Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

I mean, I have read where they came from originally, but who are they now-days? Where do they live and what do they work with.
I work in retail ( at Macy's )and every weekend we get several gypsies coming in spending hundreds of dollars on name brand clothing. When it is time to pay, they pull up a thick pile of gift cards , pull one out and hand it to me. Once I swipe their gift card it shows me that their remainder balance is well over 300 bucks, on that gift card alone. If the purchase exceeds the amount of the gift card, they just hand me another one, and another one. I have never, ever, had a one of these people pay with cash or credit cards. Never!
I once asked one girl where she got all those gift cards from, and she told me they were birth day gifts....

I have heard people, mainly retail coworkers, tell me that they also steal, switch tags etc. But I have never really experienced that. Not that I know anyways.
My main thing is the gift card mystery. It might be hard for those of you who have never worked retail to understand where I am coming from. I am not trying to be offensive so if anybody want to correct me and educate me regarding this i would appreciate it.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-01-2011 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Stevie Nicks is a good example of a gypsy, as far as I know.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 03-02-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy123 View Post
Gypsies are descendants of Indians who are nomadic. Unfortunately, due to a lack of education, social stigma, etc., they have a very hard time finding decent work, and they often resort to crime in order to get by. The gift cards sound suspicious and were probably purchased with stolen credit cards.

Sounds harsh, but it's true. They are constantly mistreated and probably deserve some sympathy.
Oh yeah. Or maybe it's the other way around. Just saying. There are tons of minorities in the world, few get that same stigma.

Maybe it was because they were nomadic and clannish.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Stevie Nicks is a good example of a gypsy, as far as I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNrrrCCTdA

I like the Dixie Chicks one, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4_wXPZ1Bnk

Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Travelers

Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
They're here [WARNING NSFW - LANGUAGE]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C-xvDh3l7E

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Well for one thing most Gypsies, live a very unconventional lifestyle. They are know for moving from place to place, in a record breaking time, as fast as they set up, they can tear apart even faster.

Most Gypsies live in a certain location for a couple of days, usually near large communities. Seeking trade and barter, they don't like money. Thus they look to trade or barter for work.

They seek trade with the locals. Gypsies usually travel in a group of 5 or 6 familes. They live in covered wagons and set up tents.

Many Gyspies live in caravans and they travel the Country looking or begging for work.

Gypsies when they leave, leave devestation behind. They leave messes wherver they go, and bring messes with them. Some learn to be thieves, and are quite good at it. Gypsies live a very unconventional lifestyle, because they never are known to be in one place for very long.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well for one thing most Gypsies, live a very unconventional lifestyle. They are know for moving from place to place, in a record breaking time, as fast as they set up, they can tear apart even faster.

Most Gypsies live in a certain location for a couple of days, usually near large communities. Seeking trade and barter, they don't like money. Thus they look to trade or barter for work.

They seek trade with the locals. Gypsies usually travel in a group of 5 or 6 familes. They live in covered wagons and set up tents.

Many Gyspies live in caravans and they travel the Country looking or begging for work.

Gypsies when they leave, leave devestation behind. They leave messes wherver they go, and bring messes with them. Some learn to be thieves, and are quite good at it. Gypsies live a very unconventional lifestyle, because they never are known to be in one place for very long.
Right now in Italy and France and other parts of the EU they're having problems with waves of gypsies coming in from Romania and often times they have cultural practices that are far outdated like child brides 10-Year-Old Mom's Home Investigated Here's a story of a 10 year old Gypsy girl that gave birth and her parents saw nothing wrong with it.

Oftentimes their children live in squalor and traditionally they are known for running scams, fortune telling outfits and pick pocket rings. Several European and American Police outfits have ran accross this. They usually don't involve LE in internal kidnapping issues (child brides) and personal diputes are often handled within.
French officials close migrants' tent city - UPI.com

Gypsy tent Cities have been closed down in France. It's an interesting age old culture that has often been maligned and persecuted. Hitler sent Gypies to the Gas chambers and Romania has forcibly sterilized many.

There are also several famous gypsies like Django Reinhardt and others in the entertainment field. The nomadic lifestyle and older customs are not exactly in the best interests of their children at time that need more stability in their lives.

Gypsies (Roma) like all other cultures have their good and bad and gypsies have often been persecuted and killed out of ignorance, in today's modern times they are adapting, especially in the US where many have assimilated.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Right now in Italy and France and other parts of the EU they're having problems with waves of gypsies coming in from Romania and often times they have cultural practices that are far outdated like child brides 10-Year-Old Mom's Home Investigated Here's a story of a 10 year old Gypsy girl that gave birth and her parents saw nothing wrong with it.

Oftentimes their children live in squalor and traditionally they are known for running scams, fortune telling outfits and pick pocket rings. Several European and American Police outfits have ran accross this. They usually don't involve LE in internal kidnapping issues (child brides) and personal diputes are often handled within.
French officials close migrants' tent city - UPI.com

Gypsy tent Cities have been closed down in France. It's an interesting age old culture that has often been maligned and persecuted. Hitler sent Gypies to the Gas chambers and Romania has forcibly sterilized many.

There are also several famous gypsies like Django Reinhardt and others in the entertainment field. The nomadic lifestyle and older customs are not exactly in the best interests of their children at time that need more stability in their lives.

Gypsies (Roma) like all other cultures have their good and bad and gypsies have often been persecuted and killed out of ignorance, in today's modern times they are adapting, especially in the US where many have assimilated.
Just curious, how can you tell if someone is Roma?

What cities in the US have significant Roma populations?

What are some traditions of Roma in the US?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Just curious, how can you tell if someone is Roma?

What cities in the US have significant Roma populations?

What are some traditions of Roma in the US?
Romani people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This link might help. Gypsies are widely dispersed in Europe, Latin America and the USA.

Since they traditionally like to keep to themselves at times it's not eay to tell unless you're familiar with them and/or their culture.

I guess the best way to tell is if you search them out or ask. A couple of friends and I went out once (the 2 others were from Mexico) and came across another Mexican girl at a shop we dealt with and one of my buddies had a feeling something was different about her, after talking to the other guy he realized she was of a gypsy background, I couldn't tell but he noticed the difference.http://www.katherinekiviat.com/#/american-gypsies/059 Here's some photos of some American gypsies.

And another article http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...025316,00.html

Last edited by antarez; 03-02-2011 at 03:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies