Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Ok, got it. You made it sound like it was southerners but I already knew this story to be in detroit. My feelings on this; the law fell down in court & emboldened terrorist activity on our own shores.

No one has the 'right' to conspire to murder anyone. Not Muslims plotting to kill Christians or the other way around. Not whites plotting demise of blacks or blacks plotting demise of whites. No one. No matter the group or individuals. I'm very glad the militia man who turned these characters in got to lead by example the real purpose of a healthy militia. Their purpose is much misunderstood and sometimes abused by malevolence. Discern the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
Wow, if Christians are so certain of their faith, why are they so bothered by a silly TV show?

Jesus had to deal with much more...

If you don't like it, don't watch it.
When every commercial image or intellectual treatment of Christianity is reduced to a cartoon description, it is offensive. They have the right to defend themselves whether you like it or not.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
When every commercial image or intellectual treatment of Christianity is reduced to a cartoon description, it is offensive. They have the right to defend themselves whether you like it or not.
I don't mind them defending it what I tire of is Christians in America acting like they're under persecution.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Frustrating indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I don't mind them defending it what I tire of is Christians in America acting like they're under persecution.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Frustrating indeed.
Yes anytime a non-believer criticizes one of the "Flock" for bad behavior suddenly Christians in America are under persecution. Oh no, there's a TV show that might be critical of Christianity. Stop the presses, American Christians are in danger!! Spare me.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Ehm - going by the description of the book, this is about people who claim to be Christian, yet utterly fail to live up to the values of the faith. If the author didn't hold the Christian ethos in high esteem, the title would be nonsensical.

Is there anything unfair in hypocrites being held up to ridicule?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
A bit of a straw man and non sequitur argument here: religion does not set any valid precedents for the USA: this is a similar situation when everybody thought the world was flat.
Every bit of western civilizations legal tradition runs a parallel track of judeo-christian laws because in biblical times they were intertwined like DNA. Split up that DNA you have a dysfunctional organism or... another nation.

Religion sets no valid precedents for USA; False. This nation could not be built without judeo-christian work ethics, extreme sacrifice, considerable altruism, massive investment into infrastructure we now call ivy league as a single example. Look at the charters of every single one of those higher learning institutions. Invariably they meant to serve a higher calling and they did so open handedly as best they knew how. Forget the details which denomination. The higher calling counted for more than who got credit for what. This nation was never intended to be kingdoms with re-branded serfs, or King state plantation masters with slaves and when commercial forces behave as such we need to rethink the license they have on our soil.

Something screwy happened in the 60's. Sure we needed to break free from some very nasty social habits choking the life out of people but... not everything our parents did was wrong. Every generation is tasked with preserving what's healthy and ridding the garden of weeds. Some weeds got planted, and some things worth preserving were sacrificed on the cutting room floor of our culture. That's a big reason why social conservatives are so frustrated. Be willing to see what it is they mean to defend and know that a whole pile of manure got lumped into that thing that's real they mean to defend. Be an honest critic or you only add to the manure and offer fuel to their fire. People attacking gays are themselves very ill people. They are ill and believe it to be health. You cannot heal yourself until you break the chains of illness in your own thinking and lead by example. If you plan on being angry your whole life you have embraced misery and blame others for it. Rise above the fray. Go paint something to help all see universal truth.

Think of me what you will. I'm a descendant of Anne Boleyn and I have no hatred of mankind. Unbelievable injustice occurred and be sure to note it was the Vatican who rebuked, all others watched a Queen be murdered by decree in plain sight. England's motto remains "God save the queen". Injustice occurs still in modern times but can we say we've learned much along the way? Is it possible for me to renounce half my DNA or my origins in general? No, it is not. Neither is it possible for mankind to renounce half of his DNA without self destructing. Every war on women men have waged throughout recorded history has only been their own demise, their own self loathing, projected onto womankind. Truth. The harder they try to rob me, the poorer they become & blame it on witchcraft. It is their own wayward path doing it.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Another reason we need to fight back against liberalism. They reek of everything vulgar, foul and degrading, destroying society.
really? So I guess calling Christians "*******" is a "Liberal thing? I happen to know many foul, degrading and vulgar Conservative Christians myself!

Do you need a laundry list?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
That's not what her post revealed: it revealed that the country club Christians were twisting social norms to justify racism, hypocrisy, and other forms of hate.
Whatever stereotypes people have going in their minds, in my lifetime I've met very wealthy people who were no better than trailer trash, poor people worthy of nobility, and vice versa. It had everything to do with character/ ethics they upheld in their own lives as individuals. When given the economic choice to do right and you refuse to do right is another lesson in the Bible.

Quote:
...I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

Parallel versions appear in Matthew 19:23-24, Mark 10:24-25, and Luke 18:24-25.
Eye of a needle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note this parable is not exclusive to Christianity. I do not mean to rob Jews of credit for their furtherance of knowledge in service to mankind and our maker. Perhaps too there is an equivalent tale in another religion that I didn't recognize. For the sake of neutrality can we say that all noble endeavors are ultimately motivated to being in service to a higher calling?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Freedom of speech works both ways. You can't have the 700 Club stating things about Haitian devil worship causing the earthquake, Falwell saying that 9/11 was caused by homosexuals, and the omnipresent atheists will burn coupled with frightening levels of hypocrisy and not expect people to comment on it.

You can say what you want, but so can we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies