Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Well then,thank god for separation of church and state.
I pray for even deeper cuts.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 03-05-2011 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've never heard ANYONE refer to the Evangelical community as the "religious left" before, and with good reason...
My point exactly, I wont say that these are obscure people or organizations but I would say they probably use the term "Evangelical Christians" very loosely. The Bible speaks to us as individuals ...it commands us to render unto "Caesar that which is Caesars" which is generally considered by most Real Christians today as a commandment to pay our taxes. Having said all that, no where in the Bible does it tell us to relegate our personal responsibility as Christians to a Bloated, Corrupt, Inefficient Government, run by those who often do not believe in the Bible. If these self professed "Evangelical Christians" were doing their job they would not be advocating for the federal government to do it for them.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Jesus would cut food assistance to the children of poor mothers, medical treatment of the poor, family planning services, support for volunteer programs, funding for the arts, and programs that clean the environment and protect people's heath above all else.
well if you put it that way!! how sad, funding for arts no use for it, got to go.family aborting then planning services, got to go. 40 million Americans on welfare. I find it hard to believe there are even 10 million Americans who actually need welfare! there is planty to cut, lots of waste fraud and abuse!!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
well if you put it that way!! how sad, funding for arts no use for it, got to go.family aborting then planning services, got to go. 40 million Americans on welfare. I find it hard to believe there are even 10 million Americans who actually need welfare! there is planty to cut, lots of waste fraud and abuse!!
Really? Really of all the things we could cut you're going to go with welfare? How about we get our 6.1 TRILLION dollar trade deficit in order? How about the TRILLIONS we WASTE in Iraq and Afghanistan every year? What about the "fraud, waste, and abuse" that goes on in the military? How about we stop spying on US citizens, I'm sure that'd save a few bucks here and there. From there we could dismantle the Fed and that would save us from them throwing TRILLIONS of dollars to their global fat cat friends. Oh how about we close out tax loop holes for corporate fat cats? Hey we could end pork barrel kick backs. We could end the Bush tax cuts which help only the wealthy.

But no, no you go with welfare. Yeah that's the ticket.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
If you guys want to cut something, cut corporate aid. Cut defense spending. Raise taxes on the rich and corporations.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan123 View Post
I'd be that Jesus would suggest we not spend what we don't have, for starters.

Or maybe that if you don't work, you don't eat. After all, one of his apostles wrote that.
So, Jesus would be against going to war, unless we
have the money to pay for it.

and, Jesus (or his apostle) was practical enough to say if you don't work, you don't eat. but I bet Jesus says something about charity

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Exactly. Welfare isn't about rewarding laziness, it's about helping those in need. If you don't think there are people in need -- especially in this economy -- you are blind.

Social responsibility is just as important to Christianity as individual responsibility. We don't walk alone.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
this kind of people are not really christians, they are social justuce people not christians at all, phony chirstians!! Jesus woulds say to the government let people give from their free will. if you believe Jesus is god then he could have made evryone give because has the power to do so. but he chose to let people exercise their free will to give or not to give. very simple!! the federal budget can be balanced on the backs of those that fraud and abuse the system, does not have to be on the backs of poor people,we just have to make sure the poor are actually poor before getting help!!
Right...And they aren't "real" Americans either, I bet.

Anything Jesus said to back up your assertions?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan123 View Post
I use credit cards. I pay them off every month. That's not the issue. I have the money to pay it.

The point is that our federal government is in debt, and continues to budget to spend more than we take in. So to start with, I would suggest that Jesus would tell us to stop spending money.
Paul wrote that if a person refuses to work, he should not eat. That doesn't describe a huge number of people in our welfare system now. yes--we need to help people in need, but I don't know that it's the government's responsibility to feed everyone.
Have you ever had a mortgage?

Stop spending money? We are a capitalist society. How would that work exactly?

If the government stopped helping the poor, children, the old, etc., do you think that the American Christian community would step up and fill the void voluntarily? Why did they NOT do that earlier in our nation's history?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM

OK, people, we need scripture here, Jesus' words.

I'll ask a more specific question.

What would Jesus think about our military spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies