Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I was only talking about Cuba's economy. I agree their human rights record sucks. Fidel sucks. I'd never move to Cuba, because I'm all for democracy.
Is that why many trained doctors and engineers drive cabs,because their economy is booming?
Well maybe, if your last name is Castro lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You think Capitalism does that?

Corrupt Government wanting a piece of that pie, causes them
If there were no regulations, corporations would form powerful monopolies. They would outsource almost all of our manufacturing and service jobs to China or some other third-world country. Any Americans left with work would toil for unlivable wages in unsafe conditions. It would be a return to the 1850s, before corporate regulations. That is not freedom, that is slavery and neo-feudalism.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Neither Cubas economy or healthcare system is better than ours..

Let me guess.. Michael Moore fan?
Not really. Just a fan of economic freedom and opportunity. I like some of his stuff, but I don't agree with everything he says. I think Moore is too extreme.

I'm not saying we need an entirely centrally-planned economy, just one in which industry is heavily regulated and government-owned businesses compete with private ones. I'm not against private ownership or private property (though I do think there should be more public property and state-owned enterprises).

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Not really. Just a fan of economic freedom and opportunity. I like some of his stuff, but I don't agree with everything he says. I think Moore is too extreme.

I'm not saying we need an entirely centrally-planned economy, just one in which industry is heavily regulated and government-owned businesses compete with private ones. I'm not against private ownership or private property (though I do think there should be more public property and state-owned enterprises).
Who would benefit from this arrangement besides government?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
I was only talking about Cuba's economy and healthcare system. I agree their human rights record sucks. Fidel sucks. I'd never move to Cuba, because I'm all for democracy.
Healthcare system? Have you visited a doctor in Cuba ( other then what Micheal Moore) showed which is what Fidel wanted to be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNhgym2bMtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_RgM1jHeo

Fidel is laying people off because there isnt enough jobs for them to do and they cant afford to pay them anymore.

Cuba To Lay Off 500,000 State Workers While Growing The Private Sector

. At least 500,000 workers will lose their state jobs in the next six months. That means just under five percent of Cuba's total population and 10 percent of the work force will be out a of a job,but the government plans to grow the private sector to replace the jobs.

Cuba To Lay Off 500,000 State Workers While Growing The Private Sector - Miami News - Riptide 2.0

As I said as a person with family living in Cuba. I would hardly say their economy is doing better then ours. If that were the case we wouldnt be sending money and such to family in Cuba to survive

Raul, 76, has ordered a series of small but significant economic reforms, from letting Cubans own cell phones to allowing farmers to till their own land — ideas that Fidel doesn't always find communist kosher. [LEFT]
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...#ixzz1Fn53nm1Q
[/LEFT]

Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Capitalism sucks.
Keep in mind that there can be different brands of capitalism depending on the country. There are no pure free market capitalist countries.

Anyway this breaksdown the different brands of capitalism.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 PM

I don't trust FOX "News" as far as I can throw them.

Any failure of Cuba's system is due to corruption, lack of democracy and/or extremism, not the system itself. I'm not saying let's abolish all private business! I'm saying it should be tightly regulated -- wage controls, price controls, employment quotas -- and it should compete with publicly-owned firms.

Also, how is the U.S. healthcare system for the millions of uninsured? It's not so good for those who DON'T have access to healthcare at all, or have to go into bankruptcy after getting medical treatment they couldn't afford. I'd rather have crappy healthcare than NO healthcare.

For-profit healthcare is evil. Period.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
Good, go to Cuba. Capitalism has too many losers, parasites, and hanger ons as it is. Go somewhere where they drive Trabants.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:

Any failure of Cuba's system is due to corruption, lack of democracy and/or extremism, not the system itself. I'm not saying let's abolish all private business! I'm saying it should be tightly regulated -- wage controls, price controls, employment quotas -- and it should compete with publicly-owned firms.

Also, how is the U.S. healthcare system for the millions of uninsured? It's not so good for those who DON'T have access to healthcare at all, or have to go into bankruptcy after getting medical treatment they couldn't afford? I'd rather have crappy healthcare than NO healthcare. For-profit healthcare is evil. Period.
Fox isnt on the 1st video but I think you should watch the fox video and learn something.

lmbo@ Cubas problem is corruption. NO its problems is its run by a dictator that is a communist. So yes it is the system its self that is the problem.

No American is ever going to walk into a doctors office of hospital that is going to come close to those in Cuba. You really do need to do some more research or listen to those with family living in Cuba before you try and pretend to know how grand it is.

I also love how you ignore the rest of the post about the economy in cuba that you think is doing so much better then ours. Trying moving to Cuba and living in the conditions they do. Then tell me how well their economy is doing

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Also, how is the U.S. healthcare system for the millions of uninsured? It's not so good for those who DON'T have access to healthcare at all, or have to go into bankruptcy after getting medical treatment they couldn't afford. I'd rather have crappy healthcare than NO healthcare.

For-profit healthcare is evil. Period.
You are calling for government created shortages,inflated prices and reduced competition.
How will these things this benefit the consumer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies