Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Obamas new Gitmo policy
ok with it 6 26.09%
really not happy about it 7 30.43%
glad he is doing the right thing 6 26.09%
worry's me he is moving to the center, to get reelected 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Obama was unwilling to stick his neck out one bit to do what was right.
There is sticking one's neck out and there is tilting at windmills. When you have 90 of 100 Senators voting against you, sticking one's neck out is total waste of time and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Ahw isnt that empathetic of you ...do you give all elected officials such grace for going back on campaign promises? Listen , If you dont know for sure that you can do something you dont go shooting your mouth off about it. Were talking about the POTUS here.......funny how a lot of other people knew he wouldn't be able to do it and said so.
Yes, because I realize the world is not set in stone. Plus, I know they all lie. One would have to be a true believer to believe all campaign promises are met.

Do you believe they are all met? If not, then why act shocked when one isn't met? If so, then Ok, I guess there's one person in the world who believes all campaign promises are met. I, however, have been around the block a while, and realize they don't/can't keep them all.

Other people said he couldn't/wouldn't do other things, and he did them and I'm glad you see it from both sides. Someimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I'm glad it's that way.

Can you imagine if abortion was illegal? Some want that. They want women to die in some back alley. But, those idiots lost, and women have access to a real doctor, and real parental planning.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Can you imagine if abortion was illegal? Some want that. They want women to die in some back alley. But, those idiots lost, and women have access to a real doctor, and real parental planning.
what ?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I just told you. Try them in court rather than hold them for decades without trial. He's already given a few civilians trials with convictions. Some have won military court cases and he still holds them. Put them on a C130 back to Afghanistan. They don't even have any evidence on most of these people. They've been held for almost a decade now. There is no funding or authority issue.
And does that tell you something?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is a question for all those who voted for Obama , If I remember correctly "Closing Gitmo" was one of the Biggies for the Hope and Change crowd.......How do you like him now? Obama Restarts Guantanamo Trials
It's funny how, on so many policy positions and issue we on the right were taking, that 0bama was diametrically opposed to, he now embraces.

Why did 0bama flip on closing Gitmo, not immediately pulling troops out of Iraq, and the Bush tax cuts, etc...

So either:

#1 0bama was playing politics, and really held those views all along

or

#2 0bama was a clueless, idealistic simp, and once he was exposed to common sense and reality, he wised up.

or

#3 0bama still holds his previous views on the issues, and is playing politics now.

Which is it? Or is there a fourth?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
His problems started when he was goigto move the trials to New york where 9-11 occured and the states lawmakers said no way. He couldn;t get the co-operation of his own party in the state. No one else wanted it it their stae since it happened in new york.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:47 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's funny how, on so many policy positions and issue we on the right were taking, that 0bama was diametrically opposed to, he now embraces.

Why did 0bama flip on closing Gitmo, not immediately pulling troops out of Iraq, and the Bush tax cuts, etc...

So either:

#1 0bama was playing politics, and really held those views all along

or

#2 0bama was a clueless, idealistic simp, and once he was exposed to common sense and reality, he wised up.

or

#3 0bama still holds his previous views on the issues, and is playing politics now.

Which is it? Or is there a fourth?
Basically #1. Like in any election they poll the US voters on hot topics like the war, economy etc. and then pander their comments to the majority.

Obama was saying what it took to get elected. In reality the guy is fairly moderate as a number of the far-left have lamented openly.

I'm hoping a whole bunch of young voters have become independants after voting for Obama and realizing they've largely been had because politically the difference between McCain and Obama is about a paper widths different.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Basically #1. Like in any election they poll the US voters on hot topics like the war, economy etc. and then pander their comments to the majority.

Obama was saying what it took to get elected. In reality the guy is fairly moderate as a number of the far-left have lamented openly.
It does not make him a moderate, just because he changed his mind on an issue. A person can be an idealistic lefty, who thought it was a great idea to close Gitmo, or pull out all the troops "Not in six months or one year – now." but when reality hits them in the face, they realize they were wrong. It does not make them a moderate, it makes them a left-winger who just found out how wrong they were all along.

Quote:
I'm hoping a whole bunch of young voters have become independants after voting for Obama and realizing they've largely been had because politically the difference between McCain and Obama is about a paper widths different.
This is what happens when people take up positions on issues out of ignorance, or are driven to adopt them out of ideology. That is why being well versed in history behind an issue is so important.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It does not make him a moderate, just because he changed his mind on an issue. A person can be an idealistic lefty, who thought it was a great idea to close Gitmo, or pull out all the troops "Not in six months or one year – now." but when reality hits them in the face, they realize they were wrong. It does not make them a moderate, it makes them a left-winger who just found out how wrong they were all along.

This is what happens when people take up positions on issues out of ignorance, or are driven to adopt them out of ideology. That is why being well versed in history behind an issue is so important.
He didn't change his mind on the issue. He took an unpopular item (GITMO) and used it to get votes. Politics 101.

Heck, a big part of the platform was anti-war (remember Cindy Sheehan?). They used the issue to get elected like any politician.

Remember the high gas prices of 2008? Hillary was promising to "take those profits" and then was one of the leading recipients of Exxon campaign money (#2 behind Obama actually).

Bush promised tough action on Cuba to help win Florida....and they fell for it and then he ignored Cuba. He didn't change his mind, he's a politician....you promise what people want to hear and then you do what you can\want.

P.S. I just think you are pretty partisan and so you are describing the opposition of being dumb and then changing their minds. In reality, they were smart enough to tell the dumb voters what they wanted to hear and thus won the election. This is how Bush beat McCain in the primaries wayyyyy back when and McCain was too honest to just BS the rep base like Bush did and as a result lost.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
He didn't change his mind on the issue. He took an unpopular item (GITMO) and used it to get votes. Politics 101.

Heck, a big part of the platform was anti-war (remember Cindy Sheehan?). They used the issue to get elected like any politician.

Remember the high gas prices of 2008? Hillary was promising to "take those profits" and then was one of the leading recipients of Exxon campaign money (#2 behind Obama actually).

Bush promised tough action on Cuba to help win Florida....and they fell for it and then he ignored Cuba. He didn't change his mind, he's a politician....you promise what people want to hear and then you do what you can\want.

P.S. I just think you are pretty partisan and so you are describing the opposition of being dumb and then changing their minds. In reality, they were smart enough to tell the dumb voters what they wanted to hear and thus won the election. This is how Bush beat McCain in the primaries wayyyyy back when and McCain was too honest to just BS the rep base like Bush did and as a result lost.
Why are they dumb voters? Gitmo wasn't even on the radar as priority issues. I held my nose at voted for Obama because he was the best choice between the two. I was under no illusions he was a fighter for liberal causes. He has done some things to my liking that McCain would not have done. Advance the cause towards universal health care, and appoint two progressive Supreme Court justices, for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies