not, in fact, "misspeak", will you acknowledge that we have every right to call him on the original statement he made, exactly as he made it?

Now, if the above exercise does not meet with your approval for some reason, we can try a different tack. In this exercise, let's give Mr. Huckabee the benefit of the doubt and "excuse" him for mixing up Kenya and Indonesia. Okay? We're agreed, "Mr. Huckabee merely "misspoke" and said Kenya when he meant Indonesia." So just like with President Obama, we're more than willing to overlook a mere slip of the tongue.

You with me so far? Ok, now here come the follow up questions.

1.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee was feeding into the hysteria of the loonie bins out there, by saying that we should be concerned about President Obama's past because of where he grew up, even if that was Indonesia? (Which it's not, but that's not relevant to this question, since we're giving Mr. Huckabee the benefit of the doubt.)

2.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee distanced President Obama from "the average American," as if President Obama isn't an "average American" himself?

3.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee said that "what [he] know[s] about [President Obama] is "troubling?""

4.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee did not correct the interviewer when he said, "[President Obama] despises the West?"

5.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee did not correct the interviewer when he said, "[President Obama] despises the Brits?"

6.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee did not correct the interviewer when he said, "and I think he could take it all out on Israel, and that's why he despises Israel?"

7.) Why should we excuse the fact that Mr. Huckabee did not correct the interviewer when he declared, "[President Obama's] not too thrilled with our history either?"

When you answer the above, remember, for the sake of this exercise, we're willing to concede that Mr. Huckabee "misspoke" when he said Kenya, and he actually meant Indonesia. We're excusing him for that.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Further, what difference does it make? This thread is about Huckabee flirting with birthers; what difference does it make in this thread, even if Booya is completely correct and Obama thought (and hell, still thinks) that there are 57 states in the US? Does that have any affect whatsoever on the dumb thing that Huckabee said?
Agreed. According to the TOS, posters are supposed to stay on topic, which is "Mike Huckabee claims Obama grew up in Kenya".

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I can't believe how many uninformed people took this stupid poll!! This isn't even controversial! He did grow up in Kenya. He went to a Muslim school there too. I think it's even in his book. OMG a lot of stupid people here!! Unbelievable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Poe's law. I cannot tell if this is satire or whether this is an earnest poster making as dumb a post as it seems.
Me, too. Perhaps it's just late....

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
He is just trying to find a way to stay out of the election, being rejected twice is even harder.
Casper
No one has fielded the AIG candidate yet. Wait and see. Elections are too bothersome for existential entities far more qualified to lead an existential country and an existential monetary policy. All hail the sentient quark corporation.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
He is not mistaking it, he just knows the audience he was talking would not know one way or the other.
Anything like the conservative Iowa caucus convinced Obama is a muslim? These same people really believe blacks are genetically defective so I wonder what excuse they have for themselves? Blind loyalty is a killer.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
First Read - Huckabee claims Obama grew up in Kenya

Is he really that uninformed, or is he just trying to appeal to the uninformed social conservatives who are likely to support him?
Huck may have just read the e-mail I got today. It had more proof that Obama was born in Kenya than anything he has showed us up to now. I gave up on proving that long ago but it may become necessary for the Democrat party to prove where he was born to get his name on several state ballots in 2012. When you don't vet them ahead of time sometimes things like this just happen. At any rate the states hold the elections and they make the rules about who can and who can't be on their ballot. Maybe there will have to be a hurry up amendment thrown at us to change that.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Huck may have just read the e-mail I got today. It had more proof that Obama was born in Kenya than anything he has showed us up to now. I gave up on proving that long ago but it may become necessary for the Democrat party to prove where he was born to get his name on several state ballots in 2012. When you don't vet them ahead of time sometimes things like this just happen. At any rate the states hold the elections and they make the rules about who can and who can't be on their ballot. Maybe there will have to be a hurry up amendment thrown at us to change that.
Oh noes e-mails, its time to believe all of the conspiracy theories on the interwebs...

Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Oh noes e-mails, its time to believe all of the conspiracy theories on the interwebs...
Do you believe that the states and their attempts to keep this argument from going beyond this year will be stopped by anybody? If so you might want to check up on who pays for and holds those elections. You may find out that it is the 50 states and none of them helps the others either.

I enjoy it when you read one line and come back without the answers to the rest of the post. However, I hope you aren't too surprised when they start passing those proposed laws. It might hurt your feelings.

BTW, what kind of liberal conspiracy theory are those interwebs.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you believe that the states and their attempts to keep this argument from going beyond this year will be stopped by anybody? If so you might want to check up on who pays for and holds those elections. You may find out that it is the 50 states and none of them helps the others either.

I enjoy it when you read one line and come back without the answers to the rest of the post. However, I hope you aren't too surprised when they start passing those proposed laws. It might hurt your feelings.

BTW, what kind of liberal conspiracy theory are those interwebs.
A President already has to prove this before they get on the ballot already. Not to mention even if a public release is forced, well his legal birth certificate has already been released to the public.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies