Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times

Advertisements

This is Very sad. I really feel for her and her family. When is the White House going to grow a pair and do something about this sort of thing. I sure hope the AZ suit gets more leverage because of this.

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico -- Armed men kidnapped an American university professor while she was visiting her mother in the violent Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez, the state prosecutor's office said Saturday.

The American was identified as Veronica Perez Rodriguez, an archeologist at Northern Arizona University.

At least 39 U.S. citizens were killed in 2010 in Ciudad Juarez, which has 1.3 million people. It is Mexico's most violent city, according to a report by state prosecutors.

Read more: American Professor Kidnapped in Mexican Border City - FoxNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default when a kidnapping is used "to score political points"

That kidnapping was a statistical anomoly if you can believe the top US expert on national security, Janet Napolitano.

"Napolitano said there was no crisis, asserting that the “border is as secure now as it has ever been," despite the people "looking to score political points" by suggesting otherwise.

"The numbers tell the story, and they do not lie,” she said: violent crime is down on the US side of the border, while seizures of illegal weapons, drugs, and cash are up. The new measures should only improve things."

Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Janet Napolitano reminds me of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrXhxmQJSS0

Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That kidnapping was a statistical anomoly if you can believe the top US expert on national security, Janet Napolitano.

"Napolitano said there was no crisis, asserting that the “border is as secure now as it has ever been," despite the people "looking to score political points" by suggesting otherwise.

"The numbers tell the story, and they do not lie,” she said: violent crime is down on the US side of the border, while seizures of illegal weapons, drugs, and cash are up. The new measures should only improve things."
Yup..if she says there is no problem then by George, there is no problem.
She has bigger problems with Americans trying to sneak apple sauce into planes at the airports.

I guess the cartel style beheading in AZ was an anomaly too ?
And those 3 American teenagers killed at a Mexican car dealer was an anomaly too ?
And the Texas ranchers who were driven off their ranches by Los Zetas was an anomaly too ?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yup..if she says there is no problem then by George, there is no problem.
She has bigger problems with Americans trying to sneak apple sauce into planes at the airports.

I guess the cartel style beheading in AZ was an anomaly too ?
And those 3 American teenagers killed at a Mexican car dealer was an anomaly too ?
And the Texas ranchers who were driven off their ranches by Los Zetas was an anomaly too ?
They think if they keep reporting the way they "want and wish" it to be then the people will believe it. I mean it worked during the elections.
Never mind the Legal Americans that are being killed and kidnapped etc. America has to stay in good with the Mexican President.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
I could be wrong but I believe I heard they released her.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
NAU officials said Rodriguez had fallen victim to an "express kidnapping," which is described by a Bureau of Consular Affairs website as an attempt "to get quick cash in exchange for the release of an individual."

However, Perez later emailed NAU colleagues after the kidnapping, telling them she was safe and with family, the Republic said.

Read more: Arizona Professor Safe With Family After Kidnapping in Mexico - FoxNews.com

Northern Arizona University Professor Veronica Perez Rodriguez Kidnapped at Gunpoint in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (UPDATE: Found Safe)

As stated at GretaWire, Dear Mr. President, there is a war going on in Mexico and our US-Mexican border. Previously, Secretary Clinton said that Mexico is ‘like Columbia of 20 years ago.’ For her actions, she was rebuked by both President Calderone and President Obama. How many more murders, kidnappings and drugs need to flow across the border before this administration will take notice?

UPDATE I: FOX News Phoenix is reporting that Northern Arizona University Professor Veronica Perez Rodriguez has been found safe after being kidnapped. Veronica Perez Rodriguez said to be a victim of “express kidnapping”. The all to common practice in Mexico of kidnapping Mexicans who appear to be wealthy or middle class for fast cash ransom.

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2011/03/12/...e-founds-safe/

Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
American Professor Kidnapped in Mexican Border City

When is the White House going to grow a pair and do something about this sort of thing.
What can/should they do about kidnappings in a foreign country?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
They did - and within hours. She was released and happily emailing and texting her friends. Kidnap for ransom is very common place in Juarez, people need money for a variety of reasons after all. In these kidnap for ransom cases the victim is quickly released unharmed as soon as a small ransom is paid.

Here's another kidnapping in the news:

Elderly Woman Survives Juarez Kidnapping | KTSM News Channel 9

Police were able to rescue the woman and arrest the kidnappers during a $3,000 ransom exchange.

Our reporter in Mexico said one of the kidnappers could be a neighbor or relative of the victim.

We're told that one of the kidnappers is a 15-year-old girl.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
They think if they keep reporting the way they "want and wish" it to be then the people will believe it. I mean it worked during the elections.
Never mind the Legal Americans that are being killed and kidnapped etc. America has to stay in good with the Mexican President.
This woman wasn't kidnapped for being an American - she was kidnapped because of her Mexican ties and family money. Not a single innocent American-only tourist has been kidnapped yet.

The kidnappers aren't as inclined to kidnap an American because they don't know who has money and they really would prefer to keep the US government out of it.

A lot of the kidnapping is being done by high school aged kids - just like much of the extortion is. And a lot of these kidnappers and extortionists are free-lancing groups, not part of a cartel but the extortionists will claim they are because it invokes more fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies