Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,586,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"A January 2011 fact sheet by the pro-abortion rights Guttmacher Institute listed all the reasons that women who have had an abortion give for their unexpected pregnancy, and not one of them is lack of access to contraception"

Planned Parenthood Falsely Correlates Access to Contraceptives and Increased Abortions | The Blaze
You are joking right? I already pointed out that information is not actually recorded in the referenced document, so why repost the same incorrect article. Please reference the Guttmacher document itself, and point out exactly where it refers to lack of access to contraception. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,281,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are joking right? I already pointed out that information is not actually recorded in the referenced document, so why repost the same incorrect article. Please reference the Guttmacher document itself, and point out exactly where it refers to lack of access to contraception. Thanks.
Why don't you provide the original document if you're so hung up about it?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,891,256 times
In my personal experience working in an abortion clinic for two years, I found that a significant number of girls returned within a few months for another abortion -- even though we routinely handed out 3 or 6 months worth of contraceptive pill packets as well as a prescription as part of the discharge teaching.

I asked one girl what happened -- her response: "Before I got to the drugstore, I done popped up pregnant again."

True story.

Clearly there is more going on that "lack of access to contraception."

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM

18,410 posts, read 19,064,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
In my personal experience working in an abortion clinic for two years, I found that a significant number of girls returned within a few months for another abortion -- even though we routinely handed out 3 or 6 months worth of contraceptive pill packets as well as a prescription as part of the discharge teaching.

I asked one girl what happened -- her response: "Before I got to the drugstore, I done popped up pregnant again."

True story.

Clearly there is more going on that "lack of access to contraception."
of course there is more going on than lack of contraception however that does not mean that cutting funding and making it harder to get birth control would lower the rate of abortions.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,891,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
of course there is more going on than lack of contraception however that does not mean that cutting funding and making it harder to get birth control would lower the rate of abortions.
Well that's true enough.

The thing is, I think for liberals (and I'm more moderate to liberal on the issue of abortion) it seems an easy fix to just provide contraception and education. Not saying it doesn't have its place -- it does. But for conservatives (and I'm conservative on sexuality in relationships), the issue is so much larger. Why are so many young kids having sex in the first place? It is terribly destructive psychologically. Why are so many adults having sex irresponsibly? Sexuality is more than a pleasure ride to us. It entails commitment and responsibility. Until you fix what ails our society in that realm, unwanted pregnancy due to irresponsible sexuality will only continue, and no amount of contraceptive availability or education will fix that. Not sure that forced parenthood will fix it either, which is why I remain pro choice. But, it is much harder to change and shape an entire society's permissive attitude toward sex -- first you have to hold that value -- and this is where liberals fall down, in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,586,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Why don't you provide the original document if you're so hung up about it?
This is your thread, and the topic is based on a point that as it turns out is not true.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Boxes and packages of condoms are right there in the display cabinet at supermarkets next to the pharmacy. How much easier do you want it..packages of condoms mailed to their homes ?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Well that's true enough.

The thing is, I think for liberals (and I'm more moderate to liberal on the issue of abortion) it seems an easy fix to just provide contraception and education. Not saying it doesn't have its place -- it does. But for conservatives (and I'm conservative on sexuality in relationships), the issue is so much larger. Why are so many young kids having sex in the first place? It is terribly destructive psychologically. Why are so many adults having sex irresponsibly? Sexuality is more than a pleasure ride to us. It entails commitment and responsibility. Until you fix what ails our society in that realm, unwanted pregnancy due to irresponsible sexuality will only continue, and no amount of contraceptive availability or education will fix that. Not sure that forced parenthood will fix it either, which is why I remain pro choice. But, it is much harder to change and shape an entire society's permissive attitude toward sex -- first you have to hold that value -- and this is where liberals fall down, in my opinion.
you have hit the nail on the head as far as why it would be hard to lower the abortion rate. not all people hold the same values about sex. there will always also be irresponsible people that should do the right thing but just can't be bothered. I don't know how you fix that.

I don't like the idea of abortion for birth control but neither can I get behind the idea of making women have babies they don't want, even if they didn't use bc. I have a hard time as well imaging a 14 year old that gets carried away with her boy friend one night having to face her choices. IMO having a child at 14 would be the worst choice.

people should be more responsible but the word "should" remains part of the problem

Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
you have hit the nail on the head as far as why it would be hard to lower the abortion rate. not all people hold the same values about sex. there will always also be irresponsible people that should do the right thing but just can't be bothered. I don't know how you fix that.

I don't like the idea of abortion for birth control but neither can I get behind the idea of making women have babies they don't want, even if they didn't use bc. I have a hard time as well imaging a 14 year old that gets carried away with her boy friend one night having to face her choices. IMO having a child at 14 would be the worst choice.

people should be more responsible but the word "should" remains part of the problem
Why does everything wrong have to be "fixed" ?
Some people are not going to change no matter how much money and services you give them. If anything they may find it easier to live the life they are living.

"When it's not your money you don't care how much something costs."

Old 03-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Boxes and packages of condoms are right there in the display cabinet at supermarkets next to the pharmacy. How much easier do you want it..packages of condoms mailed to their homes ?
I am sure you have seen countless scenes in movies and skits by comedians about being embarrassed to buy condoms at the local grocery store. children are far too embarrassed for the most part to walk into the same food store they go get mom's forgotten items to buy birth control in front of their neighbors. hard enough to get them into PP where no one judges them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies