Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My definition of feminism is based on men and women deserving equal social, political and economic opportunity.

Liberalism which seeks to pit the sexes against each other doesn't lead to equal opportunity or mutual respect and shouldn't be called feminism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
As is mine. That's exactly what I said above.

See this is where I have a huge problem. Who exactly is pitting the sexes against each other, and I want proof not theories. You won't be able to find anything because it's just not true. This perpetrated fantasy that feminists hate men, and on and on is just a lie.

Who said feminism pitted the sexes against each other or feminists hate men?

I said liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Women are the majority in this country yet they act like some minority victim. Quit acting like a victim in need of a movement and people will stop treating you like a victim.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Women are the majority in this country yet they act like some minority victim. Quit acting like a victim in need of a movement and people will stop treating you like a victim.
Not all woman but surprisingly it is the feminist women who do. The women who you would think would be capable and independent seem to be the bigest whiners.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Ya, bloated entitlists complain that women are whiners while they sit back and soak up all the benefits these "whiners" have gotten for THEM.

So, please don't vote(those "whiners" got you that right).

Ask your boss to cut your pay to less than your male counterparts get because "whiners" got you the right to equal pay.

And when your male co-workers grope and rape you , please, do not "whine" about it.

Please give up all your property and wealth to your husband...and when he takes it and leaves don't whine....the "whiners" got YOU the right to own your own property.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
A feminist is someone who believes men and women are equal and should be treated as such. That's IT. Some of the "definitions" on here are laughable.

You can be a homemaker with eight kids and still be a feminist.

Some of you are so young you don't even remember what it was like before all the changes were made. I am 52 years old

I remember when we got our FIRST female engineer at the place where I work, with a 600-person engineering department. Early 80's.

I remember when I saw the first female mail carrier in my town. I remember when I first started seeing female police regularly officers in New York City.

I once met the woman who wrote the first article that was published in a national magazine (Woman's Day) about the never-talked-about phenomenon of men who beat their wives and got away with it under the law and that started people talking about this and eventually for domestic violence laws to be put into place. That article came out in 1976. Maybe if you were born in 1989 that's a long time ago to you, but it really, really isn't. Men who killed their wives in a fit of rage or drunkenness were walking the streets. Women who killed their abusive husbands in self-defense were in prison for life. 35 years ago, that's all.

I like to buy old magazines at garages sales. I have a Life magazine from 1969. One of the airlines has a full-page ad showing pretty American women and pretty Asian women in "Stewardess" attire with the headline "Now we have Orientals to get you where you're going and American girls to make you feel at home". Targeted toward businessMEN, of course, as if they were hookers or something.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-09-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who said feminism pitted the sexes against each other or feminists hate men?

I said liberals.
Yes, you were very specific in your so far unsupported by anything factual allegation.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpokerpoker View Post
And there are just as many women who hate men. And those are the ones I hate back.

I only hate those who hate me.
Maybe they’re not feminists and hate you, or are all women who hate you feminists?
How would you know who hates you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Feminism became a dirty word when the pendulum swang too far off the mark.

Equal pay for equal work, sure - what reasonable person can't see the fairness in that?

But when feminazi types do their best to convince other women that all men are dogs and that no real woman "needs" one in her life they are hurting the very fabic of our society.

Note to radical feminists - Real women love men, real women value men, real women understand the importance of giving their children involved fathers.
I see you listen to Rush with the feminazi meme.
How many women do this? I think that men who dismiss and hurt women are hurting the very fabric of our society.
So nice to hear that another man knows how to define what a woman is and how she should behave. Thanks so much for your input. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Feminism is not monolithic in nature. For example, there are anti-(hetero)sex feminists, but there are also sex-positive feminists who adore the sexual companionship of men. There are feminists who believe in true equality for both males and females, and there are those who support the notion of equality only when it's beneficial to women.
Agreed.

I think the negative stereotypes of feminism arise from the increasing influence of its more radical elements of thought (Mackinnon, Dworkin, Craft, et al.). Radical feminism seems largely structured on a virulently anti-male platform which tends to politicize virtually every aspect of female/male relationships. By its very structure, it sets up females as oppressed and males as oppressors. Women and girls become "victims" by virtue of their being female.
I understand what you’re saying but I disagree. That’s your definition of “radical” feminism. I would think that you’re younger. I remember when I couldn’t own a credit card because I didn’t have a man/husband to sign for it. My mother couldn’t get a card at all and had a hard time getting the house transferred to her name when my father died.
For most of our existence men have been oppressors. We were not considered equal and feminism is simply about equality. Read the posts around CD where women who enjoy sex are called whores and lesser than; see how men have no problem with women having lower salaries, etc. There are a lot of negative posts about women in general on CD.

What should constitute feminism is a dedication to sex-based equality. With the understanding that equality is a two-way street: earned praise is balanced by legitimate criticism, rewards are measured through achievement, and respect goes hand-in-hand with responsibility.
Nice paragraph, but who gets to decide what that is? Men who hate women? Because there are a lot of them, especially on CD.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Default What do you think makes a woman a feminist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A feminist is someone who believes men and women are equal and should be treated as such. That's IT. Some of the "definitions" on here are laughable.

You can be a homemaker with eight kids and still be a feminist.
You are correct of course with your definition of a feminist as others have previously confirmed.

However the OP didn't ask what the definition of the word but "what do you think makes a woman a feminist?"

So it goes beyond the mere meaning.

And I think a lot of people have expressed such.
I personally feel woman have it quite good in our country and it seems woman that are unhappy with their plight sometimes take on feminism in a more militant and unattractive way thus the negative rap.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I personally feel woman have it quite good in our country and it seems woman that are unhappy with their plight sometimes take on feminism in a more militant and unattractive way thus the negative rap.
Fair enough. If you were a woman, would "quite good" be good enough for you, or would you keep on working towards equality?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Those feminists that complain because a man didn’t pay for her food, drinks, wine, entertainment, etc. and didn’t open her door, hold the umbrella, etc. just cherry pick where they want equality and where it doesn’t benefit them.
Then these females wouldn’t be feminists. Just because you’re a woman, it doesn’t mean that you’re a feminist. I must say that all women have benefitted from feminists and the feminist movement of the 60-70s. Women can work outside of the home, have careers, raise families, etc.Feminists cry for equality. I guess a feminist would be the one who REALLY means it when she says she wants equality in the work field, manners (chivalry going both ways), in relationships (both paying right off the bat and not after months/years of initial stages), romancing, marriage proposal, etc.
Yes, I’d agree with that. Many of us have that in our lives. Although this feminist doesn’t want to be involved in a marriage, I believe it should be a mutual decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpokerpoker View Post
ONLY women feel the need to make such a point all the time that they're alot more happy while being single... I have never seen a man say he would never like to have a woman. But I've seen more than plenty of women say they never want a man. Femenist or not.
Yes, many women are a lot happier being single; I know many men who feel the same way.
You know, it’s feminist, not femEnist; I wonder if you even recognize that you purposely put the word “men” in the middle of feminist. Freudian? Ever think that there are a lot of women who have high standards and perhaps not every man they meet is for them. Women have the choice (as do men) of deciding what to do with their lives and determine if they want a relationship or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute
Most women who refer to themselves as feminists really do hate men, they resent men. There are women who don't feel at all inferior, make good money, can compete on equal terms but would never call themselves feminists.
I resemble your description and I’m a feminist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A normal woman might transform into a feminist because these radical feminists has spread their propaganda. She now sees men different and now wants women for a partner.

Feminism promotes gender segregation, although I'm in favor or gender segregation for different reasons.
Oh please, aren’t you the poster who writes that women are whores if they get pregnant or have an abortion?
Perhaps it’s women wanting equality that makes them feminists.
Perhaps men just aren’t that important in their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies